Grundy County

If at all possible, for communities like Grundy County, along with countless others, it's often best to hire locally. If there is a worthy semi-local candidate, I believe that to be the best option besides of hiring from outside. I tend to believe that simply because they would have more pride and compassion for the school. That particular type of coaches "all" might just be a little more than the outsiders too. He would bleed for the school while working harder to accomplish his goals. Also, you generally don't have to worry about a local coach using your school as a stepping stone if they have any success.

"Distant fields of grass often look greener from the otherside, but if you take the time to water your own, it will be just as green".

I disagree, Marion county has went thru this before after ken colquitt left. Three local hires that were made almost destroyed the program because they either weren't ready to coach, or had no buisness running a program such as ours. I think you get the best coach you can get and if he leaves after three or four years and you are better off, then you build on that success and hire another good coach.

I disagree, Marion county has went thru this before after ken colquitt left. Three local hires that were made almost destroyed the program because they either weren't ready to coach, or had no buisness running a program such as ours. I think you get the best coach you can get and if he leaves after three or four years and you are better off, then you build on that success and hire another good coach.

It's different hiring someone to step in and keep a well oiled machine running at top capacity, than hiring someone to build that machine up. Somewhere in my post you must of lost where I said "worthy candidate". By you saying they weren't ready, or had no business, it sounds like the people MC hired wasn't worthy, and those were your words, not mine. If you have two seemingly equal coaches, one was born and raised 20 minutes from Altamont, while the other grew up 3 hours away, who do you hire? Maybe the second candidate has a slightly better resume. I think you still go with the local coach, even though he may have a few less wins or playoff appearances.

I count four local hires since Coach Colquette left. Which one was successful?

I count four local hires since Coach Colquette left. Which one was successful?

I think the way it's being described here "local" means went to the school, played for the school. So...After Colquette you had Brew who is part of the family because he's spent so much time here but not local in that term. He stepped down to allow Pic to return and work with him. Then Pickett returned. Hard to guage where that would have gone had he lived. Then Swafford who was from Bledsoe not Grundy and then Bryant. So technically only 2 local.

Other items-

Small town politics is here and everywhere else. It will be part of the battle forever.

No Evans has not put in for the job and won't. He's dedicated to rebuilding the softball program and putting in a lot of hard work for that.

As for the other applicants.....well I could say I've been asked to contact Jon Gruden and that would be true. I keep asking myself to do it but I just can't talk myself into it........

Edited by DelTavian

I think the way it's being described here "local" means went to the school, played for the school. So...After Colquette you had Brew who is part of the family because he's spent so much time here but not local in that term. He stepped down to allow Pic to return and work with him. Then Pickett returned. Hard to guage where that would have gone had he lived. Then Swafford who was from Bledsoe not Grundy and then Bryant. So technically only 2 local.

Other items-

Small town politics is here and everywhere else. It will be part of the battle forever.

No Evans has not put in for the job and won't. He's dedicated to rebuilding the softball program and putting in a lot of hard work for that.

As for the other applicants.....well I could say I've been asked to contact Jon Gruden and that would be true. I keep asking myself to do it but I just can't talk myself into it........

I was talking to TTP in reference to Marion coaches. Deltavian, tell us what schools some of the candidates are from.

I was talking to TTP in reference to Marion coaches. Deltavian, tell us what schools some of the candidates are from.

No.  B)  I don't know that anyone has actually turned in an application yet. When they turn one in and if it becomes public then so be it. I'm not selling folks down the river though. Only one can get the job. So the rest might want to keep the one they have if they don't. So I'm not giving up names from the outside. 

No. B) I don't know that anyone has actually turned in an application yet. When they turn one in and if it becomes public then so be it. I'm not selling folks down the river though. Only one can get the job. So the rest might want to keep the one they have if they don't. So I'm not giving up names from the outside.

Will you tell us if The Beaver applies? He hasn't appeared much since he accomplished his mission of helping get rid of Coach Bryant. He must be getting his resume and potential staff ready. Edited by TheAmbassador

Actually I'm not sure who Beaver is and I never have been. There are 2 or 3 local guys who I know will apply that are within our system and thus won't lose a job over the info being out that they will. 1. Casey Tate. He has been an assistant on the high school level here and just took the 8th grade team to an undefeated season. 2. Tommy Andrews (my brother) aka Scooby. He has 12 or 13 years of experience at the high school and coached under Pickett and Ladd, Brewer, Fritts, Colquette, Brewer, Pickett and Swafford. So he's seen the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm not sure at all about 3rd local who isn't employed in the system but he might apply. I know at least 2 of those 3 aren't Beaver. I don't know if Casey gets on here or not. I can think of 3-4 people who might be Beaver and none of them are teachers/coaches. 

The only person who actually knows who all posters are is CoachT. I don't know who you are Ambassador. I don't know a lot of folks behind the screen names because most don't do what I do and post my name on here regular.

I'm David Lowrie and I approved this message.....