2014 9-AAA Off Season Thread

MajorZ

Oh, make no mistatke Gwave, I have no idea about anything concerning a player from Gallatin to Station Camp. I was just trying to refer to the situation we just went through, and how it is suppose to work, yet how it worked LOL. There is always a miss communication on the internet. It just amazed me in our situation, where it seemed the parents had followed all the rules, yet the TSSAA based their decision on a letter from the principal, but, it is in the rules, that the player must have a letter from the schools principal,that they are leaving, for them to have any chance at not losing a year. I know kids that have and have not missed any playing time. It doesnt seem to be any consistency at all. I know players personally that have gone from one school to another, from private to public, and public to private. The out come has been different on all of them. I just hate to see any player lose a year due to adults not agreeing. Thats the only point I was trying to make, and the fact that there is different strokes for different folks. Good luck to yall this year, I think we have yall in baseball the last 2 games of the season.  

Oh, make no mistatke Gwave, I have no idea about anything concerning a player from Gallatin to Station Camp. I was just trying to refer to the situation we just went through, and how it is suppose to work, yet how it worked LOL. There is always a miss communication on the internet. It just amazed me in our situation, where it seemed the parents had followed all the rules, yet the TSSAA based their decision on a letter from the principal, but, it is in the rules, that the player must have a letter from the schools principal,that they are leaving, for them to have any chance at not losing a year. I know kids that have and have not missed any playing time. It doesnt seem to be any consistency at all. I know players personally that have gone from one school to another, from private to public, and public to private. The out come has been different on all of them. I just hate to see any player lose a year due to adults not agreeing. Thats the only point I was trying to make, and the fact that there is different strokes for different folks. Good luck to yall this year, I think we have yall in baseball the last 2 games of the season.

I agree with you, there seems to be no consistency. Whatever happens happens. It would be great to have him but if not, plans do not change. All of this has happened in the last 3 weeks and I was kind of surprised he came back. Good luck to him either way.

I agree with you, there seems to be no consistency. Whatever happens happens. It would be great to have him but if not, plans do not change. All of this has happened in the last 3 weeks and I was kind of surprised he came back. Good luck to him either way.

Right, and even though he will be running against us, I still dont want to see any player lose a year, high school is too short.

Read my post in the other thread, we just went through this same thing is baseball. Parent even showed the court order for the custody change. Did not matter. The letter from the school the player was leaving was the overwhelming factor. I can see why there are rules for this, but, I cant see keeping a kid from playing for a year. But, I guess thats why there are rules for it, I could see where it could get out of hand in some situations. We had a player leave us and transferred to Beech at Christmas, BUT, he left with a "good" letter in his hand. Its really all up to the principalities of the school. The TSSAA appears to not go against the grain in these matters. Dont know if thats good or bad.  But it sure does give a lot of power to the principals that the player is leaving from.   

In my best Paul Harvey voice, and now for the rest of the story. The kid in question had an altercation with a coach during a game. After the game, the parents confronted the coach. This happened on a Friday or Saturday. The kid transferred to Portland on Monday. This info came from someone who witnessed the incident. So, maybe he was going to transfer, but it sure sounds like athletics had a role in the decision. As far as the Banks situation, from what I have been told, the mother has more than enough proof that this is in no way an athletic related decision. This is strictly a situation where financial pressure caused the child to go and live with his dad until the mother got back on her feet.

In my best Paul Harvey voice, and now for the rest of the story. The kid in question had an altercation with a coach during a game. After the game, the parents confronted the coach. This happened on a Friday or Saturday. The kid transferred to Portland on Monday. This info came from someone who witnessed the incident. So, maybe he was going to transfer, but it sure sounds like athletics had a role in the decision. As far as the Banks situation, from what I have been told, the mother has more than enough proof that this is in no way an athletic related decision. This is strictly a situation where financial pressure caused the child to go and live with his dad until the mother got back on her feet.

Thanks Roll, I know all about the incident with the assistant coach and the whole story, its my understanding it wasnt during a game, it was before the varsity game but after JV, and over a snickers bar and a drink (from what I have been told, but who knows, I wasnt there, lol) . I too know more people in Gallatin than just this player, I was born and raised there and know people that witnessed it as well. Everyone knows an "eye witness" is the worst person to interview, everyone see's an event differently, so I dismiss all the things people "say", If I dont see it, hear it or read it with my own eyes, I ignore it.....  I do have a feeling this is where the "bad" feelings came in between both parties though. But as you stated, the transfer question came up long before this. They (the player that transferred) was waiting for the 9 weeks to end for both schools. When it ended, he transferred. But the whole proceedings of the transfer of custody began months before. The irony of the "story" is the fact when the Dad got custody of the child, he moved then. So for over 6 weeks or longer, they were driving him back and forth to Gallatin to go to school. Therefore, he was out of zone, and made him ineligible to play for Gallatin, everyone knew it, it was posted on the internet,  but, that wasnt a problem, then. The problem only occurred when the player actually did transfer and the disagreement took place at the ball game, in front of all the parents, players, etc.  and was subsequently posted all over Facebook/Twitter. Then after that, it was sour grapes all the way around and in MY opinion, turned into a "he said/she said" kind of thing, and that was good for no one........Like I said, I hate to see ANY player lose a year of playing due to the adults not getting along. Do I think it should have happened at Christmas break? Yes. Then I dont think there would have been any "misunderstanding.", but, as it happened, those were the consequences and the player and his family have to go with it. Even though the young man cant play varsity, he is able to play on JV and practice and seems quite content. Im glad he is back, Ive coached him since he was 4, and missed him when he left 3 years ago.......my only point to all of this, and I guess I wasnt not eloquent enough to get my point across, which is hard to do with typed words,  in two different threads, I want players/parents to understand, TSSAA makes the rules, BUT, the controlling schools and principals have a huge factor in a players transfer and how the officials at TSSAA interpret them and make their decisions. The rules states clearly, the principal at the school the player is leaving must write the letter, just because the parent thinks they are covered by the rules, until it goes before the panel, you just dont know the outcome.....another "funny" twist, the Banks kids Dad is from Portland, do I wish the Mom had moved up here, heck yea, but, I also wish to see the young man play as well. I hope all this I just wrote is coming across the right way, there is no "ill" intent on my part at all. I just want people to understand the rules....so back to the subject of football, we will be small again this year, have a new head coach, who is building his program. (no I do not coach football, I just take the photos on the sideline), but from what Im hearing from my son, there is a lot of enthusiasm this year. So Im hoping for a good Spring. Though we wont be there, since he is playing baseball till the season  ends. Good luck to all the Sumner County teams and my ol alma mater the Wave. 

Thanks Roll, I know all about the incident with the assistant coach and the whole story, its my understanding it wasnt during a game, it was before the varsity game but after JV, and over a snickers bar and a drink (from what I have been told, but who knows, I wasnt there, lol) . I too know more people in Gallatin than just this player, I was born and raised there and know people that witnessed it as well. Everyone knows an "eye witness" is the worst person to interview, everyone see's an event differently, so I dismiss all the things people "say", If I dont see it, hear it or read it with my own eyes, I ignore it.....  I do have a feeling this is where the "bad" feelings came in between both parties though. But as you stated, the transfer question came up long before this. They (the player that transferred) was waiting for the 9 weeks to end for both schools. When it ended, he transferred. But the whole proceedings of the transfer of custody began months before. The irony of the "story" is the fact when the Dad got custody of the child, he moved then. So for over 6 weeks or longer, they were driving him back and forth to Gallatin to go to school. Therefore, he was out of zone, and made him ineligible to play for Gallatin, everyone knew it, it was posted on the internet,  but, that wasnt a problem, then. The problem only occurred when the player actually did transfer and the disagreement took place at the ball game, in front of all the parents, players, etc.  and was subsequently posted all over Facebook/Twitter. Then after that, it was sour grapes all the way around and in MY opinion, turned into a "he said/she said" kind of thing, and that was good for no one........Like I said, I hate to see ANY player lose a year of playing due to the adults not getting along. Do I think it should have happened at Christmas break? Yes. Then I dont think there would have been any "misunderstanding.", but, as it happened, those were the consequences and the player and his family have to go with it. Even though the young man cant play varsity, he is able to play on JV and practice and seems quite content. Im glad he is back, Ive coached him since he was 4, and missed him when he left 3 years ago.......my only point to all of this, and I guess I wasnt not eloquent enough to get my point across, which is hard to do with typed words,  in two different threads, I want players/parents to understand, TSSAA makes the rules, BUT, the controlling schools and principals have a huge factor in a players transfer and how the officials at TSSAA interpret them and make their decisions. The rules states clearly, the principal at the school the player is leaving must write the letter, just because the parent thinks they are covered by the rules, until it goes before the panel, you just dont know the outcome.....another "funny" twist, the Banks kids Dad is from Portland, do I wish the Mom had moved up here, heck yea, but, I also wish to see the young man play as well. I hope all this I just wrote is coming across the right way, there is no "ill" intent on my part at all. I just want people to understand the rules....so back to the subject of football, we will be small again this year, have a new head coach, who is building his program. (no I do not coach football, I just take the photos on the sideline), but from what Im hearing from my son, there is a lot of enthusiasm this year. So Im hoping for a good Spring. Though we wont be there, since he is playing baseball till the season  ends. Good luck to all the Sumner County teams and my ol alma mater the Wave. 

All cases are different and need to be looked at as such.

Concerning the baseball player, it was not just over a snickers bar and a drink. The young man broke team rules in that he consistently had his cell phone in the dugout and he would talk to his girlfriend from the dugout during the game. He had been previously warned, had cell phone in use during the JV game and when his girlfriend brought over a snickers bar and drink over to the dugout during the start of the varsity game (yes the game was starting), the assistant coach commented in disapproval. Nothing else was said until after the game when the parents came onto the field upset with the assistant coach and dad began to yell. Action was for him to no longer be on the team. This should have been resolved not after the game but at a meeting the next day with parents and child. He did not move due to custody, but due to athletics. Bottom line. He and the sister have had a Portland address long before the transfer. If you feel Gallatin was in the wrong while he played at Gallatin, address it as a coach. It is unfortunate and I would like to see him playing varsity as well, however, the letter only stated fact.

Concerning Gallatin kids to Station Camp or Station Camp kids to Gallatin, everything has been filled out properly in all cases except one. Again, on paper as there have been outside factors in a decision. Past is past. Moving on.

Concerning Banks, mom has always had custody and circumstances occurred where he had to move in with dad for a time. Ezell-Harding was his first stop in high school because his uncle was an assistant coach there and was trying to help him and his mom out. Some have said why eligibility is an issue. The second move (living with Mom, moving in with dad then moving back with Mom) is the issue that could make him ineligible. However, is this case valid for hardship?  By all accounts, he should be granted eligibility. Let's keep in mind we are dealing with the TSSAA. Paperwork is in and time will tell.

All cases are different and need to be looked at as such.

Concerning the baseball player, it was not just over a snickers bar and a drink. The young man broke team rules in that he consistently had his cell phone in the dugout and he would talk to his girlfriend from the dugout during the game. He had been previously warned, had cell phone in use during the JV game and when his girlfriend brought over a snickers bar and drink over to the dugout during the start of the varsity game (yes the game was starting), the assistant coach commented in disapproval. Nothing else was said until after the game when the parents came onto the field upset with the assistant coach and dad began to yell. Action was for him to no longer be on the team. This should have been resolved not after the game but at a meeting the next day with parents and child. He did not move due to custody, but due to athletics. Bottom line. He and the sister have had a Portland address long before the transfer. If you feel Gallatin was in the wrong while he played at Gallatin, address it as a coach. It is unfortunate and I would like to see him playing varsity as well, however, the letter only stated fact.

Concerning Gallatin kids to Station Camp or Station Camp kids to Gallatin, everything has been filled out properly in all cases except one. Again, on paper as there have been outside factors in a decision. Past is past. Moving on.

Concerning Banks, mom has always had custody and circumstances occurred where he had to move in with dad for a time. Ezell-Harding was his first stop in high school because his uncle was an assistant coach there and was trying to help him and his mom out. Some have said why eligibility is an issue. The second move (living with Mom, moving in with dad then moving back with Mom) is the issue that could make him ineligible. However, is this case valid for hardship?  By all accounts, he should be granted eligibility. Let's keep in mind we are dealing with the TSSAA. Paperwork is in and time will tell.

TRT, I think we are saying the same thing but differently. Yes, the whole situation should have been handled differently, got no qualms about any of that. There are rules to follow, and must be followed, our head coach has the same team rules, as well. Have no problems with any coach making their players subject to team rules. Im old school, and thats how it should be. I guess this situation, (concerning reason for transfer) is all in the eye of the beholder. I guess since Ive known all the parents involved and knew when the custody thing began, I see it one way. BUT, if I only knew what you described above, then YES I could see where it could be seen as for being for athletic purposes. Also, as you said, the custody part was handled, and the player moved weeks before they asked Gallatin to submit the paper work. Which, did in fact make him ineligible to play in Gallatin, since the player was now out of zone due to physically moving. All things considered the whole matter should have been handled differently, its easy for all of us to  Monday morning quarterback decisions/reasonings others make, like I stated in another thread, thats not my intent here and I dont want it to be seen that way. It was also not my intent to cast blame on any parent/player or school. Hope it wasnt read that way. I also agree it should be handled between the coaches/ad/principal and as far as I know, it was. It may be my near sighted thinking, but, often I wonder if these things couldnt be worked out better by those individuals and keeping the TSSAA out of it. TRT glad you chimed in here, I thought you might, hope all is well and good luck to yall, looking forward to seeing the young man run the ball( I try my best not to mention a high school player by name, unless he is my own, they are still kids in my opinion, glad to see TRT had the class to do that as well in our situation) , and to see Gallatin headed back to where they were in football, when I was in school there...............many decades ago lol . Great debate......oh TRT or Gwave, when we play yall in baseball, if you have any kids that play or know the parents, and you want their photos, I take about 400-500 a game while Im keeping the book, coaching, etc. Yall are welcome to them off my facebook wall. 

Alright help my ignorance here. If a player is currently living in a zone and playing for a team then moves out of zone but still is playing for that team, he or she is now ineligible? I thought that if you lived in said zone and the season started you would be eligible throughout that season. Especially if you provided your own transportation. I admit I have not researched this.

TRT, I think we are saying the same thing but differently. Yes, the whole situation should have been handled differently, got no qualms about any of that. There are rules to follow, and must be followed, our head coach has the same team rules, as well. Have no problems with any coach making their players subject to team rules. Im old school, and thats how it should be. I guess this situation, (concerning reason for transfer) is all in the eye of the beholder. I guess since Ive known all the parents involved and knew when the custody thing began, I see it one way. BUT, if I only knew what you described above, then YES I could see where it could be seen as for being for athletic purposes. Also, as you said, the custody part was handled, and the player moved weeks before they asked Gallatin to submit the paper work. Which, did in fact make him ineligible to play in Gallatin, since the player was now out of zone due to physically moving. All things considered the whole matter should have been handled differently, its easy for all of us to  Monday morning quarterback decisions/reasonings others make, like I stated in another thread, thats not my intent here and I dont want it to be seen that way. It was also not my intent to cast blame on any parent/player or school. Hope it wasnt read that way. I also agree it should be handled between the coaches/ad/principal and as far as I know, it was. It may be my near sighted thinking, but, often I wonder if these things couldnt be worked out better by those individuals and keeping the TSSAA out of it. TRT glad you chimed in here, I thought you might, hope all is well and good luck to yall, looking forward to seeing the young man run the ball( I try my best not to mention a high school player by name, unless he is my own, they are still kids in my opinion, glad to see TRT had the class to do that as well in our situation) , and to see Gallatin headed back to where they were in football, when I was in school there...............many decades ago lol . Great debate......oh TRT or Gwave, when we play yall in baseball, if you have any kids that play or know the parents, and you want their photos, I take about 400-500 a game while Im keeping the book, coaching, etc. Yall are welcome to them off my facebook wall. 

I believe we are also on the same page and you made some great statements which I highlighted. I also want to make something else clear. Everybody did not know he had moved out of zone and played while being ineligible over the prior weeks for Gallatin nor knew he was going to transfer. Actually, It seems very suspicious that the incident happened Friday night and he was in the guidance consoler's office Monday morning and at Portland by the afternoon. Coaches had him inked down as getting some starts as a pitcher on varsity and were counting on him. Maybe he knew he was going to transfer hence the rebelling of team rules. Regardless, I wish him the best and wish he able to play varsity no matter the school. 

Alright help my ignorance here. If a player is currently living in a zone and playing for a team then moves out of zone but still is playing for that team, he or she is now ineligible? I thought that if you lived in said zone and the season started you would be eligible throughout that season. Especially if you provided your own transportation. I admit I have not researched this.

I understood that you still must still submit an out of zone form.