Mt. Juliet Christian Academy

WARBOSS

Let's be honest here, it didn't matter who PC hired, they aren't gonna be playing winning football.  I see PC as a Jerry Jones like AD, too "smart" to realize he's the problem.  

Honestly, PC doesn't seem to understand what it takes to win or build a winning tradition with all the assets and great people available within that community. It certainly should matter who MJCA hires! (Excluding this years hire, jury still out) PC's track record for football coaching have been atrocious for the most part and from all info gathered his basketball coaching lacks substantially in many areas. Proof for those not in the know is to go see his teams play and evaluate. BB season will be here before you know it. Sound coaching for MJCA is critical for a needed turn-a-round.

MJCA can certainly be a winning football program and be built! The pronouncement this year will be in improvement verses good competition. Competitiveness comes in terms of skill development, scheme and technique soundness and having fun playing the game itself.  I personally hope this current coach is good at what he does except his quotes in the Lebanon Democrat has open the door that has me wondering quite a bit?  In their second loss to Middle TN Christian,  "It is about missed tackles,†Mt. Juliet Christian coach Dan Davis said after his Saints slipped to 0-2. “We have to go back to tackling and learning how to do that. We are getting better every week and are getting ready for the district." Two weeks prior in the home opening loss to Whitwell, he said, "There were a lot of missed tackles," Dan Davis said following his debut game as Mt. Juliet Christian coach. "We spotted them way too many points early. That changes our game plan." Offensively gaining 116 yards and given up 1042 yards in two games won't be as ugly if MJCA steadily improves and develops into a sound football team? 

In a place where athletics is more than just something to do he would have been fired.   PC and the all the previous administrations not sure about current headmaster have been happy just to have a team, on that very rare occasion where they are dishing it out, they have no idea how to handle it.  Supposedly the girls soccer team won a game 14-1 last year and PC was at the game enjoying it. If that is true and he did not make the coach call off the dogs at 7 or 8 they both should have been fired.  In a FB game, that would be equivalent to 98-7, in all MJCA FB beatings they have never had it that bad.  My guess is the current headmaster has no clue about athletics and thinks PC does so he is hands off.

In a place where athletics is more than just something to do he would have been fired.   PC and the all the previous administrations not sure about current headmaster have been happy just to have a team, on that very rare occasion where they are dishing it out, they have no idea how to handle it.  Supposedly the girls soccer team won a game 14-1 last year and PC was at the game enjoying it. If that is true and he did not make the coach call off the dogs at 7 or 8 they both should have been fired.  In a FB game, that would be equivalent to 98-7, in all MJCA FB beatings they have never had it that bad.  My guess is the current headmaster has no clue about athletics and thinks PC does so he is hands off.

I think very few at MJCA have a clue about sports, how they should be run or what it takes. I think they try as best they can. . I will say that players are the main ingredient for winning and MJCA has not been blessed with an abundance of talent. They have good kids that want to do well. They also have kids that  probably could not play at other schools. I just do not see where this hire fits MJCA . I wonder what the logic was with the hire.

I think very few at MJCA have a clue about sports, how they should be run or what it takes. I think they try as best they can. . I will say that players are the main ingredient for winning and MJCA has not been blessed with an abundance of talent. They have good kids that want to do well. They also have kids that  probably could not play at other schools. I just do not see where this hire fits MJCA . I wonder what the logic was with the hire.

"it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart."  Ulysses Everett McGill

‎

Just a few observations & comments from someone on the outside looking in:

1. All of the people at MJCA appear to be very nice and sincere

2. It is a family atmosphere and there are few discipline problems with the students

3. The students work hard in the classroom and will do anything that the coach ask within reason

Now for the less than desirable points:

1. The schools academics are good but not great. They are not close to MBA, McCallie, Baylor, Harpeth Hall, GPS, et...

2. MJCA does not have the financial where with all to go out and hire a top tier coach and bring in a top tier coaching staff ($300,000 per year not counting benefits)

3. Why would a young coach want to take a chance on ruining their career by taking the head coaching job at MJCA if they will not be given the tools to be successful?

Overall the school & the families that attend are great but if your goal is to win a state championship I am not convinced that everyone is on board with that type of commitment.

This is an older post but has some rhetoric. Regards to #2, MJCA doesn't need financial where with all to get a top tier coach. Those figures would have 100's upon 100's of applicants and therefore an outlandish comment. The culture must change and certain individuals either admit their errors and move on, or are removed by those who are not satisfied with the current culture or they will continue to have what they always have had.  #3, No matter a young or an old coach makes no difference, a quality coach, in addition to their current budget, booster club funds, etc., can and would generate additional funds through their expertise or experience to help build and buy the tools needed and help turn that school into something great athletically. BUILD AND THEY WILL COME! Develop those players that are playing. Again, that is what I hope this current new coach does. It starts with proof in the pudding and that is improvement of the current team week to week. Those who want to know can see how they perform this Friday's night at their homecoming game?

Finally, an oxymoron? The comment " if your goal is to win a state championship I am not convinced that everyone is on board with that type of commitment," could very well be true, but then there is something seriously wrong with those folks. Then there is what several parents had commented on, the multitude of times the athletic department at MJCA marched out and bragged about their 8th grade team who had gone undefeated last year. Questions are; were those kids fundamentally developed? did they play great football? did they play a competitive schedule? or was it to pump up a feel good moment and milk it for all it possibly was worth? 

This is an older post but has some rhetoric. Regards to #2, MJCA doesn't need financial where with all to get a top tier coach. Those figures would have 100's upon 100's of applicants and therefore an outlandish comment. The culture must change and certain individuals either admit their errors and move on, or are removed by those who are not satisfied with the current culture or they will continue to have what they always have had.  #3, No matter a young or an old coach makes no difference, a quality coach, in addition to their current budget, booster club funds, etc., can and would generate additional funds through their expertise or experience to help build and buy the tools needed and help turn that school into something great athletically. BUILD AND THEY WILL COME! Develop those players that are playing. Again, that is what I hope this current new coach does. It starts with proof in the pudding and that is improvement of the current team week to week. Those who want to know can see how they perform this Friday's night at their homecoming game?

Finally, an oxymoron? The comment " if your goal is to win a state championship I am not convinced that everyone is on board with that type of commitment," could very well be true, but then there is something seriously wrong with those folks. Then there is what several parents had commented on, the multitude of times the athletic department at MJCA marched out and bragged about their 8th grade team who had gone undefeated last year. Questions are; were those kids fundamentally developed? did they play great football? did they play a competitive schedule? or was it to pump up a feel good moment and milk it for all it possibly was worth? 

One of their coaches, during halftime of a game where they were down by 21, told the visiting crowd to just wait on these 8th graders to come up.  They would be dominating by their junior year.  I believe it to be a glorified feel good moment.

Until MJCA plays Webb, they are not serious.  Taking a forfeit each year is pitiful and a terrible example for all of the athletes at this school.  I would be embarrassed to be part of a program that doesn't play all of the squads in the district.  First thing the new coach needs to demand is to make sure in 2015, they play the schedule TSSAA puts out for their squad.  If they skip Webb again next year under the new coaches watch ... just pitiful.  They should switch to MTAC or flag football.

It takes sweat, tears & many hours of sacrifice for any high school team to win a state championship.  I would be shocked if MJCA had anyone in the building that has ever been part of a high school state championship team including administration, teachers, coaching staffs or athletes.  Until MJCA decides to make the necessary financial contribution to hire proven coaching staffs and make the time and sacrifice commitment necessary to win a state championship they will continue to flounder in obscurity.  Hiring a coaching staff that has a track record of winning state titles is possible but the minute that "Little Johnny" has to switch from the premier position to another position because a big time player decided to attend MJCA you would hear the parents start to scream that someone "STOLE" their sons position.  What everyone fails to say is that "Little Johnny" has limited skills and would have a difficult time even getting on the field and one of the premier D2 programs like MUS, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, etc...

It takes sweat, tears & many hours of sacrifice for any high school team to win a state championship.  I would be shocked if MJCA had anyone in the building that has ever been part of a high school state championship team including administration, teachers, coaching staffs or athletes.  Until MJCA decides to make the necessary financial contribution to hire proven coaching staffs and make the time and sacrifice commitment necessary to win a state championship they will continue to flounder in obscurity.  Hiring a coaching staff that has a track record of winning state titles is possible but the minute that "Little Johnny" has to switch from the premier position to another position because a big time player decided to attend MJCA you would hear the parents start to scream that someone "STOLE" their sons position.  What everyone fails to say is that "Little Johnny" has limited skills and would have a difficult time even getting on the field and one of the premier D2 programs like MUS, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, etc...

CBG, can generally agree with you here except that most schools and IMO including MJCA, would likely accept and welcome any and all athletes to come in and compete and earn a position and help achieve their long term goals. From what I have seen over the years, outside of one case perhaps, parents at MJCA have little effect. All changes are the responsibility of the coaches and parents would need to understand what good sportsmanship and competition is all about, This is something the head coach certainly would address at the first parent coaches meeting and failing to accept the truth of a situation would probably cause that parent to be looking in from the outside. As far as premier positions, all positions are important including the scout teams! As you said, it takes a full team and full team effort to win state titles. 

Besides a program that is on the rise, steadily shows improvement and ultimately develops a winning tradition will carry the day. 

CBG, can generally agree with you here except that most schools and IMO including MJCA, would likely accept and welcome any and all athletes to come in and compete and earn a position and help achieve their long term goals. From what I have seen over the years, outside of one case perhaps, parents at MJCA have little effect. All changes are the responsibility of the coaches and parents would need to understand what good sportsmanship and competition is all about, This is something the head coach certainly would address at the first parent coaches meeting and failing to accept the truth of a situation would probably cause that parent to be looking in from the outside. As far as premier positions, all positions are important including the scout teams! As you said, it takes a full team and full team effort to win state titles. 

Besides a program that is on the rise, steadily shows improvement and ultimately develops a winning tradition will carry the day. 

I am speaking with experience when I say that parents at most schools do not welcome great athletes from the outside with open arms.  For most it seems as they perceive it as a turf war and they are offended if someone takes "Little Johnnies" premier position.  They would rather "Little Johnny" play and the team take a loss than allow the outsider to play the premier position and the team win. 

As for the sportsmanship, fair play, competition, etc...that is all great but let's not forget that Reverend Spurrier (Steve Spurrier's father) told his Little League team that those things were not the goal, the goal is to win games and championships.