Heard from Maryville or Alcoa, TSSAA?

FridayMainEvent

Good comment Heisman and I also believe that the "new" 5A will be stronger than the "32. What it really boils down to though is the finances. I believe Coach Quarles is also the Athletic Director and his job as Athletic Director is to do what is financially best for the school. Nothing else in play when all is stripped away.

GQ confirmed that they will be staying in 6A

I disagree with you, I think the ONLY reason they are allowing teams to move into the Super 32 is so Maryville could do it, but that is my opinion and not based on anything but speculation. I could be 100% wrong, but we will probably never know for sure. 

Take the shots Farragut hasn't been able to....Very interesing, we have played in the largest classification ever since I can remember, even back in the day when I played in the good old days. So we have taken and given many "shots." Whereas you guys have been in it since what, 2010, and now they don't want to play the best. Give me a break if you think they are concerned about the "travel budget." 

And yes, Farragut has been down they last three years and that is because, as enrollment numbers show, we have been playing with 6A schools with the enrollment of a 5A school. Someone told me that students are finally being zoned back to Farragut and that enrollment should be back on the rise. I still can't believe that there are people that live in the Town of Farragut, that don't go to Farragut High School. The new school, Hardin Valley, has really hurt Farragut enrollment wise and those effects are finally being seen by the football team. 

As the series stand today, MHS 12 wins Farragut 2, regardless of classification.  The budget is the main concern. Period. 

Haven't been on coacht in 2 years.  But I have tried to get GQ to release info today with no reply.  He is classic.  If you want a secret kept, tell him.  He will not let it spill.  It's good to not say so everyone else can choose based on either what they think MHS will do, or, more importantly, choose what is best for their school.

In my opinion the best choice for MHS is to stay in 5A and save their school some cash.  Playing in 6A has not posed a challenge since they moved (undefeated in District Play).  They have proven that the classification is irrelevant.  So save money on travel.  Also, there are some high quality teams in East TN in 5A (just as many if not more than 6A).  Also the freshman/JV point was a good one as well as the parent who has to drive 3 hours to watch a half of football then the mercy rule.

On second thought, the best choice would be to play Junior Colleges during the regular season instead of high school teams.  From what I can gather, a lot of teams don't even bother much when they play Maryville because they know what is getting ready to happen.  Teams rest starters and just take their beating and move on.  So JUCO games might be more entertaining.  When watching MHS games, they have become incredibly predictable and somewhat boring (unless you are the coaches or parents or the players). 42-0/49-0/49-7/42-7/38-0/35-0. Very few neutral fans or fans from opposing teams even go to the games.

As far as the WB rumor, it is a strong likelihood.  Maryville would try to play Fulton instead of WB.  Of course, that all depends on what road MHS takes. 

WB will have no chance to move to 5A as there would have to be at least 3 teams move up besides Maryville to have the opportunity. 

WB is locked into 6A with DB/SHILL/JEFFCO/BEARDEN/HVALLEY/BRADLEY.  It looks like Cookeville will be moving west and only 7 teams in WB District unless MHS moves.

I have been trying to predict the MHS decision, but it is hard.  My gut feeling is that the Maryville Rebels will make the jump to 6A to avoid any negative publicity.  I don't think it is the best move for the school financially, but I think that is what will happen.

We will know soon enough, but we won't hear it from George.

Negative publicity of this type would come if the decision was financially a disaster. It just does not seem to be something that would be a concern or a consideration. Finances are the foundation of the decision and many more than the Athletic Director/ Head coach are involved I would assume. 

You guys are a bunch of whiners. So teams will have to travel a bit more in this new region, big deal. Personally I like the idea of a road trip. That's part of the reason I hate the current set-up. All the teams we play now are right in our back-yard. I look forward to going to the Tri-Cities to watch some games.

It's definitely a big deal. 2 hour bus trips, 3 buses deep, will absolutely be tough to manage and expensive

Edited by oldrebel

Here is a good article on it all. 91 I don't know if y'all elected to stay up or go to 5A, but if you went to 5A then it looks like y'all would be back in our district. http://tricitiessports.com/maryville-opts-for-class-a-football-alcoa-choses-a-p72769-116.htm

That would be fun too. I would enjoy seeing the Govs put one on Oak Ridge and watching Gaddis have a meltdown. Lol

Oh you know I would never let you hear the end of it if we beat ya'll. I can just see it now. Lol you would be making cracks about our one-sided stadium and Rangerblade would be taking shots at everybody. Good times

Good point. I'd hate to go there and play. I'd like for us to get rid of going to all 1 sided stadiums. AC, CC, and Central is enough.

Good point. I'd hate to go there and play. I'd like for us to get rid of going to all 1 sided stadiums. AC, CC, and Central is enough.

You can sit on the grassy hill behind the visitor sideline. It's kind of like a visitor's side. One of WB's fans on here does that. :P Edited by Governors91