CAK at Powell

Govolsknox

Yeah those will all be very tough games. Seems CAK hasn't recovered yet from the Charlie High, Josh Smith etc days. Those kind of kids are very hard to replace. Not sure what they have coming up in the next few years.

Smiths brother Cole is the QB soph that is very good. Austin Pope JR transfer from Sevier County will be all over the field, not many answers for him he was a beast for the Smoky Bears but he missed a lot of the season with an injury. From looking at the 1st CAK game he must be back at 100%. I predict about 15 tackles and 2-4 TDs a night from him.

Smiths brother Cole is the QB soph that is very good. Austin Pope JR transfer from Sevier County will be all over the field, not many answers for him he was a beast for the Smoky Bears but he missed a lot of the season with an injury. From looking at the 1st CAK game he must be back at 100%. I predict about 15 tackles and 2-4 TDs a night from him.

Cole is not Josh's brother (Josh is the youngest in his family); if they're related at all it's only distantly; Cole's cousin played for Grace.  Austin Pope looked really good in his Warrior debut, and you might very well be on target with the TD's per game prediction; he won't play much defense unless the Warriors just desperately need a defensive stop.  Coach Bradley is notorious for playing guys just one way unless he's in a desperate situation.

How is CAK supposed to be this year GVK?

The senior class is very small with only around 7 players I believe. As I understand it, the majority of the talent is at the freshman and sophomore level. But there is definitely some talent. Depth is always an issue and injuries would be devastating. The 6-5 205 WR from Sevier appears to be as good on the field as he looks in uniform. As usual, CRB's scheme will give fits to all but the best teams on the schedule. We'll see how this team matures on the field. I could see anywhere from 2-5 losses, depending on just how well this team comes together. Right now, the Warriors seriously have to worry about a much larger school in Powell. Powell won this one last year with a "controversial" call. Should be a good match up. 

The senior class is very small with only around 7 players I believe. As I understand it, the majority of the talent is at the freshman and sophomore level. But there is definitely some talent. Depth is always an issue and injuries would be devastating. The 6-5 205 WR from Sevier appears to be as good on the field as he looks in uniform. As usual, CRB's scheme will give fits to all but the best teams on the schedule. We'll see how this team matures on the field. I could see anywhere from 2-5 losses, depending on just how well this team comes together. Right now, the Warriors seriously have to worry about a much larger school in Powell. Powell won this one last year with a "controversial" call. Should be a good match up. 

Yeah I look for the Warriors to be back up to par the next few years. They beat Robertsville in OT last year. Was Robertsville's only loss last year and they were loaded, so I am sure CAK must have been, too. Good luck my fellow OR alma mater :thumb:

Yeah I look for the Warriors to be back up to par the next few years. They beat Robertsville in OT last year. Was Robertsville's only loss last year and they were loaded, so I am sure CAK must have been, too. Good luck my fellow OR alma mater :thumb:

So in 3-4 years you both will be playing for state championships! Congrats to you both!

Thank you my friend. I'll be around at at some of the OR games as well.

Yes, the sophomore QB at CAK is legit. And there is a lot of young talent that will be coming up with him as he matures. As always at a small school, we just have to hope that we have enough size on the lines to compete with the best in our league. In order to have a chance to get past Alcoa, you have to have the horses to really have a shot to compete against anyone in any D1 class, and that is a tall order for a 3A school. Otherwise, a good season is getting knocked off in round 2 or 3. We have plenty of experience with that happening I believe 5 years in a row to Alcoa, and only ever getting past them twice. Of course, both times we did, we went on to win State Championships. But I am not writing off this season by any stretch.

Should be fun to watch. I do think Powell is being underestimated in this game. While they are not what they were a few years ago, they are still a handful for a 3A school.

Should be fun to watch. I do think Powell is being underestimated in this game. While they are not what they were a few years ago, they are still a handful for a 3A school.

I think you're right that Powell will be a handful for us.  They are going to have much more size on the line on both sides of the ball than we had to contend with against FRA; the OL/RB gave up 3 sacks against FRA in spite of the Warriors' advantage in size and depth; they will have to provide better pass protection against a Powell defensive front that is likely to be better than FRA's.  If they can provide good protection for the QB, CAK's offense should be able to put up some points.

Then it's just a matter of the defense making some stops.  Although the Warriors have historically not been stellar against Wing-T offenses, Powell is new to that system so there's probably still a learning curve in execution.  Also, CAK's defensive front is more experienced than this time last year.  And I can't help but think that Powell's coach is helping us by running a Wing-T instead of an offense that might be more suitable to the line size and RB speed that Powell typically has.  Am I the only one baffled as to why a coach would run a Wing-T at a school that typically has some big strong boys on the OL and some strong, quick RB's perfectly suited for a power run game?

I think you're right that Powell will be a handful for us. They are going to have much more size on the line on both sides of the ball than we had to contend with against FRA; the OL/RB gave up 3 sacks against FRA in spite of the Warriors' advantage in size and depth; they will have to provide better pass protection against a Powell defensive front that is likely to be better than FRA's. If they can provide good protection for the QB, CAK's offense should be able to put up some points.

Then it's just a matter of the defense making some stops. Although the Warriors have historically not been stellar against Wing-T offenses, Powell is new to that system so there's probably still a learning curve in execution. Also, CAK's defensive front is more experienced than this time last year. And I can't help but think that Powell's coach is helping us by running a Wing-T instead of an offense that might be more suitable to the line size and RB speed that Powell typically has. Am I the only one baffled as to why a coach would run a Wing-T at a school that typically has some big strong boys on the OL and some strong, quick RB's perfectly suited for a power run game?

Just my opinion, but I don't think Allen knows how to run any other offensive system. They ran the spread in the spring, until the offensive coordinator was run off. The wing T was quickly implemented after that.