CPA Basketball

bjl1929

1.  Simple.  Accomplishments and name recognition.  If Gino Torreta were the girls basketball coach, then it would have.

2.  How many players on the current roster does this apply?

3.  We need names to convict.  Otherwise it's just hearsay.

4.  I'm a credible source.

Why don't you go sniff out all alleged rules violations against all other high school programs?  Why do you only attack CPA?  What's your end game?

1.  I guess this is your answer for the girls, but what about the boys, I was under the impression you (and others) thought Coach Maddux had this name recognition (e.g. former SEC player and reputation for developing players)?   Why hasn't this influx continued?  And if you are trying to make reference to Geno Auriemma, UConn women, you would be sadly mistaken if you don't think he, Coach K, or anyone at college level does not have to recruit because players will simply come to them simply based on their success and name recognition. 

2.  3 current, 2 former

3.  No you do not since you are not in a position nor do you have any authority to convict.  Also, I can testify to what someone tells me, that is an exception to hearsay (at least that is what they say on Law and Order).  And I have been around long enough to know who is credible and who is not, who has an agenda and who is simply credible. 

4.  Not a credible source to me since I do not know you.

5.  That is where you have it wrong, I do not sniff out anything, the information comes to me.  My "end game" is providing an honest view of a topic that interests people, obviously I can provide a perspective that others can not. 

Richard and Bonds came in 6th grade (maybe 7th) and they were not elite bball players, they were 12 year old kids.  Coach Maddux has taken them to the level they are today. 

Jett, Jett, Jett- surely you know that is not true- Richard came in 8th grade, Bonds came in 8th grade (after 6th grade at BGA and 7th grade at Woodland).  And you forgot to mention- Jalen Lindsey came in the same 8th grade (from Murfreesboro) and Jake Allsmiller came in the 8th grade (from Grassland)- and all 4 of them just happened to come the same year.

Krbks,

Did you allow non CPA students attend your summer basketball camp? To my knowledge those have always been open. Maybe I'm wrong.

What if a non CPA kid's parent asked you about attending CPA at camp? Did you tell them they couldn't come because they attended your camp? What if they asked you about the basketball program?

I've seen first hand how those inquiries are handled at CPA because I've had kids in those camps and clinics and the rules are followed. I've seen it in baseball, basketball and football.

I'm very familiar with some of the kids and the families that have come to CPA that you seem to refer to in your posts. I know first hand in one high profile transfer it was 100 percent the kid's parents seeking CPA. They applied and almost enrolled two years prior to when he actually transferred. They Didn't transfer initially because they felt pressured by other local folks in their community so he stayed on their community hs team initially. But Eventually they changed their minds and reapplied and pursued CPA hard. They were getting away from a bad coaching situation and wanted a great role model and mentor for their son. They knew the rules before they ever applied and followed them every step of the way as did CPA coaches and administrators. Bernard Childress was consulted every step of the way as well. People on the outside cried foul but those close to the situation knew it was the parents and the kid wanting and pursuing CPA. Kid was 4.0 student and model citizen and a great athlete. CPA was wise to accept the transfer and the young man is a great and loyal alum that speaks highly of CPA and coach Maddux.

Regarding AAU...

Coach Maddux coaches his daughters teams now in AAU or local tournaments. He does do camps and clinics through Nike Elite camps.

A few other CPA coaches coach young AAU teams 6th grade and below which is all perfectly fine and within the TSSAA rules. So many non CPA kids benefit from this program and these teams. My child played on one and did not attend CPA at the time. There were only 2 CPA kids on that team.

I see first hand where Coach Maddux and other CPA coaches are great role models and mentors to kids that will never attend CPA through camps and AAU teams. Their mission is so much bigger than basketball though. There are service projects, team building exercises, character training and more. And oh yeah... Great basketball coaching. They are great ambassadors for the game. That should never stop. There are so many bad youth coaches out there that parents flock to the good ones. The world needs good role models and coaches. I'm just disappointed when people criticize good ones because they win.

I'm sorry Krbks but the innuendo and insinuations you make on here don't tell the real story. the real truth you claim to pursue is not what you portray on here. The real truth is quite the opposite. Coach Maddux is a man dedicated to helping others. Yes, some of his former AAU kids ended up at CPA but as other posters pointed out 75-80 percent of the kids on those teams don't attend CPA. Other schools benefited from the coaching and mentoring he gave them.

If you care about kids and their development then do something positive like coach, teach, and mentor. Don't waste your time criticizing other coaches on a message board. I know first hand that your false claims and half truths hurt kids and their families. Why do you want to keep doing that? Is it vengeance you are seeking? Test yourself. It's been almost nine years of you doing this so it makes people wonder.

You're protected by free speech and just the fact that others at CPA just lack any desire to engage with you. So you can keep going for 9 more years if that's what you want. It's your choice and right. I just think about all those hours you spend reading and posting and wonder what would happen if you used that energy to help young people again rather than hurt them.

Do you ever think about that?

• Upvote 1

Agreed 100% with LookingAround:  Most of the kids, Allsmiller, Richard, Howell and Bonds, all played with Coach Duke (whose son Jalen plays and I believe is the leading scorer for MLK)  - Howell has been at CPA since kindergarten.  These kids have been great friends since 5th grade and have always wanted to play together.   Their parents are strong Christians and wanted to keep the kids together at CPA.  There is no strategy here folks.  Are they all AAU players, absolutely.  But they are all also Gym rats and have bought into the system Coach Maddux has of hard work and dedication.  Manual is also one of the players on the team and sometimes is a starter.  He also has been at CPA since kindergarten.  Richard and Bonds came in 6th grade (maybe 7th) and they were not elite bball players, they were 12 year old kids.  Coach Maddux has taken them to the level they are today. 

I hope CPA continues to draw top level students and athletic talent in all programs so that we have the best opportunity to play at the highest level and compete for state championships.  We have recently one them in Boys and Girls Bball, Girls Soccer, Golf, Tennis, been to the state championships this past year in Football, Men's soccer and are close to getting to that level in baseball and volleyball.  The real difference between CPA and the publics is not elite players, it is elite coaching and coaching staffs.  Kids want to play for them so they are attracting great talent. 

Should CPA be in D2, maybe, maybe not, quite frankly, as a CPA parent, I am fine either way.  However for the next 3 years we are in the Publics until the time comes for TSSAA to change it again.  Sorry folks, it is what it is.

Jett, Jett, Jett- surely you know that is not true- Richard came in 8th grade, Bonds came in 8th grade (after 6th grade at BGA and 7th grade at Woodland).  And you forgot to mention- Jalen Lindsey came in the same 8th grade (from Murfreesboro) and Jake Allsmiller came in the 8th grade (from Grassland)- and all 4 of them just happened to come the same year.

Jett, I have read Coach T for quite some time and know you are a long time CPA fan and poster. You are not a novice who just signed up yesterday to cause trouble. Based upon this I believe we all can assume you speak for and represent many CPA fans, staff, alumni, supporters.

Please respond to the post calling out your information, and don't insult us by advising you were just guessing, estimating the arrival of the above students. What is the truth? If it is true that the named students all came to CPA at the same time, then why do you have to intentionally misrepresent the facts? When you do this you give the impression that you are hiding something or trying to cover up the truth. To other CPA fans (sportsnerd, dad1, etc...) you wonder why everyone outside CPA has a negative opinion of you BB program, this is an example. And don't give me same old line that if you have concrete proof, take it to TSSAA, if you cant prove it, then all is legal. Is stealing legal? It must be acceptable to many of you unless it can be proved. Is this what you want the public perception of your school to be?

This is very close might be off by a year on 1 or two but pretty sure it's right.

Richard came 7th

Bonds in 8th

Lindsey in 8th

Allsmiller 9th

Blackwell 8th

Blackwell is soph so he was two years later. Rest are seniors.

All legally enrolled by rules. None received special benefits. Some kids and families already knew each other prior to CPA through basketball. All looking for same thing. Great coaches and mentors. Great Oppty to play basketball and be coached well. I'm not saying anything you can't read in a tennessean article as far as timing. I'm just close enough to situation in a small close knit community to know rules were followed.

I wont debate TSSAA rules. Just can state rules as they are written were followed.

It's pretty common for a K-12 school to enroll kids in MS. Families like public school options in earlier grades. They look at best options for college prep as they prepare to enter HS. Evaluate academically , spiritually, athletically, socially and decide to enroll their kids after looking at options. CPA is a great value and about $10,000 less per year than some other private schools that offer financial aid.

These are the kids people talk about but team is full of other kids that contribute and work hard. These are great kids from great families that do not deserve criticism. Many kids not mentioned came for same reasons these did and just love game of basketball, or some other activity like fine arts or soccer or baseball. Parents made same decisions these parents made. These kids just happen to be higher profile but are no different than others in how they made their decision.

Others on the team that contribute have been there since K.

Nothing to hide. No grand conspiracy.

This is very close might be off by a year on 1 or two but pretty sure it's right.

Richard came 7th

Bonds in 8th

Lindsey in 8th

Allsmiller 9th

Blackwell 8th

I don't understand why all the CPA people are being so coy here- "might be off by a year on 1 or 2"-

Richard (he came in 8th grade- if he was there in 7th grade he wasn't playing basketball) he was there in 8th grade.

Bond (he came in 8th grade)

Lindsey (he came in 8th grade)

Allsmiller (he came in 8th grade not 9th- I watched him play MS ball for CPA)

All of them came the same year, from the same AAU team (and that team was coached by????).

Blackwell coming in the 8th grade is a different year, different topic and belongs in the discussion with how Bradshaw, Wharton and Blackwell made it to CPA.  And lets not forget- the only part that didn't work was Blackwell being eligible in the 8th grade year- remember the Station Camp forfeit and the 10 games that he played in during his 8th grade year at CPA before being declared ineligible).

it is a pattern- so far it has worked without any adverse ramifications- but it is a pattern none the less.  

Don't really know how all these great players get to the same school at the same time, but it is time for  the TSSAA to totally split private and public schools. Magnet schools (public) are no better than privates when it comes to recruiting. Seems strange that East Nashville was one of the ring leaders in getting CPA bounced out of their district.