CPA Basketball

bjl1929

I need someone to clarify something for me- last month there was an article in the Tennessean that talked about Braxton Bonds' assist to turnover ratio and indicated that it was 8-1.  Then you had a quote from Coach Maddux about what an amazing stat that was.  My question is what period of time was that for- it seems to indicate it is for this year (probably right after the Cascade game where they won by 61 and according to Coach Maddux there were 35 assists in that game).  While I agree that Braxton is a great point guard and can dish out a lot of assists and does not turn the ball over a lot- I find it amazing that once Coach Maddux and the Tennessean discuss an 8-1 ratio- that everybody believes it and it suddenly becomes fact. Its funny- the only people that don't seem to believe it is the Flames Nation (for Liberty University sports)- on their website where they discuss how recruits are doing- they rehash the same stats as in the Tennessean article- except on Assists to Turnover ratio they show 3-1.

Some CPA person who knows let me know- is it 8-1 or 3-1?   

Edited by bjl1929

I havent seen Haywood play this year and I thought they would be State Championship contenders about this time. I watched them play summer ball with 2 teams and they were really good about 3 years ago.This group should be juniors now and I said then that they will be tough to beat there junior and senior year. They also lost 3 kids that transferred who are really good. CPA on the other hand is really good.I thought they would lose more games than they have losing Jalen Lindsey. They are well coached and run their sets to perfection.The point guard really run the team,Allsmiller can shoot it and Blackwell is really talented.Everyone has stepped their games up to another level this year. I would like to see a Haywood and CPA championship but I will roll with CPA.They are hard to press, cant play zone against them and hard to defend man because of how well coached they are. They can really destroy a team.Its hard to pick against them.

I need someone to clarify something for me- last month there was an article in the Tennessean that talked about Braxton Bonds' assist to turnover ratio and indicated that it was 8-1.  Then you had a quote from Coach Maddux about what an amazing stat that was.  My question is what period of time was that for- it seems to indicate it is for this year (probably right after the Cascade game where they won by 61 and according to Coach Maddux there were 35 assists in that game).  While I agree that Braxton is a great point guard and can dish out a lot of assists and does not turn the ball over a lot- I find it amazing that once Coach Maddux and the Tennessean discuss an 8-1 ratio- that everybody believes it and it suddenly becomes fact. Its funny- the only people that don't seem to believe it is the Flames Nation (for Liberty University sports)- on their website where they discuss how recruits are doing- they rehash the same stats as in the Tennessean article- except on Assists to Turnover ratio they show 3-1.

Some CPA person who knows let me know- is it 8-1 or 3-1?   

I have no idea. I read and heard what you did. Having seen about 10 games this year, I will say the 8-1 seems more likely than the 3-1, but who knows. HS stats are erratic at best. I do know some of his TO's are not caused by the defenders but by him trying to make a highlight reel pass. Hey, he's just trying to have some fun. I love watching him play - a true point guard.

I need someone to clarify something for me- last month there was an article in the Tennessean that talked about Braxton Bonds' assist to turnover ratio and indicated that it was 8-1. Then you had a quote from Coach Maddux about what an amazing stat that was. My question is what period of time was that for- it seems to indicate it is for this year (probably right after the Cascade game where they won by 61 and according to Coach Maddux there were 35 assists in that game). While I agree that Braxton is a great point guard and can dish out a lot of assists and does not turn the ball over a lot- I find it amazing that once Coach Maddux and the Tennessean discuss an 8-1 ratio- that everybody believes it and it suddenly becomes fact. Its funny- the only people that don't seem to believe it is the Flames Nation (for Liberty University sports)- on their website where they discuss how recruits are doing- they rehash the same stats as in the Tennessean article- except on Assists to Turnover ratio they show 3-1.

Some CPA person who knows let me know- is it 8-1 or 3-1?

First let me say If I was putting a team together with the best players in Tennesse my first pick would be probaly be Bonds. I think that highly of him yea the kid can't throw a rock in a ocean but neither can Rondo. So when I start hearing this 8 to 1 ratio thrown out a few weeks back I wanted to see if someone could verify it. I look on various website but could not get accurate stats anywhere . So I went to the only recorded game I have of them this season. CPA vs Kenwood after the first half I turned it off and called BS on that stat Bonds had 0 assist and 6 turnovers in the first half. Edited by lookingFORtalent

I don't understand why all the CPA people are being so coy here- "might be off by a year on 1 or 2"-

Richard (he came in 8th grade- if he was there in 7th grade he wasn't playing basketball) he was there in 8th grade.

Bond (he came in 8th grade)

Lindsey (he came in 8th grade)

Allsmiller (he came in 8th grade not 9th- I watched him play MS ball for CPA)

All of them came the same year, from the same AAU team (and that team was coached by????).

Blackwell coming in the 8th grade is a different year, different topic and belongs in the discussion with how Bradshaw, Wharton and Blackwell made it to CPA.  And lets not forget- the only part that didn't work was Blackwell being eligible in the 8th grade year- remember the Station Camp forfeit and the 10 games that he played in during his 8th grade year at CPA before being declared ineligible).

it is a pattern- so far it has worked without any adverse ramifications- but it is a pattern none the less.  

It's a pattern that many current middle school parents expect will continue. There is much talk about who's going to be showing up in the next year or so...a "nationally ranked" 6th grader has already transferred in, and yes, while the coaches may be great mentors to players who show promise, other boys who show up are not given equal attention...

Re: Blackwell--he told people he was going to Ensworth from MBA because he was too late for CPA and didn't tour, but within days, was registered there after Lindsey's mom called his mom....is that recruiting??

Edited by rulefollower

It's a pattern that many current middle school parents expect will continue. There is much talk about who's going to be showing up in the next year or so...a "nationally ranked" 6th grader has already transferred in, and yes, while the coaches may be great mentors to players who show promise, other boys who show up are not given equal attention...

Re: Blackwell--he told people he was going to Ensworth from MBA because he was too late for CPA and didn't tour, but within days, was registered there after Lindsey's mom called his mom....is that recruiting??

Rulefollower, So should kids not be allowed to come to CPA and play basketball if they come in middle school or later?  Or do they have to start kindergarten at CPA to be eligible (in your opinion) and fair to other CPA students? 

You don't have your facts correct regarding Blackwell.  Mr. Blackwell told the group of basketball parents in a pre-season meeting that they were prepared to send their son to BA, (not Ensworth) and the reason you state was b/c of a call from Lindsey's mom.  That's not the story Mr. Blackwell told as to why they decided to come to CPA and I trust if you heard it from him you would have no reason to believe otherwise.  I would suggest you talk to him or any of the CPA parents and ask them their story as to why and how they decided to come to CPA.  That way, you have the facts and not innuendo.

Edited by LookingAround

Looking around-- Surely you know that kids and parents stories don't always line up. I'm fairly sure my facts are correct.

Ok, so you are saying you choose to believe what may have been said by a student versus what was said directly from the parent?  I'm 100% sure, of what I heard the parent say as to why and how they made the decision to come to CPA. 

So, two weeks go by and we finally get back to talking basketball, then you turn the conversation back to recruiting again responding to a post that is two weeks old.

Ok, so you are saying you choose to believe what may have been said by a student versus what was said directly from the parent?  I'm 100% sure, of what I heard the parent say as to why and how they made the decision to come to CPA. 

Yes, in this case, I do, because I know what I've read. I also know that a kid wouldn't see anything wrong with telling people that Lindsey's mom called his mom, but his dad would certainly know better....

So, two weeks go by and we finally get back to talking basketball, then you turn the conversation back to recruiting again responding to a post that is two weeks old.

My apologies nerd. I haven't been around for a while, so I picked back up, where I left off in the conversation.