GREENBACK @ GCA

orngnblk

OnB don't forget about the 92 & 93 teams under Coach Satterfield. This was before the GCA years. The 92 team had a couple of players go on to play at the College level. They beat Oneida that year only to lose to them in the playoffs. Oneida rolled on to win Class A in the 3 class alignment. This was the last year before going to a 5 or 6 class system. Too far back to remember all the little details. That was a close game if I remember correctly and with the win GB would more than likely have another Gold ball in the trophy case. That team fielded Ryan, Johnson, Satterfield, Little, Millsaps just to name a few. The following year just ask BGA how good the 93 team was! Came back to beat them after a 21-0 deficit at the half in the playoffs only to lose by Trousdale the following week in round 3 by 1 point due to a break down on defense in the last seconds of game. GB gave up a 2 pt. conversion costing us the game. Trousdale rolled over SP and went on to win the Gold ball. Those were 2 very good GB teams back to back with many an all stater on them. Talent across the team. The 93 team fielded Satterfield, Willis, Cope, Reagan, Hammontree, Brooks, Franklin, the Lung brothers, McCarter (current GB DC), Dixon, Lail (deceased and beloved by the team), Beaver boys, etc. this list goes on and on. They could have and should have brought home the Gold hardware as well. The Satterfield OC years and McCollum DC years with Coach Carpenter and Coach Hudson were some great seasons. Nobody beat us due to coaching and when they had the talent they made the best of it no matter what. Great lines in those years, great QBs and we could run and throw whichever was needed. These teams also played great defensive schemes and were always prepared. If we put the points up we won because the defense gave up little. This staff was known for the expected perfection. There was a lot of screaming and chewing and motivating going on. The players would get so mad and tear somebody's head off, but love them the following week after they forgot about the but chewing. It was a love hate relationship, but necessary to get to where they wanted to be. Ever since 87 GB has been a playoff contender more years than not, but just can't seem to put it all together to get back there. Here's hoping the stars align and we can get it right this year. We have no room for error and need to pull out all the stops.

Heck...the '91 team can even be thrown in the mix as well.  Losing to Franklin Road Academy in the quarterfinals at home 8-6, man what a leg that FRA kicker had.  FRA went on to win the State Championship beating Peabody as well.  Those three years('91-'93), guess it can be said that we were somewhat a good luck charm to the three that put us out of the playoffs...and getting beat by a total of 8 points over that time(FRA of course 8-6, Trousdale Co. 15-14, and then Oneida 17-12).

In my opinion, since '87 we've had 5 or maybe more teams that could of/should of had Gold/Silver balls in the trophy case.

The prep/practices have changed since then as well...it has gone from taking up a few months to being a year round thing,  I bet if you were to ask any of the lineman on the team now what the board is...would result in many blank stares(Bet OnB has some 'great' memories of that piece of lumber).  As a kid I loved watching that drill, cause the coach would get frustrated with some of players techniques and end up going against a few of them to get his point across.

And I hope maybe this will be the year to get that quarterfinal monkey, so to speak, off our back...22 years has been long enough.

Edited by cherokean

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O&B, I thought she may be your wife or something.lol. She brings up some very valid points.

TM you were fastly becoming one of my favorite reads on here(crow,kaz,pujo,uknowit,KING etc)but you just went back to the bottom of the heap!LOL.Well im glad LK straightened you out.This thread has finally came alive.pride you are correct as far as the word "Tradition" is used.I used it to loosely,tradition is GB,Oneida,Coalfield,SPitt,Trousdale these type teams.Coach Satterfield was teaching a new program that didnt knkw how to win how to be winners and he was well on his way of doing that.When he left they were on their way up,you have to give him that much.I high school ball playoffs is what matters,wins are great but getti g to the post season is where you are judged.The way GCA has built their winning style is quite tarnished like it or not(and i dont want to turn this thread into that so this is all i will comment on that issue).They are a force every year now,and we all would like to beat them.I hope this game can be "one of those good ones" i just dont know right now.GB has to have better OLB play in this game,up front they will have to play their best game of the season.QB will have to step up and make the throws.All tbese things have been inconsistant so far.Can we win?I think so,but we have to want it!I wont make a prediction in this one either,i just hope we all stay healthy.WTD!

Heck...the '91 team can even be thrown in the mix as well.  Losing to Franklin Road Academy in the quarterfinals at home 8-6, man what a leg that FRA kicker had.  FRA went on to win the State Championship beating Peabody as well.  Those three years('91-'93), guess it can be said that we were somewhat a good luck charm to the three that put us out of the playoffs...and getting beat by a total of 8 points over that time(FRA of course 8-6, Trousdale Co. 15-14, and then Oneida 17-12).

In my opinion, since '87 we've had 5 or maybe more teams that could of/should of had Gold/Silver balls in the trophy case.

The prep/practices have changed since then as well...it has gone from taking up a few months to being a year round thing,  I bet if you were to ask any of the lineman on the team now what the board is...would result in many blank stares(Bet OnB has some 'great' memories of that piece of lumber).  As a kid I loved watching that drill, cause the coach would get frustrated with some of players techniques and end up going against a few of them to get his point across.

And I hope maybe this will be the year to get that quarterfinal monkey, so to speak, off our back...22 years has been long enough.

These lineman this yr are the last i got to coach in Middle school(youth league) and my friend they know exactly what the board was or is.I started ALL lineman drills with it.A testimony to the GREAT Harold Carpenter,one of my all time favorite coaches.Alot to be learned from that piece of wood!

Greenback lineman secrets, huh! Pretty good lines over the years, must work.

When you are undersized most yrs you have to have some sort of system that evens the playing field.Cant beat hard work!Coach Lyles(line coach)does a great job with what he has to work with!He was a great pickup for GB.

I was just kidding O&B.   This one will be the last time these 2 get together.  Still not sure how this one is gonna go.  I do know that both teams would love to have the " last time we played them we beat them" on their side of history.

Of course you were.lol!I would love to say that we got em fair and square the last time!!

I hope this game is won on the field! I am hoping and praying that this is not one of those games where either team or their fans say the refs cost us the game! Cause we all know that that has been the case on both sides. Or the thought on both sides. I would love to see Greenback Cherokees win , not the Kess , I don't know where that crap came from. But I am expecting a good game . Greenback by 1.

I hope this game is won on the field! I am hoping and praying that this is not one of those games where either team or their fans say the refs cost us the game! Cause we all know that that has been the case on both sides. Or the thought on both sides. I would love to see Greenback Cherokees win , not the Kess , I don't know where that crap came from. But I am expecting a good game . Greenback by 1.

Fatboy i used to feel the same about 'Kees but i have heard it so much it doesnt raise a brow anymore,and even catch myself using it now and then.GB by 1,you are wanting a good game and i would love to have one.I would love for this bunch to get that feeling of playing the last game of the yr its pretty special.You know what i mean!