3A BlueCross Bowl: Alcoa vs. CPA

AlcoaBasketball

The Alcoa football program has bigger problems than winning or losing championship games. The comments on Rankin are justified.  There is not much of a following when players and their families graduate out. The game attendance consist of mostly current players and families. There is usually some sort of dissention on how the players and parents are treated every year.  Rankin needs to go. With the talent Alcoa has every year there are plenty of coaches with better community skills  that could guide the team to championships

As a Maryville fan it is ludicrous to hear Alcoa fans wanting Gary Rankin gone. Gary has been by far the best Alcoa coach ever. Gary has made Alcoa tougher and more Physical. Funny thing is in 2009 and 2010 I remember several Alcoa fans saying Rankin is as good as George Quarles. I remember seeing Alcoa when they had coaches like Philip Ironside. I remember seeing Alcoa losing twice badly to Lipscomb in the semifinals. I also remember Alcoa getting destroyed by Meigs County 65-21. Meigs County rushed for nearly 700 yds that game. I think that was the 1995 semifinals.

As a Maryville fan it is ludicrous to hear Alcoa fans wanting Gary Rankin gone. Gary has been by far the best Alcoa coach ever. Gary has made Alcoa tougher and more Physical. Funny thing is in 2009 and 2010 I remember several Alcoa fans saying Rankin is as good as George Quarles. I remember seeing Alcoa when they had coaches like Philip Ironside. I remember seeing Alcoa losing twice badly to Lipscomb in the semifinals. I also remember Alcoa getting destroyed by Meigs County 65-21. Meigs County rushed for nearly 700 yds that game. I think that was the 1995 semifinals.

Gary Rankin is a very very good coach that has bennifitted on being at schools with far more talent in their classification than the competition year in and year out. That does not lesson what he has done, but facts are facts. Marysville coach could go to about any school and turn them into a dominant football team. I don't veiw Rankin as that. He has to have the right situation to win. That being said, he is good coaching great athletes to play together. Some coaches can't do that. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

The Alcoa football program has bigger problems than winning or losing championship games. The comments on Rankin are justified. There is not much of a following when players and their families graduate out. The game attendance consist of mostly current players and families. There is usually some sort of dissention on how the players and parents are treated every year. Rankin needs to go. With the talent Alcoa has every year there are plenty of coaches with better community skills that could guide the team to championships

If this is true, why did the city vote to approve the bond issue to pay for the artificial turf and the jumbo tron?

Rankin has benefitted from having better athletes because of the open zoning policies Blount county has. To this Alcoa outsider, the coaching staff lost this game. The play calling was on a pee wee level. I might even argue some pee wee teams have a more creative offense than Alcoa did Friday. Don't give me the excuse that the QB is a Soph.....Rankin and his staff had all year to teach the kid to throw a 10 yd curl or 8 yd slant or how to roll out for a throw/run option. Handing the ball off to a big back who was gassed by the 3rd quarter was an awful plan and very unimaginative one. All CPA had to do was load up the box and play man on the outside. Alcoa coaches needs to remember there is always someone bigger and meaner then you. Maybe not in East TN, but there someone. CPA proved it.

Gary Rankin is a very very good coach that has bennifitted on being at schools with far more talent in their classification than the competition year in and year out. That does not lesson what he has done, but facts are facts. Marysville coach could go to about any school and turn them into a dominant football team. I don't veiw Rankin as that. He has to have the right situation to win. That being said, he is good coaching great athletes to play together. Some coaches can't do that.

Gary Rankin can coach. I remember after Jon Reid left Alcoa after the 2005 season. A lot of people thought Reid was leaving because Alcoa was losing Dustin Lindsey and Brandon Warren. Everyone thought Alcoa was going to slip a little bit. In comes Gary Rankin. He made Alcoa tougher immediately. I thought Maryville would kill Alcoa in 2006. Maryville had to hang on to win 17-14. Except for the last 2 seasons. Alcoa has been a tough out for Maryville.

Gary Rankin can coach. I remember after Jon Reid left Alcoa after the 2005 season. A lot of people thought Reid was leaving because Alcoa was losing Dustin Lindsey and Brandon Warren. Everyone thought Alcoa was going to slip a little bit. In comes Gary Rankin. He made Alcoa tougher immediately. I thought Maryville would kill Alcoa in 2006. Maryville had to hang on to win 17-14. Except for the last 2 seasons. Alcoa has been a tough out for Maryville.

I think everyone agrees Rakin is a great coach. But, there are plenty of coaches across this state that could win titles coaching at Alcoa. The athletes, support from the city and fans, the open zone(players moving in from all over), and the fact the school enrollment stays low creates a great situation for winning that no other 3a school has. Just like at Riverdale when they had 3000 plus students. Was the biggest HS in state at one point, unlimited fan support and money, and open zoned with several players from all over the county and mid state (Locke from Cookeville) made a great sisuation no other 6a had. As soon as that situation was gone with other schools opening, and strict zones put in...he bolted. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

I think everyone agrees Rakin is a great coach. But, there are plenty of coaches across this state that could win titles coaching at Alcoa. The athletes, support from the city and fans, the open zone(players moving in from all over), and the fact the school enrollment stays low creates a great situation for winning that no other 3a school has. Just like at Riverdale when they had 3000 plus students. Was the biggest HS in state at one point, unlimited fan support and money, and open zoned with several players from all over the county and mid state (Locke from Cookeville) made a great sisuation no other 6a had. As soon as that situation was gone with other schools opening, and strict zones put in...he bolted.

It doesn't look like some of these Alcoa fans think Rankin can coach. I think some of their fans don't remember the bad days. I remember the Alcoa seasons when they were lucky to have 30 kids out for football.As a Maryville fan I will never forget what it was like in the late 80s and early 90s for Maryville. It was a lot of 5-5 seasons. That is why Rebel fans love George Quarles and his staff so much. It will be a sad day when George quits coaching at Maryville.

From recruiting talk, to open zoned talk, to statewide respect for both teams. I like where this thread has gone. It's good to see that pretty much all can respect a great football game played by a bunch of hard working kids. Hard hits. Kids on opposite teams helping each other up. Zero personal fouls. Zero trash talk. Form tackles. Solid line play. You can go on and on. Both teams showed the absolute best factors of High School Football. I think this game is an instant classic. I'm glad I recorded it.

+1

If this is true, why did the city vote to approve the bond issue to pay for the artificial turf and the jumbo tron?

Call it being a Master Manipulator . Rankin knows how to get what he wants being a '"bully" on the field and a manipulator off the field. It's all about him. Just ask some of the players and parents when he makes promises he does not keep..... handles playing time during games..... and how he handles their concerns.

The "insiders" know..........

Call it being a Master Manipulator . Rankin knows how to get what he wants being a '"bully" on the field and a manipulator off the field. It's all about him. Just ask some of the players and parents when he makes promises he does not keep..... handles playing time during games..... and how he handles their concerns.

The "insiders" know..........

WOW!!!