GREENBACK @ GCA

orngnblk

Have to contain with the ends and tackle everything.

Defensively, that's what's so frustrating about the single wing, you have 3 or 4 guys in the backfield that could have the ball. They had to shuffle people around, now we've got a kid running it that can throw out of it too. It's like watching old Johnny Majors highlights. A blast from the past.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defensively, that's what's so frustrating about the single wing, you have 3 or 4 guys in the backfield that could have the ball. They had to shuffle people around, now we've got a kid running it that can throw out of it too. It's like watching old Johnny Majors highlights. A blast from the past.

He has to be able to throw,run and kick.The quick kick is a big role player in that offense to.If you know how to defend it you can stop it if not you will get steam rolled!

Our MS is like averaging 11 win seasons over the last 10 seasons or so.  Rely on the rareness of the single wing....usually solid defenses....and believe it or not, an obsession with the onside kick.  Since Sexton has been there I can probably count on one hand the # of kick-offs the team has sent deep.  Their recovery rate (this is strictly a guess) is close to 60%.  Do the math, 6 out of 10 times your going to get the ball back after just scoring.  Now your defense has to go right back out there and find the ball again.  Leaves coaches no time to make many adjustments until halftime.  It is beyond quirky.....but I got to confess, it does work more than you would think....even with teams that prepare for it.

Kazanity

Hey y'all I have been on the mountain scouting and fishing so I was out of cell range. I can say I am the bridge between GCA and GB since I have played under bill Satterfied and coach McKamey and wrestled for coach ridge. (We did have a wrestling team when he was here btw) that being said I will always hold a grudge agains the keys for ending my senior year in the playoffs. Anyway I think this will be a good game with GCA winning by 2tds. I'm excited for Friday!!

Edited by Raven52

jake you are a very intuiative person!This post is correct in all aspects.He did coach for Grace under the coach who instilled the winning tradition and GB and also at GCA.They really did not mesh to well,his plans were the same at GCA but that was never going to happen and they parted ways.He coached here as you know but after 2012 if he couldnt get that team to Cookeville he knew he could never do it and so did we.That was the most tallented team we have put on the field since 1987.We were not prepared for the Cfield game whether we were the best team or not.They came in here and whipped us.This was the same every yr under his reign lost games we should have never lost.He used those two yrs to his advantage and kudos to him,he has what he wants for now.pride some were behind him and some were behind him waving as he left,you never heard us whinning because he left.Now lets get back to this game!

jake you are a very intuiative person!This post is correct in all aspects.He did coach for Grace under the coach who instilled the winning tradition and GB and also at GCA.They really did not mesh to well,his plans were the same at GCA but that was never going to happen and they parted ways.He coached here as you know but after 2012 if he couldnt get that team to Cookeville he knew he could never do it and so did we.That was the most tallented team we have put on the field since 1987.We were not prepared for the Cfield game whether we were the best team or not.They came in here and whipped us.This was the same every yr under his reign lost games we should have never lost.He used those two yrs to his advantage and kudos to him,he has what he wants for now.pride some were behind him and some were behind him waving as he left,you never heard us whinning because he left.Now lets get back to this game!

She either like it or didnt i guess.No comment??????

OnB don't forget about the 92 & 93 teams under Coach Satterfield. This was before the GCA years. The 92 team had a couple of players go on to play at the College level. They beat Oneida that year only to lose to them in the playoffs. Oneida rolled on to win Class A in the 3 class alignment. This was the last year before going to a 5 or 6 class system. Too far back to remember all the little details. That was a close game if I remember correctly and with the win GB would more than likely have another Gold ball in the trophy case. That team fielded Ryan, Johnson, Satterfield, Little, Millsaps just to name a few. The following year just ask BGA how good the 93 team was! Came back to beat them after a 21-0 deficit at the half in the playoffs only to lose by Trousdale the following week in round 3 by 1 point due to a break down on defense in the last seconds of game. GB gave up a 2 pt. conversion costing us the game. Trousdale rolled over SP and went on to win the Gold ball. Those were 2 very good GB teams back to back with many an all stater on them. Talent across the team. The 93 team fielded Satterfield, Willis, Cope, Reagan, Hammontree, Brooks, Franklin, the Lung brothers, McCarter (current GB DC), Dixon, Lail (deceased and beloved by the team), Beaver boys, etc. this list goes on and on. They could have and should have brought home the Gold hardware as well. The Satterfield OC years and McCollum DC years with Coach Carpenter and Coach Hudson were some great seasons. Nobody beat us due to coaching and when they had the talent they made the best of it no matter what. Great lines in those years, great QBs and we could run and throw whichever was needed. These teams also played great defensive schemes and were always prepared. If we put the points up we won because the defense gave up little. This staff was known for the expected perfection. There was a lot of screaming and chewing and motivating going on. The players would get so mad and tear somebody's head off, but love them the following week after they forgot about the but chewing. It was a love hate relationship, but necessary to get to where they wanted to be. Ever since 87 GB has been a playoff contender more years than not, but just can't seem to put it all together to get back there. Here's hoping the stars align and we can get it right this year. We have no room for error and need to pull out all the stops.

OnB don't forget about the 92 & 93 teams under Coach Satterfield. This was before the GCA years. The 92 team had a couple of players go on to play at the College level. They beat Oneida that year only to lose to them in the playoffs. Oneida rolled on to win Class A in the 3 class alignment. This was the last year before going to a 5 or 6 class system. Too far back to remember all the little details. That was a close game if I remember correctly and with the win GB would more than likely have another Gold ball in the trophy case. That team fielded Ryan, Johnson, Satterfield, Little, Millsaps just to name a few. The following year just ask BGA how good the 93 team was! Came back to beat them after a 21-0 deficit at the half in the playoffs only to lose by Trousdale the following week in round 3 by 1 point due to a break down on defense in the last seconds of game. GB gave up a 2 pt. conversion costing us the game. Trousdale rolled over SP and went on to win the Gold ball. Those were 2 very good GB teams back to back with many an all stater on them. Talent across the team. The 93 team fielded Satterfield, Willis, Cope, Reagan, Hammontree, Brooks, Franklin, the Lung brothers, McCarter (current GB DC), Dixon, Lail (deceased and beloved by the team), Beaver boys, etc. this list goes on and on. They could have and should have brought home the Gold hardware as well. The Satterfield OC years and McCollum DC years with Coach Carpenter and Coach Hudson were some great seasons. Nobody beat us due to coaching and when they had the talent they made the best of it no matter what. Great lines in those years, great QBs and we could run and throw whichever was needed. These teams also played great defensive schemes and were always prepared. If we put the points up we won because the defense gave up little. This staff was known for the expected perfection. There was a lot of screaming and chewing and motivating going on. The players would get so mad and tear somebody's head off, but love them the following week after they forgot about the but chewing. It was a love hate relationship, but necessary to get to where they wanted to be. Ever since 87 GB has been a playoff contender more years than not, but just can't seem to put it all together to get back there. Here's hoping the stars align and we can get it right this year. We have no room for error and need to pull out all the stops.

Great post!Coaching was never the problem back in those days,there wasnt any egos to feed.The three class alignment in my mind was the toughest road to Nashville.You are correct those were some very good teams also.The team that lost to Oneida if i remember correctly at the endof the game GB was well within scoring distance and Ryan threw a int that ended the game.That team had the tallant to win it all also.I guess it would be fair to rank the two early 92 and 93 yrs teams ahead of the 2012 because the overall team play was better.Hard to remember all the good teams that GB has put out over the yrs,we have played some good football for sucb a small school!Thx for posting this brought back some great football memories. Edited by orngnblk

Ummm, the only loss Oneida had in 1992 was to Livingston Academy.