Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

BigPurpleMachine and KWC

Many do see Whitehaven as the “Hoodâ€. I hope Milan mindset as changed. In 2001 we hosted Milan in the playoff qtrs. at Whitehaven. The Monday prior to the game the principal called me and asked if we would move the game to Milan for a nice paycheck. I quickly told him no. That practice is common and I understand why. But the thing that offended me was that he calls our MIAA director concerned about the safety of their fans in Whitehaven. When Mr. Weedon contacted me I had to laugh. The game was played and everyone was safe. We won but Rod Smith put on a show. What is funny is the next year we went to Milan and someone broke into my car....LOL. Whitehaven is a safe place. I live there and my church is there also.

BigPurpleMachine and KWC

Many do see Whitehaven as the “Hoodâ€. I hope Milan mindset as changed. In 2001 we hosted Milan in the playoff qtrs. at Whitehaven. The Monday prior to the game the principal called me and asked if we would move the game to Milan for a nice paycheck. I quickly told him no. That practice is common and I understand why. But the thing that offended me was that he calls our MIAA director concerned about the safety of their fans in Whitehaven. When Mr. Weedon contacted me I had to laugh. The game was played and everyone was safe. We won but Rod Smith put on a show. What is funny is the next year we went to Milan and someone broke into my car....LOL. Whitehaven is a safe place. I live there and my church is there also.

I did not know that happened and I am sorry to hear it. I think that was low on the part of our principal.

For the record, I just want it noted that no where on these boards have I ever accused Whitehaven if being in the hood. Have nothing but respect for them as well as Mitchell.

On another note... Glad you remember Rod Smith. He was very young that year. Became a truly special player in high school and college. Would be in the NFL if he had not broken his neck in college.

KWC,

I think BHS has a good point; but I agree with were you are coming from. I have been in Memphis the last couple of days and talking to customers and everyone says that  Whitehaven is not a safe place watch a game to let alone play one. Seems that safety is the big concern. I was told you cant go to a game their without hearing gun fire.

I remember when I was there for the Mt Juliet game two years ago; the fans were great and friendly. There were a lot of police cruisers there and they did want the team out of there as fast as possible after the game.

I would love to see Mt Juliet play Da Haven again. That game two years ago was a heck of a game.  Hopefully this year.

BKisler:

I'm glad you chimed in on this. You came to mind when I was typing some of this stuff. Thats because you had no knowledge of Whitehaven as a community until you came to the stadium for a game. You experienced it first hand ... yet, that experience was cut short because your team was ushured out of the stadium after the game as if you guys were the President of the United States and the local police were the Sercret Service. I believe whole heartedly that your coaching staff would have loved to talk with the Whitehaven coaching staff afterwards and sort of milled around some to eat some of the Bar-B-Q that is cooked for the coahes at the west end of the stadium and just fellowship a little. I truely believe that an opportunity was missed. But ... the advice your people were given doesn't surprise me at all. It's the mentality that's prevelent in this area. Do you remember when you guys were going to come to Whitehaven and there was a thread started and some yahoo came on here making all kind of slurs and negative comments? Then you came and you were like ... this is nothing like I thought it would be. Well, what you saw is par for the course, it wasn't an abberation, yet the perception is the perception.

Keep the faith, that game may very well be played again!

Edited by kwc

I have never walked a mile in your shoes so I can't say if you are correct or not. I believe you probably are after talking to you and reading some of your posts. You seemed very informed as well as passionate and I really respect that about you.

I just don't know that it would be very accurate to stereotype all non-urban schools by thinking that the vast majority of them consider Whitehaven to be in the hood. But it is obvious that this is a problem with a lot of the schools that you deal with and I hate that.

Would love to have seen some of the past Milan teams in recent history play you guys. Don't know that we could have won but may have made it interesting. Much respect for your program.

BPM:

Thanks for comments. The sterrotype is real. It's NOT just Whitehaven that I'm speaking about though. Whitehaven is just one of MANY who fit our circumstances. An urban school in a big city that is predominently comprised of African American from student body to staff to administration. All of the schools in Memphis that fit that category are considered 'Hood' schools, and there is a stygma attached with it. It permeates everything about that school and how it is viewed. It affects the umpires and referees that participate in the process. It affects the coaches and the players and especially the parents that are to participate in that experience. You being a Milan supporter wouldn't know what it is to face this type of sterotyping, but those of us in Memphis are very familure with it. It's part of the fabric that exists. Not everyone on the opposing side gives in to the sterotyping, but it's there and it is real.

We, as a representative of a particular group of citizens of these United States, have to teach those who will be following our footsteps humility, respect, fair play, and love for our fellow man while staring this type of oppresive mentality down and not giving in to any of the negative feelings one may get when encountering it. We have to teach and incorporate self respect, dignity, intelligence, logic, and compassion when facing these types of negative thoughts and actions. It does no good to become combative and hateful even though it would be easy to do so.

I too think that Whitehaven vs Milan would have been some good games as well.

Edited by kwc

One of the best places I've ever watched a game was Orange Mound in the playoffs a few years ago. Incredible atmosphere, and I'd wager most other HC fans who made that trip would agree. Not sure why Ridgeway agreed to come to our place two years in a row, or even why we asked, but given the opponent, I know our fan base would be looking forward to that game regardless of where it is played.

Edited by MSURacer

Back to the Shelby Co. pre-season talk... Melrose will be dangerous this season if they have defense and solid QB play...

I would speak on the socioeconomic topic but I am Too Combative and would the risk of being put in CoachT jail smh...

I say it like it is. Teams are unwilling to RISK their reputation against our program... At one point, before the State Title was won, that could be used as a valid reason NOT to come to the 38116, but Now there is no excuse. Our program has the feather in the cap that PROVES we are worthy of Home and Home contracts only with ANYONE in the Mid-South. Olive Branch, USP, Henry Co. whoever from Arkansas should clamor for a game with Whitehaven.   :hungry:

Back to the Shelby Co. pre-season talk... Melrose will be dangerous this season if they have defense and solid QB play...

I would speak on the socioeconomic topic but I am Too Combative and would the risk of being put in CoachT jail smh...

I say it like it is. Teams are unwilling to RISK their reputation against our program... At one point, before the State Title was won, that could be used as a valid reason NOT to come to the 38116, but Now there is no excuse. Our program has the feather in the cap that PROVES we are worthy of Home and Home contracts only with ANYONE in the Mid-South. Olive Branch, USP, Henry Co. whoever from Arkansas should clamor for a game with Whitehaven.   :hungry:

Back to Shelby County pre-season talk indeed BHS.

District 16 is a handfull and then some. It's not just Melrose. Central is returning it's stud QB/Ath who gave us fits and they were stacked and deep last year. They've got that program rolling. East put a 'L' on us last year, and that game is always a dogfight. If I remember correctly, they were young last year like we were. Lest any Whitehaven folk forget ... Overton wasn't a cakewalk. Let's not forget last year's 6A semi-finalist White Station. They will be under their 2nd year under that coach.

Last year in District 16 there was only one cake walk game out of the 6 district games we played, and that was Hamilton. I haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe anything different for the up and coming season concerning Hamilton. However, I remember first hand how strong and deep the rest of District 16 was last year. District 16 is one of the strongest districts in the state, comparable to any other district whether it's D-I or D-II. All of the teams that make it out of district play this season will be contenders in both 5A and 6A.

5A:

Last year East was the best that District 16 had to offer. Their defense was stellar, even though they were young. They had power and speed with some guys that were sure tacklers. They didn't try to overwhelm you with pizzaz or flair. They were meat and potatoes and they were good at it. Like all Memphis East teams from times past, they would lay the wood to you when given the opportunity. I'm really looking forward to the Whitehaven vs East game. If I remember correctly, they lost their starting QB early ion the season last year and still they were hard nosed, competitive, and disciplined. In my mind they are the top 5A pre-season State title contenders coming out of Memphis.

Ridgeway's QB was a beast last year. He shredded opposing team's secondaries like a warm knife cutting through room tempreture butter. He's had a year to mature and get bigger and stronger. Ridgeway's coach will play anybody anywhere. They already have to guys to verbal to be Red Wolves at Arkansas State next year. A top notch DE and a downhill running RB. If you haven't seen Ridgeway play, make sure you go watch if you get a chance. You won't regret it. Ridgeway's defense didn't always stop their opponents when facing adversity. Should their defense match their offense ... lookout. This is another pre-season 5A State title contender. Soime may say that Ridgeway is the top 5A stste title contender coming out of Memphis.

Melrose .., this team has so much potential and talent. Defense was just lacking. Depth was an issue. Won't know about them until the season get's underway. I know the staff will be building off of the championships that were won in 3A back in the 90's.

I don't believe anyone on here is stereotyping any school, players, coaches or staff, but yes probably guilty of stereotyping the areas and or communities. I feel that teams choosing not to come to play in parts of Memphis has nothing to do with most of the teams/players/coaches/fans of the schools, but more of the area in which some of the schools reside in. Whitehaven has proven time and time again that they run a top notch classy program. It's when you are leaving the premises or area that the chance of getting harassed or confronted by someone that has nothing to do with the school or maybe not even the community is highly likely. The percentage of this happening usually rises the longer the opponent hangs around, especially if they win.  This can happen anywhere as I witnessed first hand last year after the Millington/ Brighton game at Brighton High.  The fact is though that if you were honest with yourself and was told this kind of thing happened at a game last night and the only two games on the schedule were  Mt. Juilet @ Whitehaven & Milan@ Bartlett 90% would assume it happened at the MJ/WH game.

So I don't believe there is any disrespect to most Memphis programs but there are some areas that KWC, BHS, me, or anyone would not hang around on a friday night if given a choice to go somewhere else. NOTE::  If your not from the Shelby Co. area you probably don't know exactly where these boundaries may lie.. I really hope this isn't taken offensively by anyone JMO