TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private Split

bobcatfan300

What does it matter it they are public or private??? Seriously???? Man, no wonder we are raising a society that thinks they are "entitled" to anything they want. MTSU girls defeated SEC powerhouses such as KY, GA, LSU and other schools from major conferences. It's a dang good thing that no one told them that they were in weaker conference and should not compete with these schools. The NCAA tournament is not being fair by making little schools such as Davidson and Butler play against these larger schools???? REALLY!!!!??? I just get so tired of everyone complaining about things not being fair. If it's not the public/private thing, it's complaining about open zoning. If it's not that, then it's complaining about students moving schools or coaches who "recruit." It's the nature of sports..... All is not always fair, but you should teach your child/athlete to compete no matter what the circumstances and to never whine and complain. Again, just another example of teaching this young society entitlement!!!

I concur!!! This is what a good athlete is taught compete no matter who you play and do everything in your ability to perform at your highest level!

Johnny IS a proper noun...dOUG. Also, the athletes were drawn to the school with the DII regulations in effect...the ability to switch back and forth at will, while utilizing recruited athletes seem fair to you? Note that I didn't say legal, I said fair.

I was speaking of the word "If". ...

"The nearest private is 40 miles away (two of them in our district), and If little Johnny is recruited..."

How many Class A and AA teams can form a team the way CPA has? Or have a quarterback come in from Ringgold the way Notre Dame did a couple of years back, for his senior year? It is not the transferring as much as it is the process in some cases.

You have a valid point, true....however, I still maintain that it just gives better competition to the other schools. I hate winning in a weak district by 20-30 points. I would much rather compete with some of these privates that make the districts and regions stronger. But, the privates are not always better. In girls basketball, the privates around here are weaker than the public schools. I guess it is just what you want out of the experience. 

I was speaking of the word "If". ...

"The nearest private is 40 miles away (two of them in our district), and If little Johnny is recruited..."

Intended to emphasize he word "IF"... if it makes you feel better both were meant to be cap's, and my fingers were quicker than my brain. Maybe if I'd been educated at a private school...

What does it matter it they are public or private??? Seriously???? Man, no wonder we are raising a society that thinks they are "entitled" to anything they want. MTSU girls defeated SEC powerhouses such as KY, GA, LSU and other schools from major conferences. It's a dang good thing that no one told them that they were in weaker conference and should not compete with these schools. The NCAA tournament is not being fair by making little schools such as Davidson and Butler play against these larger schools???? REALLY!!!!??? I just get so tired of everyone complaining about things not being fair. If it's not the public/private thing, it's complaining about open zoning. If it's not that, then it's complaining about students moving schools or coaches who "recruit." It's the nature of sports..... All is not always fair, but you should teach your child/athlete to compete no matter what the circumstances and to never whine and complain. Again, just another example of teaching this young society entitlement!!!

You must be joking! The example used above and the Michigan vs. App. State that TheDrDre used are perfect for my pro split position. MTSU, Davidson, and Butler are division I because they want to be. NCAA has more than one division, set up that way for small schools who (even though they can recruit) feel that they can't compete with the division one schools. App. State chose to schedule Michigan in the regular season, but did not have to face them (or any other BCS school) in order to compete for the FBS national championship. MTSU chooses to "play up" , as does Ensworth. You say that "all is not always fair", then speak of teaching entitlement in the same sentence, how about teaching kids to stand up for what is just? This issue is about making an attempt to level the playing field, and the message that you're sending is "fight to keep our entitlement". Edited by tradertwo

You have a valid point, true....however, I still maintain that it just gives better competition to the other schools. I hate winning in a weak district by 20-30 points. I would much rather compete with some of these privates that make the districts and regions stronger. But, the privates are not always better. In girls basketball, the privates around here are weaker than the public schools. I guess it is just what you want out of the experience. 

You make some very good points. However, I can see both sides of the argument/debate.  Is there truly an answer to this that will satisfy all? 

The biggest issue in my opinion is not recruiting, money, or facilites. There are publics that recruit, anyone who says none do have their head in the sand. Publics will always face issues of money because schools don't have the same tax base. I've seen some public schools with excellent facilities and privates with nothing. Rural vs urban isn't really that big of a deal with me because you can't help what type of student lives in the area.

The biggest issue is that privates can have students from anywhere. I'm going to pick on TCA because its around me. A student from Dyer (45ish minute drive north of Jackson) can attend TCA, he/she drives right past Trenton Peabody and Humboldt but can not attend because he/she is zoned to Gibson County Special School District. He/she can't attend a public school in Jackson for the same reason. Not sure how that's not an huge advantage.

Also something else is that privates have is that they can control enrollment. They can turn students away for any reason. This can keep you in whatever classification you want.

Before anyone goes there (because it will happen) I am aware that some publics can be open zoned and take out of zone students and that some magnets and the like can control enrollment. I'm in favor of putting a multiplier on all that do.

I don't think we need to look about satisfying anyone......I think the emphasis should be on producing an equal playing field.  I also think a split shouldn't seperate the schools....I think every school should be able to schedule at their own descretion.  Certainly scheduling strong teams will only make your team improved over the long run.  I believe we have two games against an opponent farther than 100 miles from our school because playing those teams makes us better.  There are at least 5 private schools that are closer and I could see us considering those instead in the future just for travel time and benefits of solid competition alone.

The open zone schools still have the majority of their students from a nearby area, most likely.

You are right about turning some away. Take a 1000-student public school, have them dismiss many who are not serious about their educations, show no incentive to get better and probably would never play a sport. Take the students remaining and put them in a small class and see what would result.

Very sick of hearing you private supporters say things like work harder, man up, play harder. Small school kids work as hard as any athletes on ANY team. And most work jobs after practices. Just split with your elite attitudes. Its obvious MOST private supporters I've ever met had that attitude. Just because you can afford it doesn't make you any better. Most privates are religion based and you would never know it if it wasn't in the name of the school. Go do your own thing. The advantage you have is that atheletes can choose to go to your school. These kids can all jump on any private.