Mairvul Footbawl 2014

STARSNBARS

Seems like for some reason the last two times I've went to the Alcoa and Maryville game at Alcoa that Coach Wilson and his family have set next to me and I enjoyed that more than the ballgame. A lot of people don't realize or even have a clue that this man has more to do with the foundation and the structure of Maryville Football and the reason for it's success today. All the feeder systems that go into Maryville football were set up during Coach Wilson's time and if there were a kid worth his salt as a player out there he always had a way to find them. Back when he coached we won three championships when it was a lot harder to win one. The state was broke down into three classifications with over a hundred and twenty schools in each class with eight schools going to the playoffs and in the first four years only four teams went to the playoffs. If it were played the same way today as then Alcoa and Maryville might not have half the championships they have now because it's so watered down that teams with losing records get into the playoffs and back then a team had to go undefeated and still might not go based on strength of schedule. Had the same rules applied back then I can promise you Maryville would have ten more championships then it does now. As a former player under Wilson it makes me sad to not see his name on anything up there and I'm sure it has a lot to do with how things shook out before he went to Kingsport D-B. I think he made a hasty decision to step down as coach and deeply regretted it when his last team really underachieved due to a lot of bad apples on that team. I think that took a toll on him considering  all the success the previous years. I do know he did enjoy his final years at Kingsport and just setting with him at the games he would always check their scores as if he were still up there. 

I was on Wilson's last team. There was one big bad apple. His initials was SJ. SJ could screw up all game long and the coaches let him by with it. It created team dissention. SJ also had an ego the size of Texas. SJ was a huge jerk. No one on the team liked him. Coaches were hard @$$es with other players but babied SJ. SJ needed his butt kicked worse than anyone. I liked all the coaches but if there is a criticism it was the way they babied SJ.

I agree that something should have been done for Ted Wilson.

Edited by REBELRON

I was on Wilson's last team. There was one big bad apple. His initials was SJ. SJ could screw up all game long and the coaches let him by with it. It created team dissention. SJ also had an ego the size of Texas. SJ was a huge jerk. No one on the team liked him. Coaches were hard @$$es with other players but babied SJ. SJ needed his butt kicked worse than anyone. I liked all the coaches but if there is a criticism it was the way they babied SJ.

I agree that something should have been done for Ted Wilson.

I really think the player your talking about was being highly recruited at his position and turned out to be a major let down. No doubt that can go to someone's head at the age of seventeen and cause a lot of problems around them. I personally always liked the kid outside of the uniform but with it on I didn't care one bit for them and all the problems they caused. There were a few more bad apples also that had problems off the field that I won't mention but sometime me and you can talk about them at a game sometime. All in all a lot of the nonsense took it's toll on Coach Wilson. Who is to blame I don't know. I can also say there is a major divide between Coach Wilson and Coach Story. As a former player it feels like being a kid from a divorced family. I have a great friendship with both men. Looking at both of them there is no doubt Ted Wilson's record speaks for itself and did a great job in coming up with Benny Monroe and Don Story as assistants. Coach Story has told me some of the most crazy stories most people never knew about how tight a budget him and Wilson had to run the program from.  I will never forget one where the shop teacher helped rebuild something that was a safety issue and went and bought some nails out of his own pocket and the superintendent refused to pay him back and the teacher came an inch of resigning over it. We were talking last week about the stadium that we have now came to play because some woman fell through the stands and just about got killed and the city finally figured a new stadium was cheaper than being sued every time you turned around. If I have heard one thing from him and heard it a hundred times it's about the number of coaches he was allowed to have and what they have now. The pay was so bad for assistant coaches that they were doing it more for the kids because the pay was less than fifty cents an hour if you added the time up. Maryville had two good coaches in Wilson and Story and most people on the outside don't realize what all they had to deal with regarding a budget that made the job just that much tougher. 

Barn eye cain say fer certain Coach Story and Ms. Carol are two of the most unselfish people eye know......In addition to giving the big gift for the Story Athletic Center they later gave $20k to each elementary school, intermediate school and middle school in the Mairvul system.... :popcorneater:

Barn eye cain say fer certain Coach Story and Ms. Carol are two of the most unselfish people eye know......In addition to giving the big gift for the Story Athletic Center they later gave $20k to each elementary school, intermediate school and middle school in the Mairvul system.... :popcorneater:

It's hard to explain that away. Great guy.

It's hard to explain that away. Great guy.

He rilly iz sx.......Eye saw him once aftur tha gift two tha skools and thanked him and he sed somethin' like.....

paraphrasing...."Maryville schools had done a lot for him and that the kids (us) and our kids in school now were like his kids and grandkids...... the only ones he would ever have".....I then told him how much he had done for all of us and how much I appreciated him and Carol....

A couple years later my dad passed away and my family had went to the funeral home early for receiving of friends.....Coach was the first guy there....

You are right sx...great guy who walks the walk.....and often does many good deeds anonymously.....Paying it forward....

Edited by STARSNBARS

630Dead_owl_in_Italy_copy1.jpg

qb#7 thaits tha owls footbawl seesun inn Novimbur.....Thay's hung tha kleets up and playin' basketbawl and we's collectin' gold.....Maybee thay need two understaind....Whut goin' hard iz all abowt.....Caws tha owls iz allways goin' home urlee....Hear this shood hep frum our Mairvul City Boyz...... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS