Ricky Bowers Ejected

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

You're right pudding because no Memphis team has ever gotten a bad deal in a state title game now have they? I don't think it was the right call to toss bowers but I wasn't there and I'd guess you weren't either. But reading these posts implying the west TN refs don't know what they're doing is ridiculous....,I guess all crews from middle & east TN are perfect right?

Never heard of him up here.  No lie.  Paper said it was a Memphis crew, dude. 

It was a Memphis crew stated in the paper. You are correct Memphis refs do not even know the rules was at a playoff game two years ago that they did not know the overtime rules and TSSAA had to admit that they made a mistake on Monday but pretty much the same thing happened to the refs one game suspension even tho they might of cost one team moving on because of their mistake, They said they could not do anything about it. Said that TSSAA has no backbone!!!!

Edited by BullyDog

You're right pudding because no Memphis team has ever gotten a bad deal in a state title game now have they? I don't think it was the right call to toss bowers but I wasn't there and I'd guess you weren't either. But reading these posts implying the west TN refs don't know what they're doing is ridiculous....,I guess all crews from middle & east TN are perfect right?

Well let me tell you if a ref does not know the overtime rules and all of us county rednecks did. Because everybody was yelling at them so all the refs huddled up and still did not come up with the right overtime rule. PRETTY BAD!!!! LOL And yes they were from Memphis also!!!!

I don't know what was said during the game ? The penalty yardage was something like 225 against Ensworth vs. 20 against BA; When you account that the white hat choose to chase down Bowers & confront him, it makes you wonder whether the crew had a bias vs. Ensworth.

The video clearly supports that Bowers was trying to step around the white hat. If the white hat said that Ensworth used profanity, I have to question that when you bring how inappropriately the white hat acted.

It won't matter because Bernard has deferred to the Board of Control, which is a Kangaroo Court filled with public school personnel, who may be biased ? If the Board of Control acquiesces to Ensworth, they will look weak to the public sector.

This is a BLACK EYE for TENNESSEE FOOTBALL & it makes us look bad compared to all other high school football across the nation. Common sense needs to take over here. What # 9 from BA did was wrong. The BA administration need to punish this player for his actions beyond what The TSSAA calls for. # 9 actions are unacceptable. When the game is over, the correct actions for officials are to run off the field; chasing down a coach & instigating a confrontation is wrong & unacceptable as well.

Bowers, Paul Wade, and his son need to be allowed to participate in the finals vs. MUS. It is the right the thing to do. That white hat needs to stick to umpiring baseball; clearly, he has throwing people out of the game down to a science. Too many officials these days think that people pay money to see them throw flags.

I am not a private  or public school guy, I want what is right to be done. Those Ensworth football players need to have the opportunity to win the finals with all their personnel. It will be a travesty to let the report of a dubious referee dictate potential history for Tennessee high school football.

I don't fault Enswoth at all if they decide to go to civil court and embarrass that white hat, the TSSAA, and the Board of Control. DO THE RIGHT THING !  

I never post in the Private boards but I had to read up more on this incident. I found it interesting in the article in the Tennessean that T$$AA is disciplining the referee also in this, yet still upholding the ejection. In my opinion, you can't have it both ways. Either the referee was right or he was wrong. But that is just my opinion and that doesn't count for much.

I don't know what was said during the game ? The penalty yardage was something like 225 against Ensworth vs. 20 against BA; When you account that the white hat choose to chase down Bowers & confront him, it makes you wonder whether the crew had a bias vs. Ensworth.

The video clearly supports that Bowers was trying to step around the white hat. If the white hat said that Ensworth used profanity, I have to question that when you bring how inappropriately the white hat acted.

It won't matter because Bernard has deferred to the Board of Control, which is a Kangaroo Court filled with public school personnel, who may be biased ? If the Board of Control acquiesces to Ensworth, they will look weak to the public sector.

This is a BLACK EYE for TENNESSEE FOOTBALL & it makes us look bad compared to all other high school football across the nation. Common sense needs to take over here. What # 9 from BA did was wrong. The BA administration need to punish this player for his actions beyond what The TSSAA calls for. # 9 actions are unacceptable. When the game is over, the correct actions for officials are to run off the field; chasing down a coach & instigating a confrontation is wrong & unacceptable as well.

Bowers, Paul Wade, and his son need to be allowed to participate in the finals vs. MUS. It is the right the thing to do. That white hat needs to stick to umpiring baseball; clearly, he has throwing people out of the game down to a science. Too many officials these days think that people pay money to see them throw flags.

I am not a private or public school guy, I want what is right to be done. Those Ensworth football players need to have the opportunity to win the finals with all their personnel. It will be a travesty to let the report of a dubious referee dictate potential history for Tennessee high school football.

I don't fault Enswoth at all if they decide to go to civil court and embarrass that white hat, the TSSAA, and the Board of Control. DO THE RIGHT THING !

Fact check:

Barnett was reprimanded by the coaching staff and apologized to the player he hit.

Ensworth had 11 penalties for 105 yards, not 200+

Wes,

Correct me if I am wrong, but Brentwood only had two penalties; one was an illegal participation penalty for five yards called by the back judge and then the flagrant personal foul at the end of the game.  The White Hat actually did throw that flag.  Please also correct me if I am wrong in stating that the White Hat was the only referee that sent players to the bench for shirt tails being out and that he only sent Ensworth players on several instances to the bench and no Brentwood players even though their shirt tails were also out. 

Since the last penalty on Brentwood was after the game was already decided, that would leave the penalty yardage at 5 yards effectively for Bretwood.  If I recall correctly, several of the holding calls and the unsportsmanlike call on Ensworth were called by the White Hat as well.  His actions during the game coupled with his theatrics at the end of the game are certainly worth a review.

Wes,

Correct me if I am wrong, but Brentwood only had two penalties; one was an illegal participation penalty for five yards called by the back judge and then the flagrant personal foul at the end of the game. The White Hat actually did throw that flag. Please also correct me if I am wrong in stating that the White Hat was the only referee that sent players to the bench for shirt tails being out and that he only sent Ensworth players on several instances to the bench and no Brentwood players even though their shirt tails were also out.

Since the last penalty on Brentwood was after the game was already decided, that would leave the penalty yardage at 5 yards effectively for Bretwood. If I recall correctly, several of the holding calls and the unsportsmanlike call on Ensworth were called by the White Hat as well. His actions during the game coupled with his theatrics at the end of the game are certainly worth a review.

I believe each statement is correct. I also agree with your closing opinion.

Fact check:

Barnett was reprimanded by the coaching staff and apologized to the player he hit.

Ensworth had 11 penalties for 105 yards, not 200+

Not sure if the ejection was right or not but it was a judgement call. Official does have jurisdiction until teams leave the field so however bad the call was it's still a judgement call. Are we going to lawyer up on all judgement calls or just the ones you don't like. I didn't like the pass interference call we got in game 7 this year, it was a horrible call. When you are a member of the TSSAA you play by their rules and no matter how bad the call was it's still a judgement call. I suspect If this were White House and Macon County it would not be making news. The reason youth sports is so screwed up is because of adults who want to lawyer up over everything. Little League baseball games, high school football, high school basketball, etc. I attended a basketball game last year in Sumner County last winter and the officiating crew was not particularly good, several young guys on the crew. There were adults sitting around me who after they lost were going to protest the game, get an attorney and make sure those officials never saw the court again. Really! Ensworth will win over MUS by 3 or 4 TDs and everything will be okay.

Never heard of him up here.  No lie.  Paper said it was a Memphis crew, dude. 

Where is "up here" dude?  If you live in Tennessee and haven't heard of Ricky Bowers than you are NOT a TN high school football fan.  My point was that the crew could have been from anywhere in TN that was outside of Nashville and qualified as an "out-of town" crew.  What if they had been from Chattanooga or Knoxville?  Why is the fact that they were from Memphis considered significant?  I don't know how I can state it more clearly.  Because Memphis refs have some bias against a school and coach 200 miles away?  Because they are stupid and don't know the rules?  How about the truth - you had a hotheaded ref who lost control after dealing for an entire game with a coach known for "pushing the envelope."  Period.

And just in case you haven't taken in my other posts, IMO the Ensworth suspensions were unjustified.  I also think Mr. Lloyd should "officially" (pun intended) be restricted to calling only baseball games in the future or maybe calling no games in any sport.

Agree, it was WAY overblown.  At any rate, these guys would be perfectly suited to call games up in Bowling Green.  Do a little research on Blackman vs Bowling Green this year for some unbelievable officiating.

So you're saying that the Memphis crew was "homering" (like the Bowling Green refs) for Brentwood Academy?

Well, I guess that's just more evidence of their incompetence.  Ensworth won.

Edited by owlbooster