Overton's Terry Anderson retires

workinprogress

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morrison is a great assistant coach. That dont make him a great head coach. I wouldnt imagine him going for it with no experience of even being a coordinator.

He has been the OC at Overton and has much experience as a head coach even if it is baseball. Being a head coach in any sport is experience. He also was a very good player at Overton. If coach Anderson was unable to coach I am sure Morrison would become acting head man. He is still the best choice. 

He has been the OC at Overton and has much experience as a head coach even if it is baseball. Being a head coach in any sport is experience. He also was a very good player at Overton. If coach Anderson was unable to coach I am sure Morrison would become acting head man. He is still the best choice. 

He is labeled the OC but Anderson has always called plays..All he does and tell Anderson what defense they are running and what subs are made. So you are in correct. Like you are also incorrect about head coaching. So the bowling head coach can head coach football??? heck no!!! you lose more credit the more you talk. Baseball Hc is nothing compared to football, different game, different responsibilities,more kids and more time consuming. I know he was a great player but he is not the best fit for the CATS. Campbell is even the players top choice

He is labeled the OC but Anderson has always called plays..All he does and tell Anderson what defense they are running and what subs are made. So you are in correct. Like you are also incorrect about head coaching. So the bowling head coach can head coach football??? heck no!!! you lose more credit the more you talk. Baseball Hc is nothing compared to football, different game, different responsibilities,more kids and more time consuming. I know he was a great player but he is not the best fit for the CATS. Campbell is even the players top choice

I disagree ,head baseball coach is the same. I will give you credit for the bowling . Baseball has similar responsibilities and just as much time. Not as many players,but not as much help either and decisions in game and managing players is the same. I will think he is without a doubt the admins first choice. Players do not know everything needed in the position. Mike has proven many times to the school and to Anderson he is most qualified. If he is not the best fit then I hope they go outside the school. Mike will not even apply so all this talk is a moot point. 

Let me go ahead and end all of the speculation regarding Morrison.  I just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago.  He is working the concession stand at the Basketball games tonight and had several people ask him if he had applied for the job yet, referencing CoachT.

Folks, Mike Morrison, per his very own words tonight, is "not applying for the Overton Head Football Coach position."  He is going to "continue as Head Baseball Coach and do everything I can to help the new Head Football Coach, and this program, be successful."

He also asked that people take his name out of the discussion and encouraged me to post this on here.  So, that narrows your debate a little.

For what its worth, I hope Overton hires the best possible Coach they can find, no matter who that may be.  I will also offer this suggestion, some folks over there would love to see a Coach come in with a more modern fast paced offense and mesh some of the traditional Overton game with it.  Mike would definitely be a huge asset in helping the new Coach do just that as an assistant.

Also, saw earlier some debate about whether or not Mike was Offensive Coordinator.  He was, in fact, the Offensive Coordinator at Overton for a while when I was there.  He also did, in fact, call the plays for a period of time with Anderson occasionally throwing in a call in tight situations (as is the right of the Head Coach).  Mike was an excellent OC, is a really good man and has been a great friend to me in the time I have known him.  The next Overton HC is very lucky to have him in their corner.

I can also verify that Mike Morrison will not apply for the job. Mike is happy being the head baseball coach and will do all he can to help the new coach continue a great program. I want the best coach possible for Overton and I know Overton people want an Overton guy but I don't think there are any that will apply that would be a good fit or that would leave their current program. Mike would have been my pick but he does not want it. I guess it's wide open.

• 2 weeks later...