8-AA Girls

uknow22

Interesting topic.just saying anything less than first place in district 8-aa for La girls basketball is an unsuccessfull season based on the numbers. Lets say every school has 10 players on each team. Allons 10, Hilham 10, La 10, Rickman 10, Wilson 10. That is 50 kids getting to play organized basketball and getting groomed for the high school. Sure some kids that will not   get to play will have to transfer come High school time. Now how can any other school in the district 8-aa compete with the Overton county farm system? u cant ... to simplify Cookeville is  pulling from 3 middle schools Algood, Prescott, Avery trace and playing "AAA" ball.. So that is 30 kids vs La 50 kids. and La plays AA ball . Statistically, u should win district and make State tournament every year, its all in the numbers.. same as Clarkrange which is cherry picking all off Fentress county and now  North cumberland county and playing "A" ball.. That is reason why York struggles, some of  their players are at Clarkrange playing for Lamar..

Apparently you've followed 8AA basketball very closely for many years and have vast knowledge of what it takes to have a winning, or losing program. Maybe coaches of some of the weaker programs in the district should seek your advice on how to turn their program around!    lol

Wilson goes to Monterey, always a couple of good players from Allons goes to Pickett. Several good atheletes that could end up at Cookeville go to Upperman (like the two bros).... This could go on & on. Numbers of students does factor in but look at Clarkrange. Great coach but you can't tell me that Lamar doesn't get good talent that isn't from their normal pool of students. If number of students plays such a role than I guess Cookeville should be a state powerhouse in all sports! So don't come with that same ole song & dance. LA does have good feeder programs & that does play a role in the reload. My point was that Lamb & Brown were sorely missed.

" Several good atheletes that could end up at Cookeville go to Upperman (like the two bros)". The two Bros went to UHS every year expect one, last year, and came back to UHS. No ties to Overton Co. I agree some good players choose to play at Pickett and Clay from Overton, but ussually they are the ones not getting any playing time and see the righting on the wall.

Guest AllBlue

it isn't just about numbers. in the end, you still have the same number of players on the varsity basketball team as any other team. It is how you groom those players at the early level and get buy-in to the program. Buy-in will result in harder work and in turn success. Success then turns to tradition. Tradition is a level that most schools do not achieve. Using the Cookeville example, they may only pull from 3 schools, but combined there is still a larger pool then 5 schools for Livingston. So why isn't Cookeville to that tradition level? The Livingston feeders show a passion and sheer desire to be part of the tradition. These schools get TONS of kids who try out for their bantam and varsity teams. The numbers are unbelievable. Obviously, many potentially good ones are cut. But instead of giving up totally on it, they come back the following year to try out even better because they still want to be a part of that tradition. Sorry to sound so sappy but not sure how else to describe it. LOL

it isn't just about numbers. in the end, you still have the same number of players on the varsity basketball team as any other team. It is how you groom those players at the early level and get buy-in to the program. Buy-in will result in harder work and in turn success. Success then turns to tradition. Tradition is a level that most schools do not achieve. Using the Cookeville example, they may only pull from 3 schools, but combined there is still a larger pool then 5 schools for Livingston. So why isn't Cookeville to that tradition level? The Livingston feeders show a passion and sheer desire to be part of the tradition. These schools get TONS of kids who try out for their bantam and varsity teams. The numbers are unbelievable. Obviously, many potentially good ones are cut. But instead of giving up totally on it, they come back the following year to try out even better because they still want to be a part of that tradition. Sorry to sound so sappy but not sure how else to describe it. LOL

I believe tradition does have a lot to do with it. Jim Brown comes to mind. When he got to Jackson they were so bad. With that being said it is easier for a Livingston than say a DeKalb ,Smith, or Cannon  just  by  numbers alone. If you do the math Livingston probably has 400 more students than the  schools mentioned. That is probably 200 more girls to choose from. Overton coaches do a very good job with their feeder programs and aau---bball showcase . Not crying about Livingston at all. That's just the way it is.

Edited by scatback

I will agree school enrollment numbers are not the only factor, its participation numbers that count. With Hilham, Allons, Rickman, LA....you got 4-5 8th graders playing at every school. That's 16-20 girls to pick from to be on the 9th grade team. In schools with 1 jr high, they usually pick 5 girls who make the 6th grade team and no other girl in that grade is ever considered or developed through their senior year. If I ran a program as a HS coach at say UH with 1 jr high, and 30 6th grade girls wanted to play.....if I had to I would make 2 teams so all could play. I would never have the same starting line ups in 2 consecutive games and make sure every girl got playing time. And if 20 girls wanted to play as Freshman, I would have a huge freshman team. I would not ever consider cutting anyone till they were Sophamores. You can't judge a kid at 10 and determine if they will or will not make a good ball player. To many coaches do this.