South Pittsburg vs Union City (Moore man vs. Bowling man)

rlh

are all your football players on the union city bus route? i bet not. you pull your players from a larger population than schools without open zoning. i just would like to see things done fairly. Obion co is 4a and they stink, i bet they would be a little better if kids werent driving past their school to get to yours. SP is same. alcoa same . maryville same. you sure are big on the name calling. if TSSAA stops open zoning we never hear from union city again

I think you need to do more research before making these type of comments. Clearly jealous. Grow up!!

I know how it works because I have been in an open zone system.... Shows you're clueless....

Gibson Co. Pioneers

2009 and 2010 AA Girls Basketball State Champs

70-1 record in 2 years

Do you think this big run in girls basketball was not related to south gibson opening that very year moving you down in classification yet maintaining same athletes.  You choose to be clueless i choose to acknowledge the facts.  

No problem...The thing is,we have been as big as 3A...We played at White House and Portland, back-to-back, in the playoffs back then...Most of the time we were 2A...We were one of the smallest 3A schools at the time and we were one of, if not the smallest, 2A team when we played the likes of Chatt Tyner and Alcoa in state championship games in the late 90's to early 2000's...So, we built those facilities playing much bigger schools and when we were bigger...My senior year in 83-84 we had close to 700 students in grades 9-12...We brought those facilities with us..Lol..bigster said something about the tractor trailer and band and whatnot....Well,we had the tractor trailer when I was in high school so that's nothing new...Matter of fact we had a MUCH larger band when I was in school than we do now....Like someone else said, we have three schools in our county, one of which is a 4A school..I guess what gets under some of the area fans skin about UC is how in the world can we have a Wal-Mart, Lowes, Applebees and now the brand new Discovery Museum and be a 1A team...If I was a fan of Gleason, Greenfield, Lake County and the like I'd be upset to trying to compete with us...We had the same problem playing schools like Westview, Milan, Humboldt back when they were bigger schools..Heck, even little ole Halls has a bigger enrollment than UC does...(Or did within the last three or four years)....Anyway, Coach Larry Shanks is credited with drumming up the local support to fund renovations to War Memorial Stadium...Coach Randy Barnes is credited with getting the multi-purpose building built...We have gone from our coaches having to get out and mow the field, mark it and all to having an entity (UC Turf Management) that does nothing but take care of all the high school fields, football, baseball,softball and all...

You're right.If a fan from some of the other Single a teams from Middle and East Tenn drove through Union city and see the Lowes,Walmart.Applebees,Titan Rubber,the hospital,several Automobile dealerships,the new Discovery Museum,they'd think no way is Union city a Single a team .Union city looks like a smaller version of Jackson,Tenn.Drive through Bradford,Tiptonville,Gleason and even halls which is a Double a school and you won't believe the difference.Halls has about 200 more students more than Union city which seems far fetched..As for being upset about playing union city like some from other towns,especially Greenfield that I know of,I actually love playing Union city and Humboldt.Lake Co has proved with just about 270 students that they can and have competed very well against these schools .Especially if you compare Union City versus the other schools in football and basketball.Lake Co has more wins against Humboldt and Union City in basketball than any Single a or really true Single a team in the district.And I can promise with a lot of young players,in football and basketball,is going to be a lot of great games against these schools.Union City and Humboldt being Single a have probably cost Lake Co a few championships in basketball.Or at least the chance.As a matter of fact,after this year I expect Union city and Lake Co to be the top teams in the district the next several years.Maybe along with South Fulton..I actually like Union City's facilities, great  football stadium,baseball field,gym and usually a great band.And added things like the indoor practice facility,the tractor trailor  truck and trailer for their band.Actually should post a picture of it.I think it's nice all the things they have.The school,fans and players should be proud .

We are...Very proud...But you can also look around UC and see a lot of empty factories where there used to be many, many people working...Only a fraction of the people working for Titan in a building that used to have thousands working in it...But anyway, one thing that caught my eye on your post was that you said Union City's field or stadium was good "for a 1A school"...I'd put our facilities up against anyone from any classification...Maybe you didn't mean it like you put it...Then you said a "true" 1A school...We are a "true" 1A according to the T.$.$.A.A ... Maybe you would like it to be even more watered down than it already is...Maybe 10 classifications ??...Again, maybe you didn't mean it like it came out....i will give LC and it's fans this...You all have never complained about the competition you have been put in with...You all have just strapped it up and played...

We are...Very proud...But you can also look around UC and see a lot of empty factories where there used to be many, many people working...Only a fraction of the people working for Titan in a building that used to have thousands working in it...But anyway, one thing that caught my eye on your post was that you said Union City's field or stadium was good "for a 1A school"...I'd put our facilities up against anyone from any classification...Maybe you didn't mean it like you put it...Then you said a "true" 1A school...We are a "true" 1A according to the T.$.$.A.A ... Maybe you would like it to be even more watered down than it already is...Maybe 10 classifications ??...Again, maybe you didn't mean it like it came out....i will give LC and it's fans this...You all have never complained about the competition you have been put in with...You all have just strapped it up and played...

I agree..It will compare to most any classification.I was just saying for them to be a Single a school,not many can have a stadium like that was what i meant.

Edited by mrbigster

no i dont have it backwards and you make my point.  Send most of the kids to obion co,. keep the enrollment down at UC then send all football players to UC , get an unfair advantage in single A. Play a team that does the same thing while all those that do it fair are at home watching.  who says cheaters never prosper.  Stay up on your high horse SWO and act like this isnt happening.  

IF you think it's about athletics at Union City then you are delusional...Union City is about academics first...Almost arrogantly so...NOBODY is sending kids to OC to "keep enrollment down at UC then send all football players to UC."...UC is all about the Magnet school program within the high school...Your post is ridiculous...And bigster, nobody is keeping kids home the day they count...YOU yourself could pick a day to go do a head-count if you want to...LoL...

I realize Union City is a true Single a school along with Humboldt and Dresden.Again,I love playing these schools.I would rather play Union City and lose than play Fulton co and win 60-0.But again..you and i both know there are fans in Greenfield,Gleason, etc that considers Union city and Humboldt AA teams while they think Halls which has 200 more students as a Single a school.At least when you drive to these communities like Tiptonville,Gleason and even Halls compared to Union city.But still Halls has 200 more students.I really wish halls didnt have the enrollment that they have.Would like to see them back in Single A

Here's a simple definition of open zoning for you, any public school student that goes to a public school different than the one for which he/she is zoned.  Sometimes (Greeneville and South Pitt) these students may actually reside outside of Tennessee.  Others (Alcoa and Maryville) these students reside in surrounding counties. 

I realize Union City is a true Single a school along with Humboldt and Dresden.Again,I love playing these schools.I would rather play Union City and lose than play Fulton co and win 60-0.But again..you and i both know there are fans in Greenfield,Gleason, etc that considers Union city and Humboldt AA teams while they think Halls which has 200 more students as a Single a school.At least when you drive to these communities like Tiptonville,Gleason and even Halls compared to Union city.But still Halls has 200 more students.I really wish halls didnt have the enrollment that they have.Would like to see them back in Single A

LoL...I think there is at least one Greenfieldfan that would like to see 16 classifications, or more, in football....