Alcoa @ Maryville

SweetScience

I knew GQ was a class act, but even more respect after seeing his post game interview. I think Alcoa is a really good team, but mairvul is on a different level from everyone else

No question about it, GQ is both a great coach and class act although I had to laugh when he said at end of interview he hopes Maryville can go over to West next week and compete with them. Something tells me he wouldn't be thrilled with a competitive 24-21 loss. 😄

Maryville will dog stomp West unless something crazy happens. I'm calling ALOT to a little. West couldn't beat Alcoa so they're not ready for MHS. Little surprise to see Maryville run away with it... Things will be fine Tornado fans with that schedule you got you will win out by 30+ each week. Well until week 10 and it's possible you could win that one going away....... If Sevier Co can only muster 35 against Bearden then they will get rolled by Maryville.

I have said it for years... if you can only run the ball without effectively throwing it then Maryville will beat you.  Alcoa basically refused to throw the football, as Rankin always does, and Gaylor stuffed the box and the boys shut the Tornadoes down.  If an opposing team can run a balanced offense then I think they will actually be able to put up some points on our stingy defense. 

I have said it for years... if you can only run the ball without effectively throwing it then Maryville will beat you.  Alcoa basically refused to throw the football, as Rankin always does, and Gaylor stuffed the box and the boys shut the Tornadoes down.  If an opposing team can run a balanced offense then I think they will actually be able to put up some points on our stingy defense. 

This I believe this might be the best Maryville team that I've seen since I became a fan in 2000. I worry about 2015 when Maryville graduates their whole defense(I believe).

I thought we would win 28-14. Biggest problem I was worried about was our QB throwing into traffic and getting intercepted which did happen but we got one of them right back on the same play which was unbelievable. The kid has speed which everyone saw when it looked like he was going down for a major loss and outrun everyone for a first down. Just has to work on the throwing for Maryville to have any chance again for the state. Also want to say Coach Rankin did the right thing when it was over and Maryville had their younger players in and he followed along and did the same thing. So many teams I see game after game have their starters in to the very last play against Maryville's third or fourth string trying to get some points on the board at the cost of not letting their younger players get some experience for the next year. It's great to play against a coach with class.