Alcoa @ Maryville

SweetScience

This years D looked fine. Improved dramatically against Alcoa.  I was interested to see how much they improved from Webb to Alcoa. Definitely improved. Holding Tyson to 31 yds was very big. I think Alcoa found a good QB in Soph Jaylen Myers.

Yes Alcoa was too one dimensional against Maryville and you just can't do that against a defense like Maryville has this year. So, they just loaded the box and said bring it on and that was all she wrote.

Yes Alcoa was too one dimensional against Maryville and you just can't do that against a defense like Maryville has this year. So, they just loaded the box and said bring it on and that was all she wrote.

MHS at times was unable to do that in the past. But MHS speed was better than I have seen in years and could handle the Alcoa receivers one on one. 

What those teams have done is nothing compared to what both Maryville and Alcoa have done for the past 15+ years. Not even close.

I'm not talking about what they have done- I'm talking about what is happening right now. Of course- as the season unfolds those two teams could prove to be better.. But I doubt that they will prove to be better than Fulton THIS YEAR -- I

Am not talking about for all time..

Yeah we handled them pretty good in 2007 and they went to state that year, but lost to Lipscomb in the Finals.

Yeah we lost cause we had those god awful throwback uniforms on lol. And anyone knows if you are going to get Fulton you have a better chance if it's early in the season. We always improve but I think that's one thing Black does better than Coatney. He has these boys ready to play from week 0. I just hate that oak ridge didn't play us rogan's senior year I know Alcoa fans remember that one. probably one of the best high school comebacks I've ever seen. But I would venture to say we are the best Knox co. School since 2000

Well another year of this series is in the book.  Haven't seen a beat down like that in awhile.  Alcoa is far away from normal.  One thing that gets under my skin is excusses. 

Rankin said. “We’ve got the kids fighting their (rears) off in 90-degree heat. And they’ve got kids going one way. It’s hard, boys. Anybody that thinks it’s not, come try it. …

“I’ve asked for this game later in the year many times, but our A.D. (Josh Stephens) hasn’t made it happen. Does the heat help Alcoa? When would you like to have it? I’d like for it to be snowing. That wouldn’t have a big effect on the game, but playing in this heat is brutal.â€

It is Rankin that also braggs about having 90 kids out for his teams.  Then why not develop a few kids or just give them a opportuinity to step up so he don't have to have kids play both ways?  Think the heat is only effecting his team?  Maybe conditioning, prep and hydration might work for his team, just saying.  Alcoa seemed not very well displined as compaired to other years.  Looked like a Reed team. 

Playing Maryville Late in the year Coach?  You really want that??  Alcoa's best chance to even stay on the field with a GQ coached team is in the first game of the year. Late in the year Rankin will have the same kids going both ways and GQ will have another platoon of players developed and contributing.  Maryville would really issue a beat down toward the end of any season vs alcoa. 

Then it is some how the officals fault.  I thought the crew did a good job.  Not the best but in no way did any of those calls effect the game.  Alcoa's 70 & 73 talked trash while getting shoved off the ball all night.  When your getting dominated keep your mouth shut is my thought. 

I do think Alcoa has a bright spot at QB and that will help them down the road.  Good luck.      

I watched St Edwards ( Cleveland ranked 10th nationally ) beat down Gilman ( Baltimore traditional Md power ) yesterday on espn and it reminded me of the Maryville - Alcoa game. I don't know if anyone watched it but watching St Edwards play reminded me of Maryville. Very disciplined team that made few mistakes and went about their business . They beat an athlete loaded Gilman team 38-7. Just picked them to pieces with great defense - a good game plan and an offense that made few mistakes. When Trinity Ky won the national title in 2011 I saw them play at BA and they had that same way about them. I can't really explain it .. There was a calmness about them ... We are here to get the job done and get out of dodge ...Great teams usually have those characteristics. It's fun to watch unless you are on the other sidelines .

Well another year of this series is in the book. Haven't seen a beat down like that in awhile. Alcoa is far away from normal. One thing that gets under my skin is excusses.

Rankin said. “We’ve got the kids fighting their (rears) off in 90-degree heat. And they’ve got kids going one way. It’s hard, boys. Anybody that thinks it’s not, come try it. …

“I’ve asked for this game later in the year many times, but our A.D. (Josh Stephens) hasn’t made it happen. Does the heat help Alcoa? When would you like to have it? I’d like for it to be snowing. That wouldn’t have a big effect on the game, but playing in this heat is brutal.â€

It is Rankin that also braggs about having 90 kids out for his teams. Then why not develop a few kids or just give them a opportuinity to step up so he don't have to have kids play both ways? Think the heat is only effecting his team? Maybe conditioning, prep and hydration might work for his team, just saying. Alcoa seemed not very well displined as compaired to other years. Looked like a Reed team.

Playing Maryville Late in the year Coach? You really want that?? Alcoa's best chance to even stay on the field with a GQ coached team is in the first game of the year. Late in the year Rankin will have the same kids going both ways and GQ will have another platoon of players developed and contributing. Maryville would really issue a beat down toward the end of any season vs alcoa.

Then it is some how the officals fault. I thought the crew did a good job. Not the best but in no way did any of those calls effect the game. Alcoa's 70 & 73 talked trash while getting shoved off the ball all night. When your getting dominated keep your mouth shut is my thought.

I do think Alcoa has a bright spot at QB and that will help them down the road. Good luck.

Well another year of this series is in the book. Haven't seen a beat down like that in awhile. Alcoa is far away from normal. One thing that gets under my skin is excusses.

It is Rankin that also braggs about having 90 kids out for his teams. Then why not develop a few kids or just give them a opportuinity to step up so he don't have to have kids play both ways? Think the heat is only effecting his team? Maybe conditioning, prep and hydration might work for his team, just saying. Alcoa seemed not very well displined as compaired to other years. Looked like a Reed team.

Playing Maryville Late in the year Coach? You really want that?? Alcoa's best chance to even stay on the field with a GQ coached team is in the first game of the year. Late in the year Rankin will have the same kids going both ways and GQ will have another platoon of players developed and contributing. Maryville would really issue a beat down toward the end of any season vs alcoa.

Then it is some how the officals fault. I thought the crew did a good job. Not the best but in no way did any of those calls effect the game. Alcoa's 70 & 73 talked trash while getting shoved off the ball all night. When your getting dominated keep your mouth shut is my thought.

I do think Alcoa has a bright spot at QB and that will help them down the road. Good luck.

My thought on the excuse of players going both ways in the heat-they had already played 2 games in one week. The heat didn't bother them because the 2's and 3's were in by halftime. Could Maryville have just been the better team Friday night.