2014 9-AAA Off Season Thread

MajorZ

SOUTHERNFRIED, I like how you think. Old school and goes by the rules no matter the situation. Not a blame blame guy. More need to be that way including myself sometimes.

Gwave, Im basing it off of memory, and Lord help me, but I think there is a rule that says a player must play for the school he is zoned for. We had a player, (a kid Ive coached since he and my son was 4, one pitched, one caught, and they batter 1, 2.) In December his family had some unforseen problems and moved to Hendersonville, He still tried to drive back and forth for a week, it was just too much. His Mom called TSSAA and asked what her options were, they told her he could only play in the zone he was living in, rut roh. They thought they were living in an area for Station Camp, but, TSSAA told them they were zoned for Beech. Wasn't his fault or his parents, so the paper work was signed, and he is playing at Beech this semester. Now did they get accurate info from TSSAA, I have no idea. Just basing it off of what they were told. Trust me it was heart breaking, myself and his Dad had kept these boys together since they were 4, shared many games on a bucket with one another. So I know what he told me is how they understood it. Im glad he did transfer and is able to play, driving 30 miles to school is just too much of a risk for a 16 yr old person. 

Edited by SOUTHERNFRIED

I believe we are also on the same page and you made some great statements which I highlighted. I also want to make something else clear. Everybody did not know he had moved out of zone and played while being ineligible over the prior weeks for Gallatin nor knew he was going to transfer. Actually, It seems very suspicious that the incident happened Friday night and he was in the guidance counselor's office Monday morning and at Portland by the afternoon. Coaches had him inked down as getting some starts as a pitcher on varsity and were counting on him. Maybe he knew he was going to transfer hence the rebelling of team rules. Regardless, I wish him the best and wish he able to play varsity no matter the school. 

The highlighted area is why I said, it could be perceived that way due to the timing of the move. I have no knowledge of rules being broken or rebelling. Heck he is a 15-16 yr old boy, show me one that doesnt lol I just know he was having issues in school, and wanted to come home. He and his parents made a deal, turn things around and they will make a change. He did, as soon as the 9 weeks was over, they transferred. I know perception is a dangerous thing, and I can see how this could be seen differently. The parents thought it was cut and dry, regain custody, player physically moves, then they are good to go. They spoke with TSSAA and based on that info, they thought they were good, but the transfer letter, from what I understand, short version, like you stated, was for athletic reasons period. That sealed the deal. Even in the subsequent appeal and hardship filing, TSSAA still based their decision on the letter. That is the only point I was trying to make, I guess thats my PSA alert for this thread.  The MOST important element in any transfer is the letter from the school the player is leaving. I don't want any other parent to think they are "good to go", when they very well could not be. To be honest, I don't know how any school official can keep up with all these rules, lol There has to be a better way.....lol and by everyone knowing, I meant, kids talk. Heck my son knew about it a week or two before it happened lol. Kids dont keep secrets, secrets cause hard feelings and adults make mistakes. That's why the Lord forgives. Well, Im all out of facts for this discussion, anything else I might say, will be purely speculation on my part, and that is wrong for me to do. Like a bad stomach virus, this too shall pass, lol. Good luck to all our teams, and I pray for safe play.

Looking forward to the fact that in two weeks we can start talking about how teams look at Spring Practice instead of who is transferring in or out.

Until then any other transfer news out there? 

Great news on Kyle Anderton-anyone else getting offers or being recruited?

Anyone know the Thursday Night Light schedule?