2014 9AAA

eers

I've probably been to 15 or 20 games at the Wave Yard through the years, always sitting on the visitor's side rooting against Gallatin.  At every one of those games I either walked out of there with my tail between my legs because my team had gotten its butt kicked or elated because I knew my team had just beaten a really good team.  For the first time ever Friday night, I walked out after the game feeling that my team had not really been tested.  I feel for the Gallatin faithful and can certainly understand how frustrating injuries can be after Beech's season last year.  9AAA is just not the same when Gallatin isn't Gallatin.  My hope is for a speedy recovery for all. 

I'm sorry but 5-5 just still is so extremely mediocre coming from this program, especially considering there is a lot of talent on it. (All those undefeated Rucker teams)

HHS will get another loaded freshmen class next year. Hawkins Middle has got some size in the trenches (they're not just big ole slow boys either) with some speed in the skilled positions. Throw in a few good ones from Ellis and I can see the Freshmen for HHS next year going undefeated. 

That's if they even do go 5-5 with some good talent.

I think 5-5 would be a good turn at this point..  I'm really thinking 4-6 or 3-7 are real possibilities.

Let me say that when I said changes need to be made, I wasn't saying the coaching staff needs to go, they need to change though.  The entire thing needs to change, from the top down.  There is something broken, because there is talent there.  That said, I will be the first to admit they surprised me last year.  I think they played over their head at the end of the year and may have set expectations that just can't be met. 

Regardless, good luck to Gallatin and all of 9AAA.

Sumner County > Williamson County?

I'm sorry but 5-5 just still is so extremely mediocre coming from this program, especially considering there is a lot of talent on it. (All those undefeated Rucker teams)

If I am not mistaken, Rucker lost 1 3 years ago, went undefeated 2 years ago and lost 1 last year. That is this years Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors. The senior class was winless in 8th grade. looking at the roster Friday, I saw 8-10 sophomores, 2 or 3 juniors, and 10 or 12 seniors starting. When you have that many starters that are sophomores in 5A, you are gonna struggle.

If I am not mistaken, Rucker lost 1 3 years ago, went undefeated 2 years ago and lost 1 last year. That is this years Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors. The senior class was winless in 8th grade. looking at the roster Friday, I saw 8-10 sophomores, 2 or 3 juniors, and 10 or 12 seniors starting. When you have that many starters that are sophomores in 5A, you are gonna struggle.

While I'll not disagree with the statement about playing sophomores, I will say success at the middle school level doesn't translate to wins at the HS level.  I have watched several Rucker games over the last few years and even though they won, they were undisciplined and playing to win.  Let me clarify "playing to win"... not being taught the nuances of disciplined, assignment football.  Loading up 11 in the box because you know the opponent can't throw, blitzing every play (basically a punt block formation) wins games in Middle School, when you have better athletes.  The flip side of that is it hurts those same kids when the other teams athletes finally catch up and they were taught a system early on...

• Upvote 1

I don't put a lot of stock in great middle school teams translating to great high school teams.  While I'd rather have a good MS team than an bad one, there are just too many variables to take into consideration.  Some kids who are monsters physically as 8th graders never get any bigger, some kids reach their athletic peak earlier, some kids move/tansfer, some kids lose interest in the sport, some kids transfer in, etc.  In Beech's case, the coaching at Huner Middle is so bad it's hard to tell what you will get coming out of there.

I don't put a lot of stock in great middle school teams translating to great high school teams. While I'd rather have a good MS team than an bad one, there are just too many variables to take into consideration. Some kids who are monsters physically as 8th graders never get any bigger, some kids reach their athletic peak earlier, some kids move/tansfer, some kids lose interest in the sport, some kids transfer in, etc. In Beech's case, the coaching at Huner Middle is so bad it's hard to tell what you will get coming out of there.

I completely agree. I can't comment on the Hunter part though. Don't know that team very well.

Yeah not sure about the whole middle school to high school translation. Currently MJ is undefeated on every team from middle, JV, and varsity. We had the same deal last year, and as we are much improved, we could still lose 3-4 games. Thanks to transfers, quitters, injuries, etc. It makes it difficult to be as successful at varsity level.

Edited by MJGOLDENBEARS

Yeah not sure about the whole middle school to high school translation. Currently MJ is undefeated on every team from middle, JV, and varsity. We had the same deal last year, and as we are much improved, we could still lose 3-4 games. Thanks to transfers, quitters, injuries, etc. It makes it difficult to be as successful at varsity level.

That's the amazing thing about Maryville; they get everyone to come out for football and buy into the program. I can't ever remember hearing of someone quitting.

I am amazed at the young men I have seen at MJ and think if only the Bears had everyone come out to play ball and buy into the system. I am sure it is the same at all of the schools in 9AAA.

Well Gallatin has had injuries in the past and could still have enough good backups and toughness that they would still prevail and be a tough football team. Lately they are losing to mediocre teams and letting good teams beat them badly, which just shouldn't happen at a football program like that. I can almost guarantee you that in these last 3 seasons of not coaching, Lassiter would not have lost to Portland 2 years ago, & TC last year. Thats just unacceptable

Edited by thegreatone36