Ricky Bowers Ejected

BARTLETTHSGRAD04

Not sure if the ejection was right or not but it was a judgement call. Official does have jurisdiction until teams leave the field so however bad the call was it's still a judgement call. Are we going to lawyer up on all judgement calls or just the ones you don't like. I didn't like the pass interference call we got in game 7 this year, it was a horrible call. When you are a member of the TSSAA you play by their rules and no matter how bad the call was it's still a judgement call. I suspect If this were White House and Macon County it would not be making news. The reason youth sports is so screwed up is because of adults who want to lawyer up over everything. Little League baseball games, high school football, high school basketball, etc. I attended a basketball game last year in Sumner County last winter and the officiating crew was not particularly good, several young guys on the crew. There were adults sitting around me who after they lost were going to protest the game, get an attorney and make sure those officials never saw the court again. Really! Ensworth will win over MUS by 3 or 4 TDs and everything will be okay.

NO THEY DON'T!!! Please show me in the NFHS rule book where it says that. The officials have jurisdiction until the White Hat signals the game is over! If you are correct, why don't the officials stay on the field till "teams leave the field"? They don't because they don't have any more authority! EVERY other game, the white hat signals game over, and they trot off the field and try to beat traffic out of the parking lot.

Working the officials is part of coaching....If Coach Bowers felt as if he could get a competive advantage then thats part of the game. Fooltball is an emotional game and after that late hit he had a right to be upset... None of us know what was said during the course of the game but the referee could have gave a warning earlier in the game BUT after that hit at that stage in the game emotions were going to erupt. There is not enough on video to support having Coach Bowers suspended for supposed physical contact. The disparity in penalties means nothing...a good Offensive line is taught to hold. Ensworth is well coached and is a very good football team and I am certain the TSSAA would rather the whole matter not even happened.

NO THEY DON'T!!! Please show me in the NFHS rule book where it says that. The officials have jurisdiction until the White Hat signals the game is over! If you are correct, why don't the officials stay on the field till "teams leave the field"? They don't because they don't have any more authority! EVERY other game, the white hat signals game over, and they trot off the field and try to beat traffic out of the parking lot.

From the NFHS Rulebook, 2013 Edition...

Rule 1, Section 1, Article 8: The game officials' jurisdiction extends through the referee's declaration of the end of the fourth period or overtime. The game officials retain clerical authority over the game through the completion of any reports, including those imposing disqualification, that are responsive to actions occurring wile the game officials had jurisdiction.

Rule 3, Section 3, Article 3

A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurred:

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty was accepted, except for those fouls listed in 3-3-4b (none of which occurred here).

b. There was a double foul

c. There was an inadvertent whistle

d. (Not applicable, applies to touchdowns)

Rule 3, Section 3, Article 5

At the end of each period, the referee shall hold the ball in one hand overhead to indicate the period has officially ended, after delaying momentarily to ensure that:

a. no foul has occurred

b. No obvious timing error has occurred

c. No request for a coach-referee conference has occurred

d. No other irregularity has occurred

The casebook also details an incident where the referee leaves the field only to find that there has been a penalty on the final play. He is required to return and settle the issue.

I've distanced myself from the facts of this incident, but I suspect that untangling a late hit out of bounds would occupy more than a couple of minutes, during which time the officials maintain jurisdiction.

Rule 1, Section 1, Article 8: The game officials' jurisdiction extends through the referee's declaration of the end of the fourth period or overtime. The game officials retain clerical authority over the game through the completion of any reports, including those imposing disqualification, that are responsive to actions occurring wile the game officials had jurisdiction.

A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurred:

a. There was a foul by either team and the penalty was accepted, except for those fouls listed in 3-3-4b (none of which occurred here).

At the end of each period, the referee shall hold the ball in one hand overhead to indicate the period has officially ended, after delaying momentarily to ensure that:

a. no foul has occurred

The casebook also details an incident where the referee leaves the field only to find that there has been a penalty on the final play. He is required to return and settle the issue.

I noticed more this year than any other that many officials pick and choose the rules they want to use and enforce during games from the aforementioned NHFS Rule book.  Most of them probably don't even know this section exists.  Until there is accountability for officiating these scenarios will become more common and the kids of course will be the big losers.

a. no foul has occurred

I've distanced myself from the facts of this incident, but I suspect that untangling a late hit out of bounds would occupy more than a couple of minutes, during which time the officials maintain jurisdiction.

Rule 1, Section 1, Article 8: "The game officials retain clerical authority over the game through the completion of any reports, including those imposing disqualification, that are responsive to actions occurring wile the game officials had jurisdiction."

The problem is the actions were not in response to something that occured while they had jurisdiction.

Rule 3, Section 3, Article 3: There was NO untimed down, so that doesn't apply.

Rule 3, Section 3, Article 5:  This is the rule saying that the game is not "officially over" when the clock hits 0:00.  Granted, he didn't hold a ball over his head, but he made the other signal that indicates the game is over.  Once the clock hits 0, he is to "delay momentarily" then signal that the game is over.  When he did that (granted it was much more than momentarily), his authority to eject is over!

Thanks for posting those rules.  Makes me even more certain of the error.  I can't believe the TSSAA would not look at the tape to see when the ejections actually took place.  Well, I guess nothing surprises me any more with them.  I don't have a dog in the fight, it just irks me to see a team done wrong and have absolutely NO recourse to try to make it right.

I thought the T$$AA was in it "for the kids", but that has been proven wrong time and time again.

Edited by blazeburnin