Tennessee Schools Contemplating withdrawal from the TSSAA

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have to be all or none. You couldn't have some schools in and some out. For instance: an Alcoa in the TSSAA could not play a Maryville in another system. It would be next to impossible to get 100% of the schools to go against the TSSAA in a new organization. However, a strong majority of the schools could lobby for change within the TSSAA, and get something done. The two big complaints I have heard over the past 20 years have been money and the playoff methods. Most recently there has been a huge cry over the poor officiating. The only way to get change, is to have a huge majority of coaches/principals on the same page. I don't know any one person who can get this done. The coaches know what the real problems are. The coaches could get something done if they worked together.

Why couldn't 2 teams in different organizations play? TSSAA teams play out of state teams every year.

Why couldn't 2 teams in different organizations play? TSSAA teams play out of state teams every year.

Old Pirate is sure there are Independant schools in Tennessee. It is down right shameful no fellers can answer what should be an easy question. Change often means sacrifice, just how bad do the schools and administrators want the mess fixed? Why are the school's major sports not in the same classification in basketball & baseball? Please explain....Futeball is the bread & butter of the school's athletics, same is true with the TSSAA. The only way to get change is schools to step away, figure you say cut the supply of money will get their attention. Just suppose a good amount of schools went independent resulting in loss revenue, the shock wave would be felt. OP says the biggest problem is schools realizing the TSSAA are paid employees of the "SCHOOL'S association, like all employees should be accountable for the job they perform. Again, OP asks what does the TSSAA do for schools besides, organize regions, districts, make playoff brackets, hire humans with a pulse, dress them in pinstripes and call them officials and lastly take a HEEP of gate $$$$$$$. Fellers, recon our forefathers knowd how to secede (leave) the Union, change came for the good of all as the result. Edited by OLD PIRATE

If my knowledge is up to par, not for profits have to disclose salaries of key employees, and maybe even their full financial statements, I am unable to find them.....anyone know where they are? 

Yes.  It is called a Form 990.

Here is a link to T$$AA's 2012 filing. ;)

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/620/620555481/620555481_201306_990.pdf

I see what you mean; was just thinking if we had more than one officiating body in TN, schools would continue to cry foul on bad calls. At least when you play out of state, you know what you're going to get. By the way, been keeping up with your orange Oneida team and am becoming a big fan from afar. Keep up the good work up there. 

Two words in the title stand up here......contemplating and withdrawing. Somethings in life just aren't as easy as we'd like for them to be.

Kaz

discovery of new territory is always a bumpy uncertain travel. Old Pirate says the schools either stand up, step away and be counted or crawl in the burrow and take shelter. Edited by OLD PIRATE

I see what you mean; was just thinking if we had more than one officiating body in TN, schools would continue to cry foul on bad calls. At least when you play out of state, you know what you're going to get. By the way, been keeping up with your orange Oneida team and am becoming a big fan from afar. Keep up the good work up there.

Glad to hear you're following. I'd like to invite you to come up tonight. Let me know & I'll pay you through the gate if ya let me know you're coming. Gonna be a playoff atmosphere. Lots of tailgating, local church is hosting free wings, coffee,snack & the like. Be glad to have ya, hopefully we can get this TV monkey off our backs & finally get a on air win.

Yes.  It is called a Form 990.

Here is a link to T$$AA's 2012 filing. ;)

http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/620/620555481/620555481_201306_990.pdf

lots of good info there.  there top 5 employees are making nearly 600,000 total.  Childress making 170k.  

Also interesting that the basketball tourny makes 10,000 more revenue than football. 

well proves the point of t$$aa

they had a total of 2.7 million in cash or cash equivalents (cash in bank and temporary "trading" securities)

That money should most deff be put toward the tssaa community.  

:?: they have an acid test ratio of 48.09.  I'm no expert on NPO's but that would be outrageous with a publicly traded company.  

go to page 32-33 and you can see what they claim they do for the schools 

Edited by Monkey Wrench