Maryville gloating accepted in this thread, calm down on the others

BackinTN

Sorry fellas....but I have already started having football withdrawals.  I wish I was into other sports like I am football, and I have tried, I went to a basketball game Friday night, and that was a total waste of two hours of my life that I can never get back.....I have no interest in watching guys with one piece bathing suits roll around on a mat together, so that leaves wrestling out....although a couple of redneck women mud wrestling in bathing suits could be mighty interesting, see if you can set that up, Stars.....maybe I should give Hockey a try, I don't understand it or know the rules, but it seems to have a lot of contact involved...anyone else up for giving Hockey a try?

Sorry fellas....but I have already started having football withdrawals.  I wish I was into other sports like I am football, and I have tried, I went to a basketball game Friday night, and that was a total waste of two hours of my life that I can never get back.....I have no interest in watching guys with one piece bathing suits roll around on a mat together, so that leaves wrestling out....although a couple of redneck women mud wrestling in bathing suits could be mighty interesting, see if you can set that up, Stars.....maybe I should give Hockey a try, I don't understand it or know the rules, but it seems to have a lot of contact involved...anyone else up for giving Hockey a try?

You need to hook up with APB. He is a hockey fan.

Sorry fellas....I have no interest in watching guys with one piece bathing suits roll around on a mat together, so that leaves wrestling out....although a couple of redneck women mud wrestling in bathing suits could be mighty interesting, see if you can set that up, Stars....

Eye'm wif yee all tha way jake......Whorp yee head oft holds....Loadin' tha boot..etc iz reel rasslin'.....(bow yourn's head when'st thainkin' abowt Ron Wright)......and jake eye sortee haid a littull mudd rasslin' out att tha traylur wonce......Eye haid mommaSTARS and hur littull cuzzin "Shortcake" diggin upp our septick taink bye hand wif sharp pointy shuvvels and thay haid dugg down abowt 6-8 foot....And eye come home wif 4 buckitts ov tha Kernull (ragularr and extree krispee wif all tha trimmins encludin thait brown yard burd gravee)....Eye yelt "Dinner iz hear" and ewe shooda seed tham down inn thair mudd rasslin' seein hoo cood put hit down inn climbin' geer and dig thair way outta thair furst..... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

Bob Gilbert Column (425 Words)

QUARLES-MALZAHN

Monday, Dec. 16, 2013

Tim Nickell, whose son played for Auburn coach Gus Malzahn at Shiloh Christian High in Fayetteville, Ark., in 1999-2000, sent me an email comparing Malzahn and Maryville (Tenn.) High coach George Quarles.

It was so compelling and enlightening that I have to share it with you.

â€œI wanted to offer a couple of observations on something I witnessed in September when I attended a Maryville High practice,†said Nickell, a college roommate of Maryville’s offensive line coach, David Ellis.

â€œWhat I saw at the Maryville practice reminded me of the atmosphere of the Malzahn practices (at Shiloh Christian),†Nickell said.

â€œâ€¦Highly organized, all business, lots of preparation … lots of teaching taking place, team building, and all done in an atmosphere with obvious mutual respect between coaches and players,†Nickellexplained.

â€œThere wasn’t any yelling or up-in-your-face kind of things.â€

Nickell observed that Quarles, like Malzahn, knows the game, has high expectations and knows how to adapt personnel to achieve the maximum level of effectiveness.

But, Nickell added, “the glue that holds everything together is the obvious mutual respect that exists between coaches and between players and coaches.â€

Two weeks ago, prior to Maryville’s semifinal playoff game en route to another state championship, Quarles invited me to sit in on the team’s pre-game meal, rest period, walk-through, locker room pre-game preparation and halftime locker room.

The coaching staff camaraderie Nickell described was evident that night. No raw-raw stuff. Just business as usual as Quarles and his trusted assistants quietly talked to their players and each other. Quarles delegates authority, entrusts most of the preparation to his assistants, reserving for himself decisions in key situations during the game.

Maryville beat Blackman High 28-16 that night and went on to defeat Hendersonville 44-7 for the state 6-A championship eight nights later for a TSSAA-record 14 state titles.

Despite replacing four departed starters in the offensive line and breaking in a new starting quarterback, Quarles and his staff produced another 15-0 season and Maryville’s 10th state championship and seventh unbeaten record since Quarles became head coach in 1999. Maryville’s record through those 15 years is 208-14. 

Maryville senior quarterback John Garrett completed 13-of-18 passes for 277 yards and three touchdowns and ran eight times for 61 yards and another touchdown. The offensive line gave him excellent protection and opened big holes for the running backs.

Defensively, Maryville limited Hendersonville to only 118 rushing yards and a meager 48 through the air. In what has become typical Maryville fashion, it was a runaway. And, as usual, Quarles gave the credit to his players and staff.

Reading Tim Nickell’s email, I came to a fresh understanding and appreciation of what Gus Malzahn achieved in coaching Auburn to a spectacular 34-28 victory over Alabama in the SEC title game for the right to play top-ranked Florida State Jan. 6 for the national championship.

Very interesting post.  Thanks for sharing.  And good luck to Auburn.

I've been known to follow some other Football teams:

Chelsea-FC.jpg

Edited by Red Rebels