PORTLAND PANTHER FOOTBALL COACH RESIGNS

64NB95

I think hiring within is a terrible idea. That's not to say those coaches aren't good, they very well may be. The issue is the school and community need a new face; a new start.

With reference to Gallatin rallying around there HS as community... It's much easier to get that after one bad year. If my math is correct, portland has 11 wins in the last 8 years. It's going to take a little more to get everyone in board.

If I had anything to do with the hiring process, I would go away from anyone that has ties to the current staff. Again, they may be wonderful coaches an great mentors, but if you want support the school and community need a fresh approach.

I agree about hiring within and needing fresh start. With reference to Gallatin, I mentioned the similarities and no matter Portland's recent history, they are a proud program with championship history more recent than Gallatin. From reviewing posts, both your approach and my approach are very similar. I don't believe it takes more than what we both have described.

Edited by TheRealTruth

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would anyone care to put a list of possible candidates together? Not just who you would like to see, but real possibilities.

Chad Perry (He ain't coming to Gallatin)

Chase Brooks (Portland Grad - Assistant at Beech, Gallatin previous year)

Greg Cavanah (Current assistant coach, former head coach Greenwood KY)

Edited by TheRealTruth

Southerfried you said: They split the middles schools, which was a disaster, now you have two football teams running two different offenses than what we are running in the high school. The Freshmen have to relearn everything from both schools again.

To me this is an irrelevant and misinformed point. 

One middle school in town runs the wing t.  Their boys run the power sweep, buck sweep, jet sweep, trap, belly G, and bootleg.  Same plays as the high school runs.  Might be called a different name in the huddle, but the schemes are the same. 

Furthermore, why would a middle school coach want to completely change his offensive system year in and year out to match what the high school is doing.  There have been 3 head coaches in 6 years at PHS with a 4th coming.  You can't expect a program to follow all those changes blindly.  Middle schools aren't toy soliders, expected to follow the high schools whims.

Since the split, both middle schools are hovering around the .500 mark in wins as compared to a 6-45 record over the same time period by PHS.  Hardly a disaster when you realize the middle schools are playing the split programs for HHS, BHS, GHS, and SCHS.

The problem doesn't lay at the coaches feet of any program in Portland, in lies with the boys.  There are too many good players that never play at PHS.  When a coach can find a way to get the jimmies and joes on the field then PHS can also expect to hover around the .500 mark and be competitive.  Gerald Turner's aren't walking the halls at PHS but there are quality athletes.  When you can run 60-70-80 quality atheltes onto the field you have a chance to hang in games, win some in the 4th, beat some teams unexpectedly and beat the teams you are supposed to beat. 

Aric was a good coach and so were his staff members. I wish them the best of luck and I wish the new staff luck as well.  Their main job is to get the boys on the field.

Southernfried I appreciate your loyalty to Portland as well.  We need more men and supporters like you!

Brent Alexander would be best fit. Then again. I hear great things about chase brooks.

Chase was part of the Bever staff and I have my doubts he would consider. I have my doubts that Alexander, while a great coach, would have any interest either. Hunter Hicks, who would be another good one, was also part of the Bever staff before he left for middle school, then MJHS and now WH Heritage; but same scenario. Bryan Dupree, who was a long time SCHS coach and is now at a sumner county MS would also be a good one for this scenario.

Waiting to see which way the administration goes here...

Chase was part of the Bever staff and I have my doubts he would consider. I have my doubts that Alexander, while a great coach, would have any interest either. Hunter Hicks, who would be another good one, was also part of the Bever staff before he left for middle school, then MJHS and now WH Heritage; but same scenario. Bryan Dupree, who was a long time SCHS coach and is now at a sumner county MS would also be a good one for this scenario.

Waiting to see which way the administration goes here...

I hear the ones I listed have applied. Chase must have some interest, however, I believe they will hire within.

I hear the ones I listed have applied. Chase must have some interest, however, I believe they will hire within.

Are you saying everyone listed has applied?

I think an internal hire would be the wrong thing to do. I don't feel the school and community will get behind that and the mentality of "the same old thing" will be rampant.