Blue Cross Bowl: Ravenwood vs Maryville

BigDave1967

WOW!!! What a great game by both teams! Maryville and Ravenwood left it all out on that field last night! Kudos to Maryville, just goes to show you never give up in a game! Best game in the country last night, even better then any college game on tv! Maryville folks enjoy your ride, nothing short of AMAZING! Congrats on another state title :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

MHS fans - shoes reversed would GQ go for 2 to win it or play it safe

Those doubting coach Hester and his decision to go for the win :

When you get one play for a chance to win the gold ball and beat the mighty MHS you take it and Im sure if he could do it over he again he would go for the 2pt ( win )

I love the go for it all except I'm

Giving it to Rowland for the run.....

Either way let's say he plays it safe kicks PAT , then they lose in 2nd OT , you would then be saying he should have gone for 2pt

Either way count your blessings you got to see a great football game

When you get one play for a chance to win the gold ball and beat the mighty MHS you take it and Im sure if he could do it over he again he would go for the 2pt ( win )

Either way let's say he plays it safe kicks PAT , then they lose in 2nd OT , you would then be saying he should have gone for 2pt

GQ goes for the win in the same situation! It was very similar to the Whitehaven game. I don't think GQ felt like we could win in ot so he pulls the 2 point play. Ravenwood hadn't scored since the 1st quarter so they had to be questioning it.

I don't agree. You kick the extra point and play on. That was a ballsy yet low probablity of success outcome. If he had missed the extra point do you think people would be on here questioning why he didn't go for 2 ? Maryville was set up perfect defensively for ravenwood's two point play call. Also I am sure during the time out GQ with a level of certainty knew where they were going with the ball. I knew ....

It seems like many people have just accepted the claim that it's reasonable to assume that going for 2 points is a 50/50 proposition. It's simple enough to do a quick search of NCAA statistics to demonstrate that is a false assumption. Records are available for every year back to 1958, and never has a season had close to a 50% conversion rate.

NCAA records

2 points success

2007: 42.1%

2008: 37.0%

2009: 40.6%

2010: 40.0%

2011: 43.5%

1 point success

2007: 96.4%

2008: 96.4%

2009: 95.8%

2010: 96.4%

2011: 96.2%

So the facts don't support the claim that going for two is the optimal strategy.

General population statistics aren't really useful for a specific instance when deciding the best strategy, but they do show that unless you have a reason to believe you have a significant talent advantage over the other team which would lead you to believe your odds are well above average, or you are in a time/point situation that requires going for two, that going for 1 is the better strategy.

Read more: http://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/24784/facts-point-conversion-success-rates?page=1#ixzz3LDwyHflJ

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

Honestly, I go for two especially since they haven't scored since the first quarter. Maryville had adjusted and had built momentum toward the end of the game. Hester had a good play call, however, everyone expected it and some trickery or even using Jefferson as the decoy on the play could have caught Maryville off guard.

Don't give me wrong going for the extra point is the easier choice but it is a little tough to compare high school to NCAA with statistics that do not show a 16 or 17-year-olds mindset.

Edited by TheRealTruth

I sure am proud to be a Maryville Rebel fan. Both teams played their hearts out and neither team deserved to lose that game. Congrats to Ravenwood on a great season, you have a very classy program. Thank you Maryville coaches and players for another great year of football. More importantly, thank you to the Maryville coaches for your influence in these young men lives.

Random thoughts from the game....

TD Blackman is a great football player and was the hero last night. However, he is more impressive as a person.

Richie Koons may be the toughest HS player I have ever seen.

We are going to miss this great group of seniors. They have provided great leadership.

The 2 pt conversion was a gutsy call. Personally, I thought it was a good call just defended well.

I was concerned about losing the game at several times but never gave up. I have too much confidence inthis team and the coaches.

Ravenwood had a great student section.

Worst part of the win...Big Dave is still on the Maryville Bandwagon. If you're going to jump on the bandwagon, you need to drink the red Koolaid.

I got the impression GQ does pretty well at adapting to the play of the opposition.  Raptors also were well coached..I pray he can keep his health and kick off the extra weight and live a little longer..no dig, just health. and that is the sort of competition needed in the finals.  Coach, that is tougher than any football game. Best Wishes.  Amazing how calm both coaches "appeared" during such an exciting game! 

I won't armchair quarterback the going for 2...it was not my call to make.  I once knew a coach who lost a few games that way then blamed the players for not executing...can't do that here and not on a low percentage play...Maryville D executed perfectly on that pass.

Edited by Dart

Outstanding conversation regarding the 6A championship game. My only comment is......out there in "Rebel Nation" there are about 25 twenty year old ex-Rebels who have been introduced to KARMA! Those young men will never forget the heist. But,I am sure the "Rebel Nation pondered the 2012 outcome driving east on I-40 early this morning heading back to the city of Champions! I'd say making the stop for breakfast tasting much better than 2012?

Outstanding conversation regarding the 6A championship game. My only comment is......out there in "Rebel Nation" there are about 25 twenty year old ex-Rebels who have been introduced to KARMA! Those young men will never forget the heist. But,I am sure the "Rebel Nation pondered the 2012 outcome driving east on I-40 early this morning heading back to the city of Champions! I'd say making the stop for breakfast tasting much better than 2012?

I sure am proud to be a Maryville Rebel fan. Both teams played their hearts out and neither team deserved to lose that game. Congrats to Ravenwood on a great season, you have a very classy program. Thank you Maryville coaches and players for another great year of football. More importantly, thank you to the Maryville coaches for your influence in these young men lives.

Random thoughts from the game....

TD Blackman is a great football player and was the hero last night. However, he is more impressive as a person.

Richie Koons may be the toughest HS player I have ever seen.

We are going to miss this great group of seniors. They have provided great leadership.

The 2 pt conversion was a gutsy call. Personally, I thought it was a good call just defended well.

I was concerned about losing the game at several times but never gave up. I have too much confidence inthis team and the coaches.

Ravenwood had a great student section.

Worst part of the win...Big Dave is still on the Maryville Bandwagon. If you're going to jump on the bandwagon, you need to drink the red Koolaid.

No comment,no comment and no comment. I'm happy that Maryville won and will continue to root for the Rebels, but guys like you could drive me away.

Edited by BigDave1967

Passive you are a skunk. As for the Ravenwood student section... it was comprised of several different schools. Hats off to THE Raptors great team great game .

Why would students from other schools come to Cookeville to pull for another school? Was at a scrimmage at Ravenwood in August before school started they had the whole band and about 4,000 people there. Coach Hester has done a great job getting the community fired up about Raptor football. Don't see support like that at just any hs without lots of work. Congrats to Coach Hester and RHS.