Is the split coming?

ballbasher30

This argument is beyond ridiculous.

Agreed its ridiculous, but probably not for the same reasons. There's no reason the split or some further classification (like yAxis' plan) should not happen. It's logical. It results in better competition. It creates another category for a state championship which results in more money for TSSAA.

If it makes you feel better taking shots at public school kids, fine. As long as the situation is fixed, that's a very small price to pay.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed its ridiculous, but probably not for the same reasons. If it makes you feel better taking shots at public school kids, fine. As long as the situation is fixed, that's a very small price to pay.

To be clear, I'm not taking shots at public school kids. I'm a public school kid. I'm taking shots at you and public school parents. The situation you want "fixed" is the ability to give out more trophies. How about working harder? Now there's an idea.

To be clear, I'm not taking shots at public school kids. I'm a public school kid. I'm taking shots at you and public school parents. The situation you want "fixed" is the ability to give out more trophies. How about working harder? Now there's an idea.

Against my better judgement, I'm going to respond to this nonsense.

Give out more trophies?  How so?  By moving all private schools to Division II?  Nope. Still the same amount of trophies.  

If yAxis's idea played out (A/AA, AAA, and AAAA), then yes, 1 more trophy.  But that idea isn't even about making a "public / private split" - it's simply making an extra division to make competition more realistic (as far as region and state).  A school with 1,100 enrollment shouldn't have to go through a school with 2,500 enrollment to win a championship.  TSSAA understands this for football now.  Why not the other sports? (the main reason is travel problems, I believe - or what they'll argue anyway).

The private school elitist sentiments absolutely pours out of these types of threads and it is astonishing to me how close-minded you all are.

I love it, Chatt Cannon!!  I hope they do nothing so each year after the soccer season is over, we can continue to read the same whiney posts about how life is unfair and we never get a trophy!!  I would love for my child to win a State Championship, but if she doesn't, I'm not gonna cry and scream it is not fair!!  We didn't choose a private school for soccer.  We wanted to get a great education in an amazing atmosphere.  Sports are just a nice bonus.  Well, hopefully this sob story will continue next year, but I gotta run for now.  Got to go watch my oldest daughter play in the first round of the NCAA tournament!!

How about working harder? Now there's an idea.

To be clear, you are taking cheap shots at pubic school kids when you accuse them of not working as hard as they can.

For perspective, I attended both pubic and private (a large private co-ed in Chattanooga, not a small one like ND) and my child graduated from a large Nashville area private school last year that provides financial assistance and ACKNOWLEDGES it. I've seen both sides of the coin and there absolutely is an advantage for private schools over public. For you, ChatCannon, to claim there is not shows how naïve you are to this topic.

Privates and publics should absolutely be divided. How many big boy private schools has ND scheduled the past couple years in football? Baylor and McCallie are in your backyard. Ensworth, MBA, BGA or Brentwood Academy would love to schedule a home and home series with you.

If your boys could just work a little harder, thay might be able to compete against those big boys.

Edited by RonMexico3

That CPA parent said it was their "mission" to play against the public schools???

This is one of the funnier statements I have read on here in a while. I guess it is part of “going into all the world and spreading the good news.â€

All kidding aside, we all know it is going to be very difficult for small rural schools to compete in team sports other than football, basketball and baseball/softball. Without some sort of structural change (split, reclassification, etc.) it will take another generation or two to build up a soccer culture in rural areas that will develop enough talent to compete for championships.

The community I live in (a AAA high school community) did not even have a recreational soccer league until 25 or 30 years after the urban or suburban areas.  We are miles behind the schools like Franklin and Brentwood. 

Interesting posts and have read them for years.  No easy answers but I suspect that USN, USJ and others that switched to the private division 3 or 4 years ago have seen some positives to the move.  maybe others will follow over time.  

I have two that went to privates in Memphis.  One of which just finished playing four years at the D1 level.  even though they were in a "smaller conference" they went 5-1 vs the SEC over the last 2 years.  she had a fabulous experience and I would recommend it to anyone with the option!

Over the past few years, the public school systems in Shelby county have seen dramatic changes.  I believe they are for the better and am hoping the various municipalities will "get it right" in managing their school systems.  If they do, folks will have great options both public and private moving forward.  why does this matter to this thread?  Because it's the next argument!  the municipalities with the best schools will also have the best athletic programs. 

When this was passed at the state level, all the representatives from middle and east TN thought this was a Memphis issue.  well guess what - its not.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/nov/10/east-ridge-voters-open-door-to-city-school/

it's here to stay and Knoxville, Chattanooga and Nashville will have to address the issue at some point.    Why would Farragut residents stay in the knox county school system?  they can take the buildings and run the smaller district themselves.  What about east ridge.  If any level of success happens in west Tennessee, the bedroom communities and suburbs in middle and west TN will do the same.  they are watching and waiting!

Anyway - not pertinent to the current conversation but it will be at some point.  Probably a lot sooner than most will admit!!

I welcome the split and it can't come soon enough. Let the public schools get their ribbons and trophies and other assorted handouts. Our kids will do continue to work hard (year round), and compete with whatever division they are put in. Our kids will continue to go to college at a 99% clip, with most getting scholarships. Academic scholarships. This argument is beyond ridiculous.

Said this earlier in the thread, but I'll say it again under full disclosure, I'm a A/AA private assistant soccer coach in the Nashville area.

I don't want to get on anyone here but there is a much better way to word this.

There are great kids, students, athletes, student-athletes, (or whatever we want to call them) at many if not all schools.  Neither private nor public schools have a corner on players, coaches, and families who bust their butts in athletics and in the classroom. Lots of great schools - and more importantly, great people - in all areas of the state, public-private, magnet-open zone-closed zone, metro/urban-subrub-rural.

The whole point I think most people on this board are making is that in soccer, two classes with 0-1000 and 1000-2400 is not enough with such a wide number of students at schools.

Making a third classification with A/AA, AAA, and AAAA does not go down the road of participation awards or trophies for all.  Smaller rural schools with 200 students cannot compete (at least not in soccer) against metro public schools with 900 students or metro private schools with 300-400 students... they just can't.  This is no different than saying those same public schools with 900 students and private schools with 300 students cannot compete against big AAA schools with 2000+ students.

My school, has a history of a great soccer program with both the boys and girls.  This was the first year in my 6 years where the girls didn't make the state tournament. But even when we made the final (lost 2011, won 2012), there was no way we or the other finalist (CAK) were going to be able to play with the AAA schools of Ravenwood, Houston, Franklin, etc. that followed our match.  When we won it in 2012, we used 2 subs and I think CAK used 2 or 3.  The AAA state matches had girls on the on the bench 7-8 deep that would have stated for us as some of our top players.  Making a third class for smaller schools does the same thing, but just on the lower end of things.

Let's try our best to not have our first reaction (from any side of the argument) to be to circle the wagons.

JFW

Edited by yAxis

taking shots at public schools???......have you girls paid attention to the post that have showed up here over time????....Seriously!!!!  Who is truly taking the shots here????......c'mon; give us some more of your love.....call the kettle black

take a look at yourselves before you fire....

Booger just sayin

Do you (ND) want to continue this thread?  SM 5 ND 1 National Merit scholars last year.  ND has a great football team this year, they always have great soccer teams.  These are all great kids who go on to do great things…split is coming, but not the end of the world.  

yes we want to continue this thread.....this is a soccer thread....what does 5-1 merits have to do with the fact you have never beat ND in soccer????

Dont give us all a scrub answer, give us a soccer answer not football.....we thumped you at that one too

Bite off not only that stuff you can chew; but that stuff you can swallow

Booger just sayin  :mrgreen:

Edited by Booger

You have young talent in the MS and Brandi is an excellent coach. Wegner is a great player but you just didn't have enough around her this year but help, is on the way. However, you guys, with all the athletes you get in basketball, football and soccer would be better served playing against similar schools in DIIA/AA in my opinion. In fact another of your parents suggested in my presence this week to the HM of Ensworth that "nobody" will play them locally and that they'd "love to play Ensworth and BA."

Drew does an excellent job on the court and with "admissions." Ingle is a fantastic coach and very very good man (I've known him and his sisters their whole lives), and Brandi is a great HS and club coach.

Your parent that complained to me about competition really kind of exposed the flaw in his argument. While I respect that parent he's refusing to see the 800 lb gorilla in the room and that is you guys have a distinct advantage over 98% of the teams you play. You get athletes, uncommonly good athletes, that the schools you're playing don't have the ability to get because they're smaller public schools with zone restrictions.

To suggest enrollment is the biggest determining factor in why you guys are winning and publics are losing completely ignores the obvious answer. Your advantage, above all other private schools in middle TN, is the bell cow of why a split is best for everyone. It's a great school full of great kids and parents without a doubt but dominating everything but girls softball kinda reveals the issue.