CPA Basketball

bjl1929

Krbks,

I have no problem admitting that great players make great coaches look good. That doesn't mean he is not a great coach though. In fact in some ways it affirms it since most of the great players at CPA chose to attend CPA in part due to the fact that he is a great coach and a good man and mentor.

I remember CPA winning 20 games in Coach Maddux' 4th season with no future college players on the team. That year there were church teams in Nashville that had more talent than than CPA. It was possibly one of his best coaching jobs that year and they probably lost in the first round of the playoffs.

I've seen enough of his practices and camps to know he is a great coach. I've seen his teams execute. I've watched young men play unselfishly playing for him. I've seen brash young middle schoolers grow into men of Godly character under him. That's plenty to support that he's a great coach in my opinion. You're entitled to disagree though.

What I don't understand is why you continue to attack and criticize him, CPA's players , administrators, and families for going on 9 years now on Coach T? At what point will you feel the freedom to just let it go? At what point will you allow yourself to forgive people that hurt you and move on? You're a man of great talent and incredibly smart. Seems to me your passion and energy devoted to Coach T posting could be used for good in so many other areas of your life that would impact the Kingdom of God for good. There are so many other positive things you could be doing with your time that would help people in need. Coach a team of underprivileged youth or something like that. There are people that need your coaching abilities more than the readers on Coach T. May God Bless you and release you from this burden you must feel. I really mean that with all sincerity.

• Upvote 1

All you have to do is look down the bench and see how great a coach, Coach Maddux is.  Most of the players on the bench a few years ago would not have been starters for several of the  teams in the state, now after a couple years under coach, they play with confidence and with talent.  Just look at some of these guys:  Ben Dreher, Micah Davis, Evan Ragsdale, Ryland Harris, Sam Johnson, Paul Adams etc.  I will argue that Braxton Bonds, Thomas Richard, Jake Allsmiller, Parker Howell and Braxton Blackwell have all gotten better under coach, his system and the fact that they are all committed to the hard work and dedication it takes to player for Drew.  Most kids could not handle it.  Look at some of the other players I didn't mention and watch them flourish.

Let me try a response for both ICM and coach77 (though I did answer ICM on page 7/post 70).  Disagreeing or asking someone to defend their position is certainly not attacking and not even criticizing.  What I do like about coach77 is he does make the attempt to defend what he posts in a way that is in the spirit of discussion and debate.  (Of course others not so much.)  I appreciate that coach77 made the case of why he thinks Coach Maddux is a great coach beyond what he has previously pointed too (since I definitely agree the real mark of a great coach is never determined by W's.) 

But If you and others choose to bring up a subject and I and others choose to disagree what is the problem as long as we are doing it in the spirit of discussion and debate?  Why is challenging your ideas or asking you defend or even asking questions is criticism or attack?  For example, you thought a great coaching job was done in 2010 (Lindsey's 8th grade year) even though they lost in the regions (again, you brought it up, not me).  Others may counter that was an opportunity to excel even further when the talent was not there for a great coach.  They could also point to 2009 and 2011 when the talent was there to advance beyond regions and actually considered an upset when they did not.  And then they could say state championships were only won when the talent and experience became far superior to others.  In a fan's mind is that the mark of a great coach?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  Now I am nothing more than a fan of sport, why can't I be involved in a discussion that I have knowledge about?  IMO, I should be allowed that freedom just as I allow you yours and not be viewed as though I am attacking or criticizing. 

I was brought into this discussion by others many years ago.  There are many posts that I know not to be true or that I disagree with, yet my responses are considered attacking.  I invested 9 years into CPA, two children graduated and I should have as much right to my opinion as anyone who supports CPA even when we disagree.  When CPA supporters give up their right to post in support then I will give up my rights to post when I disagree, fair enough?  But let's be consistent and fair even if we don't agree with others.  All these years people have missed the point because they have misjudged my motive.  My motives are based on consistency, fairness and most importantly truth.  What is good for the goose should be good for the gander.  Certainly up to all of you to choose what you believe, but I do not have to receive it or accept it when I know it is not true. 

And feel free to provide an example of an "attacking" statement, possibly we don't agree on the defintion.  Simply because I am not positive or do not agree or even ask questions to get more information does not mean it is attack.  When it gets to name calling, mocking, judging motives, etc. that I consider an attack.

At the risk of being accused of "attacking" anyone I will make my final post....possibly....on this subject. Having read and posted on the many threads re: CPA that always turn dark I agree it usually appears us CPA supporters resort to negative comments to those we feel are wrongly throwing out accusations. Most of mine have been directed to a previouys coach that is obviously well educated, basketball knowledgeable, and loves to show it. My problem with him is his technique is similar to that used by the Progressive/Liberal politician in that if you say a lot and use vague language you prove to people you know more than them, are smarter, and therefore more correct. Look at the length and depth of the posts. He often makes "insinuations" and when you counter he requests more proof than Judge Judy demands while putting no proof of his own on the table. Long ago his proof of recruiting was a reference to someone in the know at a high level. Once again the old insinuation of I know something you don't know. He has insinuated I may not know the full story of why my grandson attended CPA because I may not have been present at "all conversations" that lead to him choosing CPA. Only an insinuation on his part but the message was clear. Bottom line is kbrks I don't like the tone and insinuation you have used against CPA over the years, I don't like the methods you use on Coach T and then accuse others of bullying you, I don't like your insinuation you are smarter than everyone else on here especially those that disagree with you, and basically I don't like you. I know that breaks your heart but there it is.

I know I have given you CPA fans grief recently regarding the transfers in particular to BB, however I believe that most of this would stop if the TSSAA stepped in and made a rule that AAU coaches would not be allowed to coach ANY player they coach in AAU in high school. This rule would apply to both PUBLIC and PRIVATES . This would still allow high school coaches to earn extra income they may need, but would take any accusation of recruiting, true or not, out of the equation.

Sure I know many if you may say this is not fair to the player who wants to be coached by the same person year round, however most kids who play in college are recruited at AAU anyhow vs high school. The TSSAA should draw the line. Again, this is not only for CPA but any coach at any high school in TN.

I know I have given you CPA fans grief recently regarding the transfers in particular to BB, however I believe that most of this would stop if the TSSAA stepped in and made a rule that AAU coaches would not be allowed to coach ANY player they coach in AAU in high school. This rule would apply to both PUBLIC and PRIVATES . This would still allow high school coaches to earn extra income they may need, but would take any accusation of recruiting, true or not, out of the equation.

Sure I know many if you may say this is not fair to the player who wants to be coached by the same person year round, however most kids who play in college are recruited at AAU anyhow vs high school. The TSSAA should draw the line. Again, this is not only for CPA but any coach at any high school in TN.

This is too logical for the TSSAA to consider. Imagine what would have happened with Shelbyville years ago if this was a rule.

DAD1 you are way off on what "possibly" may be your last post on the matter. I am not insinuating anything. I do know what others do not know because we all have different experiences and sources of information, this is a fact not an insinuation. I consider those sources credible for very good reason. I have offered examples in the past only to be confronted with too much information or not enough information. It is not going to make a difference with those like you who are going to believe what they want to believe. As far as your grandson, I simply repeated what you stated, it is not on insinuation. I have also stated that I have heard nothing in regards to violations in how your grandson ended up at CPA. Honestly, I wish it were the case with all examples because I am an advocate of Christian athletics and what it should stand for. If the information were different I'd be the first to say it. But when people get "barbecued" for speaking truth, I have a reponse. I'll keep saying it, CPA and certain posters have no one to blame but themselves, yet the finger keeps getting pointed elsewhere.

This is too logical for the TSSAA to consider. Imagine what would have happened with Shelbyville years ago if this was a rule.

All that will mean is that the "coach" is someone appointed by the high school coach. The high school coach will be seated on the second row directly behind the bench. Might as well wear headsets and call the plays in from the 2nd row.

Bottom line, if all these kids had grown up at CPA like the old Brian Stone, Cooper Wallace etc. days then nobody would say anything. Instead, you wait until you can identify the best players other people have worked hard with and then round them up. What about all the kids that have been there on the 5/6th grade team and middle school team that are suddenly pushed aside so the all-star team can move in? You cannot possibly tell me that everyone is ok with that.

All that will mean is that the "coach" is someone appointed by the high school coach. The high school coach will be seated on the second row directly behind the bench. Might as well wear headsets and call the plays in from the 2nd row.

Bottom line, if all these kids had grown up at CPA like the old Brian Stone, Cooper Wallace etc. days then nobody would say anything. Instead, you wait until you can identify the best players other people have worked hard with and then round them up. What about all the kids that have been there on the 5/6th grade team and middle school team that are suddenly pushed aside so the all-star team can move in? You cannot possibly tell me that everyone is ok with that.

That is a bold statement, if you can identify which kids are not happy, please let us know.

That is a bold statement, if you can identify which kids are not happy, please let us know.

Try to improve your reading comprehension skills. I said " You cannot tell me that everyone is ok with that." I did not mention any particular person at any time. Therefore, there is nothing for me to identify. You merely inserted your own insinuation of my "bold statement" which by the way is hardly "bold".

Do you want to say that no kids have left CPA due to this? Can you say that? In all honesty?

Coaches in the Knoxville area have turned to coaching the middle school AAU kids. What a great way to identify talent and see how they perform against talented peers rather than average middle school competition. Then you can target your more talented kids to join you once they hit the high school ranks + you've developed a relationship with not only the kids but the parents and potential teammates. All of this would fall outside the TSSAA guidelines.

Big Chief- You are dead on with the convenient second row seating. I had one official come to the bench of the opposing team and tell the high school coach to quit coaching and move into the last row of the stands or he was calling the TSSAA and tell them HE was coaching his team out of season.