TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

Lets put this in perspective simply as to the basketball state tournament.  There are no private schools in AAA.  Thus in A and AA, 4 (Boyd, Columbia Acad, Goodpasture and CPA) make up 25% of the field in those classes.  3 of those are in A making up 38% of the field.  That's an extremely large percentage.

The reason the split is always difficult is because the AAA schools couldn't care less because they don't have to deal with it.

One of the reasons that TSSAA is trying to slow this entire process down is that the organization understands a completely separate private school classification is only one very simple step away from breaking off entirely from TSSAA and forming an independent schools' athletic association. Tennessee is one of the few states that has yet to see this occur and not surprisingly is way behind the times.

It would be in the best interests of private schools if this thing actually passed. It is amazing that the leadership of independent schools would willingly cede their power to an entity that cares so little about them.

Edited by MoonDogRex

I think it says you can but you have to go to the nearest school with the sport available. I know that Walker Valleys heavy weight wrestler was from Polk. WV is closer to Polk than any other. I actually like the rule for the kid but to me I'm with Wareagle on this one. If you choos to homeschool you choose to do things different. For whatever reason. Not right or wrong just the choice that is made. Just like the private schools chose to be private. So why do you want that one thing? Either in or out.

No child left behind...  every child should have the same opportunity to play sports.  Again, the TSSAA has the rules voted on by represenatives of every member school that allows for these scenarios. 

And just like any governing body, it is only as good as the people willing to stay involved and voice their opinions to their representatives.  All discussion has been good and their are more valid points on the split.  As others have said and IT WILL BE true if the split happens that the public schools will still recruit and get transfers from other public schools.  Then there will discussion on Magnet/Charter schools being public but they can recruit due to their academic options.  Then it will be open enrollment school districts.

To me, the real outcry should be from all schools, public, private, charter, magnet, for the TSSAA to enforce the recruiting and financial aid rules that are on the books.  And when enforcing them, dont give a quick backhand slap but a good ole, drop-your-pants, get the willow switch spanking.  When a couple of schools get real punishment, the field will begin to level.

I KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO SAY THAT PRIVATES IN DI DON'T RECRUIT, BUT THEY DO.

T$$AA JUST DOES NOT WANT TO INVESTIGATE EVERY RECRUITING RULE VIOLATION THAT IS REPORTED TO THEM. IF THE T$$AA WAS SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING THEIR RULES THEY WOULD HAVE A SATELITE OFFICE IN KNOXVILLE, JACKSON, MEMPHIS, THE BURO, AND CHATTANOOGA.

THEY DON'T WANT THAT BECAUSE UNCLE BERNARD AND THE T$$AA MAFIA WOULD LOOSE ALOT OF MONEY, PLUS THEY ARE AFRAID OF THE PRIVATES (THEY FEAR A LAWSUIT LIKE BA SLAPED ON THEM BACK IN THE DAY.

THEY ARE ALSO AFRAID OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AND THE MEDIA, JUST TO NAME A FEW.

GRACE IN KNOXVILLE WAS CHEATING AND ALL THE GOT WAS A SLAP ON THE RIST AND THEY KICKED THE KID OUT OF SCHOOL WHEN HE BECAME INELIGIBLE. THEY SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE DEATH PENALTY, SENT TO THE REGIONS OF BIG BOY BALL IN DII INSTEAD OF BEATING UP ON THE small publics.

Put T$$AA under control of the state legislature or governors office and things will change. We will get back to the democratic policies of majority rule.

I will respond to your last comment first.

The TSSAA is already a majority rules organization. The board is elected by the TSSAA member schools of each region as representatives for their region. When they vote on things it is majority wins.

And you think letting the government oversee it.... Now that is completely ridiculous. Our elected officials cannot run the state government. They will surely mess it up worst than it already is.  You think the TSSAA makes money now, wait until the true politicians get their hands in the jar.

Privates are not the only schools that recruit.  Publics in medium to large cities do the same. 

The TSSAA lets the schools self-police themselves, just like the NCAA.  The problem with this is that no one will turn in another school because they AD's do not want people snooping and turning them in.  Just like offensive holding or a foul in basketball, they can be called on every play, all schools have some dirt in the closet.

:roflolk::roflol:

Wooooh now, slow up on that type of talk about Memphis. Its good to talk about other parts of the state but stay away from bringing the most honest, cleanest, rule abiding group of schools in the state into this conversation.

:roflol::roflolk:

Since the thread is about the public/private split I decided not to eleborate on the Memphis problem. Notice I said it needed to be addressed.

I will admit I am for a split. I think private schools should do tournament play together. Nothing against them. I have really never understood why they would want to play D1 and have to deal with the accusations and bickering. I think if they want to play their local public schools and the public schools are amenable go right ahead.

Tennessee is one of the few states that has yet to see this occur and not surprisingly is way behind the times.

Actually, your "very few" is most states. The only states where the public and private schools have fully separate associations are Maryland and Virginia. (The Carolinas, Mississippi, and Texas allow certain Catholic schools in their public leagues; New Jersey separates some but not all sports within a single state association; and New York and California each have a weirdly mixed structure.)