Blackman at Maryville.

tennesseestud2013

Great HS football game. BHS was a great football team. I am glad the BHS coaches kept throwing it. Like I posted earlier, throwing the ball favors MHS. #2 has a cannon, but was only accurate with the quick hitters. Many have said it best: "maryville has great players." Example, Garrett #12 for MHS runs a 5 flat forty yard dash, but he is one of the most gritty winners/players I have watched. BHS had control of line most of the night. Their D was really good. Thank goodness for trick plays from coach Quarles! Have a great weekend and remember to buy your tickets at MHS not in Cookevile. Give MHS more $, not T$$AA.

Congrats Rebels on a great win. This was a hard fought game with a very good Blackman team. Very impressed with several of their players. Enjoyed the game and the crowd. That is the loudest I have heard the Maryville side in a while. The fans were really into this game and it was fun to be part of a game like this one.

Blackman has a very good team and the defense is good as advertised.

Blackman had some key players going both ways and I believe that was a big advantage for Maryville . Blackman had players between plays with their hands on their knees and hips, playing both ways seemed to wear them down . Very physical and fast paced game took some of the punch out of these players IMO

Looking forward to next week. The Maryville program is on a ride that is unbelievable. Thanks to all the coaches and our players that have worked so hard to earn this great season. All of the long hours during the off season has paid off and these young men give their all to this team . Thank you guys for working hard on the field and in the classroom.

Congrats to our Senoirs

Edited by Rebels5star
  • Upvote 1

GOVERNORS91, have you looked at the scores it took Maryville to get through district. look at Siegel game last year and Blackman this year, then add Riverdale, Oakland and Smyrna and go through district twice to get to semis. just saying pretty hard district. Maryville would probably win 7aaa most years, but the rest of your district would be average.

Good story in the Maryville paper by John Brice of VolQuest.com about the 'fight song' play that drove the final nail in Blackman's coffin...

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Sports_News/story/Rebels-use-Fight-Song-to-get-back-to-state-title-game-id-043766

Quarles apparently picked this play up from Gus Malzahn....

Great quote in this article, "We practice this play every week but have not run it this year." Makes one wonder what else the Rebels have up their sleeve. These so-called trick plays work because of the preparation that is put into them and GQs uncanny ability to call them at just the right time.

I am with you 100%. Quarles can coach, everyone knows that. But you don't win at this level year-in, year-out without outstanding players. As I stated earlier, Maryville more than held their own athletically with Blackman and definitely was not overmatched physically. I think sometimes people downplay the abilities of Maryville players in a convoluted way to somehow make GQ seem superhuman in his coaching abilities. But make no mistake about it- it takes great coaching AND great players to be as dominant as Maryville has been during the GQ era.

it looks like Maryville will win the State again. This is good news- because at least Pepvol has smthng in good in his life .. He is a vol fan -.brick by brick don't ya know- so when

the vols lose to KY -he can hang his hat On "high school football"

8 dollars spent on a great game. Well worth it. For Blackmon, QB was very good. Threw it better than I expected. #24 ran hard and broke tackles. LB' s stopped Maryville dead in their tracks most of the time. They played really well. Punt returns were scary to watch. For Maryville Jackson int flipped field position( huge ). Shinske int saved points before half ( huge). TD had big run saving tackles all night. Brock had great catch in end zone. Prevo ran hard all night and protected the ball great. Garrett threw it and ran it outstanding. Line of scrimmage was a war with Maryville IMO wearing them down late 3rd. GQ the best play caller I've ever seen at any level. Total team effort.

Edited by countryREB

Great quote in this article, "We practice this play every week but have not run it this year." Makes one wonder what else the Rebels have up their sleeve. These so-called trick plays work because of the preparation that is put into them and GQs uncanny ability to call them at just the right time.

MHS82 you are so right. The routine that the Rebels have with their practice schedule and the attention to detail with every rep is unbelievable. Anyone that is a Rebel fan and has not witnessed a week of practice, it is fun to watch. You can see all of the pieces being laid out and on Friday night GQ and his coaching staff put each piece where it fits best.

Whew boys (and rw'87...moore on hurr laytur)......Butt hears my thawts and cR hit on a few ov tham....

1 - If'un eye wuz dugg down inn a foxwhole sumwhur....Eye waint John Garrett onn my side.....He broak a lott ov ankulls out thair laist nite, he's tuffur (mentally and fizzycully) thain a Waffull House stake, finished tha gaim wif 15 strait completions, and iz a WINNER...

2 - Our DE's caim upp big laist nite....Slow rushed #2 and contained him fer tha most part....Jackson's INT flipped tha gaim's moemintumm inn Mairvul's fayvor and eye down't thaink Blackman evur gott hitt baick.....and ole Brice played hiz best gaim az a Rebel inn my opinyun....2 big TD catches...and a huge sack ov #2 thait rilly sortee took enny chaince thait Blackman haid away at tha end....

3 - Shinsky's pic befour haif wuz huge.....And how minny times duz GQ maik yee pay rite beefore haiftime....Hits ensain....

d - If'un eye wuz Butch...Eye wood bee livin' att Blackman Hi Skool....#2 iz a grait athleet, runner, and haz a rockit arm.....He jist neads two bee moore accurait....

5 - Prevo haid a quietly good gaim....He haz az good ov vision az enny baick thait haz evur weared a black jersee att 825 Lawrence inn my opinyun.....And findin' holes, settin' up blox, catchin' tha bawl inn traffick (huge wheal route catch laist nite and wuz covered) az enny eye haiv seed...

f - TD Blackmon played lites out....He haz grait instincts, iz a shure tacklurr, and a FRASHMAN!!!....Sum ov tha 30 yd. line crew gott a chaint goin wif Blackman's fans....Thay sed "Blackman"....We sed "TD"..!!!!

gee - Congrats two both teams on a grait gaim....Blackman's kids played hard and deserve the love of their fans.....And our SENIORS...Way two go out in your last game et home...!!!!!

8 - Mairvul's kickin' gaim played well eye thawt two.....Luke wuz puntin' tha cover oft tha bawl thair urlee, when'st we coodun't git hit goin'....Tha sky kix werked out good....and no speshull teem's misstaik thait eye saw....

eye - Wuz nice two sea sum ov my buddie's frum Murrfreezburrow....Kreager, Stork and crew....and met "mykidsdad" aftur tha game...classy bunch.....

10 - And tha necks time eye heer sumbodee say.. "this wuz tha stait champeenship gaim".....Eye'm gonna hurl!!!.......Thay weren't no GOLD bawls hended out laist nite!!!!!.....We steal haiv werk two do....And aftur laist yeer.....Go down two Cookevegas wif tha pedal two tha metal!!!!!..."LEAVE NO DOUBT".....Me and sevrull thousand ov yore clostest friends will be thair two cheer you'uns on!!!!!!

P.S. Yisterdee att tha Liar's Clubb we haid a reel Wing-Ding.....rw 87 played hur snair drums, Littull Eeannis played tha bass fiddull (standin' on a littull foot stule), Rebullron played tha rhithum geetar (pepvol tawt him how).....Tha Tinnersee Three ain't gott nuthin' on these cats.....and jake sang jist like tha Man In Black......And hit all sownded a littull sumthin like this.... :popcorneater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGMpc5bCpFY

Edited by STARSNBARS

Good story in the Maryville paper by John Brice of VolQuest.com about the 'fight song' play that drove the final nail in Blackman's coffin...

http://www.thedailytimes.com/Sports_News/story/Rebels-use-Fight-Song-to-get-back-to-state-title-game-id-043766

Quarles apparently picked this play up from Gus Malzahn....

Now, thanks to John Brice, it may be hard to run in the near future.  (Tongue firmly in cheek). I'm not sure, until Brice described it, Blackman or other teams realize the decoy alignment.  The Rebels scored on the same play in the 2012 championship game.  On a side note, John Brice's quote about the Rebels not having lost at Shields Stadium since September of 2001 is wrong.  He obviously missed the 2010 Alcoa game at MHS.