State Semifinal: Maryville at Oakland

BigDave1967

SCOUTING REPORT MHS VS OAKLAND

Big game tomorrow in Murfreesboro against a formidable opponent, Oakland. They are Alcoa on steroids. Their head coach coached under Rankin at Riverdale. They run first pass second. Offensive line is their strenght. They have a large experienced offensive line lead by UT commit and All-American Jack Jones at right tackle. Backfield usually in a 20 set or two back set, #11 Cunningham( 5-10 165 ) as the work horse and backed up by #1 Black 5-9 160) The other back is # 45 used as an up back or fullback is # 45 Hurd (5-10 215) He usually sets up up close to the line offset to either the right or left as a blocker.  Good set of receivers #21 Stokes, #8 Gbesse, #84 Chears, 7 Stevens, #6 Oliver, #95 Dibble. They throw mid down usually 10 yds. THEY WILL throw deep by lulling the DB's to sleep and throwing over the top. Running game is their forte. Defense top notch led by #35 Prather 6-1 210. HE WILL NOT PLAY. Suspended for this game by TSSAA as he received two personal foul penalties in the last game. His back up # 28 So Cauthen 6-0 180. #45 Hurd  and # 14 are active and speedy linebackers. Defensive line is a 4 man front. DE #9 Newnan 5-10 200 is very good and very fast. The other defensive end is just as good and fast as well # 23 Ward 5-10 190. The defensive tackle are #51 and 62 Nix and Hathaway both 6-0 240 on the left side and #49 Akers 5-11 250 and Onwunere 

5-7 230 on the other. This defense relies on speed, getting to the ball FAST. I see them playing MHS straight up trying to stop whatever is presented. Not much stunting but will change up to confuse the oppositions offensive line and QB. 

MHS will do what they normally do. probe, probe probe and exploit the know weaknesses which may be their speed. May see a bit more miss direction offense from the Rebels to counter that speed. Maryville has been challenged to throw first the last two weeks. Look for some of that but Oakland is good and will try to stop everything based on tendencies. Look for the Rebels to run inside to the A gap as much as possible. Passing to Miller across the middle or in the seams. Look for Tillery to have a more active role as Oakland  will make sure Brock does not beat them deep. Tilley and Miller may go deep on occasion with some passing to the running backs out of the backfield. The trick is to spread the defense of Oakland out a bit more than they would like. Should be a great game. Happy Thanksgiving to all. MHS 35 Oakland 24. 

I think the big question in this game is whether Oakland's OL comes to play or just keeps reading their press clippings. I have a hard time understanding why they can't move the ball better when every one of them is a future Outland trophy winner and multiple all-pro. :rolleyes:

Sort of kidding on that but for all the press they've gotten the holes for the RBs sure have been small and few.

Maryville will win special teams. They always win special teams because they have a great special teams program that just reloads every year. If they get a free touchdown from special teams...game over.

Oakland probably has a better defense but Maryville definitely has a defense that compares very favorably. If Oakland's defense has their best game of the year...game on.

Offensively, Maryville scores points in bunches and Oakland struggles to get much done. If Oakland is forced to pass...game over. If Oakland is forced to play catch-up...game over. If Oakland can get the power run game going...game on.

So....

My take...Oakland only wins if the OL finally lives up to their billing, every play, for 48 minutes. Otherwise, just too much Maryville.

This is definitely a different 'Boro team than what Maryville has seen in the past. Siegel and Riverdale were finesse teams and Blackman is just offense by broken play. Oakland doesn't do a lot of fancy stuff but they're pretty darn good at the physical, field position game.

Maryville 31, Oakland 14

Great post.

Maryville 35, Oakland 10