Mairvul Footbawl 2014

STARSNBARS

RR tell SS abowt tha large one callin' Dewey and Dave Clary on those scrimmige days wif O.R........ :popcorneater:

I remember after Maryville beat Oak Ridge real bad in a freshmen game one year. Big John told Dewey to tell Hitch that Maryville's freshmen gave Oak Ridge a dose of whats coming up when Maryville moves up to 5A.

I want Rebelron to tell about the message that Big John left on his answering machine before that 2005 Alcoa game.

Can't tell that one. LOL  Wasn't Alcoa.

One story I can tell is this. I remember my nephew when he was coaching at William Blount. My nephew told Big John that William Blount may have something for Maryville. Big John laughed and told My nephew this. "Maryville's football team could die in a bus wreck and GQ could get 11 students from the student body and kick Wiliam Blount's @$$"

More nuggets from Big John.

Alcoa/Maryville in 2005. Alcoa was supposed to whip Maryville. Big John was behind me saying "Hey Alcoa this isn't Wartburg" all night long as Maryville won 41-21.

Some of Big John's funniest stuff was him calling the Dewey Warren Show. I remember him telling Dewey that Knoxville teams will never beat Maryville until they get off the #### and bring back Middle School Football. Another thing he told Dewey was this. "DEWEY. I DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE VOLS NO MORE. I JUST WORRY ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS AT 825 LAWRENCE"

John also invited Dewey to his tailgates. John tailgated when his son played for Maryville from 2004-2006.He always told Dewey that he was planning on having 16 tailgates a year.

I laughed out loud at the "hey Alcoa this isn't Wartburg" part LOL

Former Maryville coaching legend Ted Wilson turned 80 years old today. Me and my brothers were fortunate to have him as a coach. He was a master motivator. Hearing him say "Dadgum your Dirty Hide"  was funny.

Most Schools never have a legend for a coach. Maryville has been lucky to have 2 of them. When Ted gave up coaching at Maryville in 1980, Maryville was the winningest team since the playoff system started in 1969. Program went downhill after Ted and Don Story left.

I regret never having the privilege of playing for Coach Wilson. I did get to play for Coach Story. That son of a gun was one committed, competitive guy. I could never have asked for a better defensive coach - truly unbelievable. He taught you how to prepare for anything both physically and mentally. We (the players) would call out what the other team's offense was going to run when they got to the line of scrimmage. That makes defense even more fun!

I got to see and speak with Coach Story a few days ago. I got to reminisce and exaggerate old stories. Standing their talking with him I could almost smell the cut grass from the middle of the track. I thought we might break into some grass drills for old times. "Get'em movin'." or "Run to the flats!" LOL. It was a good day. :thumb:

Fellers all gooder stories......And Happy Birthday to Coach Wilson.....Ain't nobodee evur loved Dear Old Mairvul Hi ennymoore thain coach.....

sx .....Ole DW and Ms. Carol have given moore munny two tha Mairvul skool system thain ennybodee eye no.......Good Lord nose thay love yung peepull and are payin' it forward everyday ...!!!!!..... :thumb:

Seems like for some reason the last two times I've went to the Alcoa and Maryville game at Alcoa that Coach Wilson and his family have set next to me and I enjoyed that more than the ballgame. A lot of people don't realize or even have a clue that this man has more to do with the foundation and the structure of Maryville Football and the reason for it's success today. All the feeder systems that go into Maryville football were set up during Coach Wilson's time and if there were a kid worth his salt as a player out there he always had a way to find them. Back when he coached we won three championships when it was a lot harder to win one. The state was broke down into three classifications with over a hundred and twenty schools in each class with eight schools going to the playoffs and in the first four years only four teams went to the playoffs. If it were played the same way today as then Alcoa and Maryville might not have half the championships they have now because it's so watered down that teams with losing records get into the playoffs and back then a team had to go undefeated and still might not go based on strength of schedule. Had the same rules applied back then I can promise you Maryville would have ten more championships then it does now. As a former player under Wilson it makes me sad to not see his name on anything up there and I'm sure it has a lot to do with how things shook out before he went to Kingsport D-B. I think he made a hasty decision to step down as coach and deeply regretted it when his last team really underachieved due to a lot of bad apples on that team. I think that took a toll on him considering  all the success the previous years. I do know he did enjoy his final years at Kingsport and just setting with him at the games he would always check their scores as if he were still up there. 

Seems like for some reason the last two times I've went to the Alcoa and Maryville game at Alcoa that Coach Wilson and his family have set next to me and I enjoyed that more than the ballgame. A lot of people don't realize or even have a clue that this man has more to do with the foundation and the structure of Maryville Football and the reason for it's success today. All the feeder systems that go into Maryville football were set up during Coach Wilson's time and if there were a kid worth his salt as a player out there he always had a way to find them. Back when he coached we won three championships when it was a lot harder to win one. The state was broke down into three classifications with over a hundred and twenty schools in each class with eight schools going to the playoffs and in the first four years only four teams went to the playoffs. If it were played the same way today as then Alcoa and Maryville might not have half the championships they have now because it's so watered down that teams with losing records get into the playoffs and back then a team had to go undefeated and still might not go based on strength of schedule. Had the same rules applied back then I can promise you Maryville would have ten more championships then it does now. As a former player under Wilson it makes me sad to not see his name on anything up there and I'm sure it has a lot to do with how things shook out before he went to Kingsport D-B. I think he made a hasty decision to step down as coach and deeply regretted it when his last team really underachieved due to a lot of bad apples on that team. I think that took a toll on him considering  all the success the previous years. I do know he did enjoy his final years at Kingsport and just setting with him at the games he would always check their scores as if he were still up there. 

Good points Barn...Tha class ov '77 iz inn tha process ov doing something to honor Coach Wilson as eye type..... :popcorneater: