2014 Class 4A Coaches Poll

AllRegion

I'm not a Catholic fan by any means, but we're gonna approach this the same way as when people call us out for recruiting (not open zone, but recruiting): names or it never happened. If you give details, I'm sure QSouth89 or IrishBBall will have that coach disciplined/fired.

Alcoa Basketball  you are exactly right! There is too much at risk for everyone of these schools to cheat. I think we all (Catholic, Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton, CAK, Bearden, OR, Pigeon Forge, etc.) have coaches that understand the rules but more importantly know how to "play" by the rules in place. I've coached kids from everyone of these schools and have not had any conversations with the kids or the parents that I would deem illegal from their school selection standpoint (and I have specifically asked). I think that other parents are much more influential on school choices. Most of these kids in the Knoxville area have grown up playing with or against all the better athletes in every sport. The AAU basketball teams, travel baseball teams and youth football teams are the perfect spot for trying to unite or steer these kids to one school. What parent doesn't want to surround their kid with the best possible teammates if they can play? You're going to get a lot more recognition if you are competing for titles. I know that Coach Fulmer was a very strong advocate for football players going to Maryville and led several kids to attend that were out of zone.

• Upvote 1

Bottom line is Catholic should be in 5A, but because of a awful ruling by the TSSAA they get to play 4A. With the multiplier they have over 1200 students. They are a private school playing public ball without a true 1.8 multiplier. It shouldn't matter if a multiplier moves a private school up 2 classes, the multiplier was put in for a reason and should be enforced. 

It's not an awful ruling....it is the way the rule was established. Catholic certainly didn't  go running back to the TSSAA to get any kind of special treatment. We should have never been in 5A to start with.

Alcoa Basketball you are exactly right! There is too much at risk for everyone of these schools to cheat. I think we all (Catholic, Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton, CAK, Bearden, OR, Pigeon Forge, etc.) have coaches that understand the rules but more importantly know how to "play" by the rules in place. I've coached kids from everyone of these schools and have not had any conversations with the kids or the parents that I would deem illegal from their school selection standpoint (and I have specifically asked). I think that other parents are much more influential on school choices. Most of these kids in the Knoxville area have grown up playing with or against all the better athletes in every sport. The AAU basketball teams, travel baseball teams and youth football teams are the perfect spot for trying to unite or steer these kids to one school. What parent doesn't want to surround their kid with the best possible teammates if they can play? You're going to get a lot more recognition if you are competing for titles. I know that Coach Fulmer was a very strong advocate for football players going to Maryville and led several kids to attend that were out of zone.

Yes, yes, and YES! These people can't hate a school for "playing" the rules because what we do is completely legal. If I wanted my child (if I had one) to get noticed, I would definitely send him somewhere that city/county politics wouldn't interfere so much with playing time. And nothing drives me crazier than when other schools go holier-than-thou and say that they win the "right way" but since one of their players transferred to our school we must have recruited him. Some people....

It's not an awful ruling....it is the way the rule was established. Catholic certainly didn't go running back to the TSSAA to get any kind of special treatment. We should have never been in 5A to start with.

Playing in division 1 without a true 1.8 multiplier sounds like pretty special treatment to me. I bet CPA would love to have that and be able to play in 2A and not have to worry about Alcoa. You all were in 5A where you belong.

You are risking being banned from the site. Enough.

I see you think you found someone that you can try to bully.

You are not going to ban anyone here, If you want to hate on all the open zone and private schools for being what they are, (like you have in close to 12,000of your posts) then so be it, but don't even think of trying to show your horns to one of ours that has crossed no line. Or you may be the the one that has his moderating privileges extinguished.

Sir.

• Upvote 1

I see you think you found someone that you can try to bully.

You are not going to ban anyone here, If you want to hate on all the open zone and private schools for being what they are, (like you have in close to 12,000of your posts) then so be it, but don't even think of trying to show your horns to one of ours that has crossed no line. Or you may be the the one that has his moderating privileges extinguished.

Sir.

He's great at expressing his opinion, but not so much with facts. And is it just me or is his screen name kind of offensive? LOL

Edited by AlcoaBasketball