TSSAA issues response to botched call that cost Cleveland it season.

Ericblair

February 27, 2014,   Emerald City, TN (AP Wizard of Oz Newswire)

Commenting on the controversial call that cost the Cleveland Basketball Raiders its season, the Association responded, “How many times do we have to go over this…we really don’t care about that stuff.  Remember last year’s blown call that ended McMinn Central girl’s season, we didn’t care about that either.  Remember when we said Cleveland’s football team was in the playoffs last year but really wasn’t, we didn’t care about that either. Or when we said Hall of Fame receipts where to build a building but that we kept instead…getting the picture here.   We are in this for the money and that’s why we take (opps..we mean make) and keep lots of it.  How many times do we have to go over this"?

When asked why they did care about and reverse the ejection of Ensworth’s Ricky Bowers this past year, the Association responded, “Ensworth is not a title one school and has money, and lots of it and we like money. That’s why we have about $3MM of the stuff and don’t even thinking of asking for some of it back. Keep working on those car washes and golf tournaments to meet your budget.  Plus Ensworth can afford attorneys and we really don’t respond well when challenged like that. We much prefer the collegial environment of the Kindergarten Control Boardâ€.

When asked what advice they could give to the damaged players and coaches the Association offered, “it’s just a game, get over it, but be sure to send in your game receipts and support your local teamsâ€. 

Edited by Ericblair
  • Upvote 1

I was at this game and it probably should have been called a travel. It seemed like the SMHS player was tripped and then fell into the CHS player. The officials got together and then the overruling official slowly walked to the scorers table to make the foul call. It's a crying shame that smarter heads didn't prevail (but hey we are talking about officials here) and that a walking call was made. This would have most likely sent the game to overtime unless a miracle score could be made with 1.8 seconds left in the game. As it was the determination that it was a foul sealed the fate of CHS and ended the season.

It's not the first time that a referee has made a call that ended the season for a team from District 5-AAA in post-season, elimination play. If you will recall a technical foul was called on Bradley Central in a sub-state game at Blackman 2 seasons ago with under 2 seconds left in a tie game that cost BCHS a chance to win in overtime. That call was made by a ref that was in backcourt on a player in front court that he saw 'mouth' a profanity toward an official.

But the bottom line on the Cleveland game was that it should not have come down to this call making a difference in the game. There were plenty of opportunities earlier in the game for CHS to hit some shots, make some free throws and stop the turnovers which would have made this call irrelevant. If Cleveland had their starting point guard, who was injured and in a cast, they would have won this game by 10-15 points.

I was at the game, and had a clear view of the play. The kid from Cleveland clearly fouled the Stone player. It wasn't even that close of a call. The Cleveland fans and coach were on the exact opposite side of the court and couldn't have had a clean view. Cleveland's coach showed a complete lack of class with his comments. Also, I did not see a ref signal a walk.

The radio broadcast & both articles I read on game (one linked in thread above & one linked in the 6AAA thread) said one ref called a walk, so that's not really debatable.

What Cleveland fans need to remember is that it was tied, so it was only 50/50 that Cleveland would have won in OT. Good points above (that many games have been decided by bad calls & that refs should not make a questionable call & put someone to the line in a tie game with 1.8 seconds left). Although I don't agree that CHS would have won by 10-15 with T. Ware. He's an impact player (all District & All District tourney), but it's not that simple. One of Cookeville's best players was out vs Bradley & that's just part of the game.

Tough to end your season that way, but if Cleveland was that much better, it wouldn't have been tied with 1.8 seconds. I'd love to see the play on film, but it's irrelevant at this point, so let's just all congratulate Stone on being the Region Champs.

Sad this happens way too much where overpaid officials can dictate a game but have no consequence for their poor performance. Funny, the schools are paying for their service and the service they provide is a lot of the time not of quality but the governing body never holds them accountable. Let a coach get tossed for questioning them and he is held accountable..why aren't they?