Memphis basketball and why they win

UCSportsFan

The continued statements about kids being to old is lame.  Has it happened, yes, once for sure, with a kid new to the area.  How many kids are held back a year in the 7th or 8th grade.  Those kids would be the same age as a player that repeats a year of high school.   I graduated high school at 17 and played 3 college football games before i turned 18.  Could have been held back twice at the middle school or elementary school level and still been eligible because of a September birthday.

Being a fan of any school gives you a right to say positives about them.  When you have to trash other people because of your  groups failures, all I can say is grow up..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The continued statements about kids being to old is lame.  Has it happened, yes, once for sure, with a kid new to the area.  How many kids are held back a year in the 7th or 8th grade.  Those kids would be the same age as a player that repeats a year of high school.   I graduated high school at 17 and played 3 college football games before i turned 18.  Could have been held back twice at the middle school or elementary school level and still been eligible because of a September birthday.

Being a fan of any school gives you a right to say positives about them.  When you have to trash other people because of your  groups failures, all I can say is grow up..

I'm familiar with your post's Dragonmaster, and we usually agree...not in this case though. I defended Ridgeway's position in the last incident too, just no way that you could say that they should have known, and I doubt that they did. In the Manassas case, the kid was (if the information is correct) enrolled at the same school and completed his eligibility last season. It's your job to know this if your the AD or Head Coach. 

All you do is act like its one isolated incident when in fact this is the 3rd one in as many years.  This was the kids 5th year at the same high school!!!! Hello they knew what they were doing.  You insult our intelligence to act like this only happened once.  Win at all cost is what you're about, cheat as long as you can get away with it and then act like someone else has a problem instead of placing blame where it belongs!  I'm very up to date on the age rule and when you can hold someone back based on when their birthday is.  If you hold them back before the 7th grade, no eligibility is lost you hold them back in the 7th or 8th grade and you lose your freshman year, but then they are allowed to play the remaining 3 years. As long as they turn 19 after September 1st they are eligible as long as they haven't exceeded the number of semesters given to a high school athlete.

Edited by UCSportsFan

All you do is act like its one isolated incident when in fact this is the 3rd one in as many years. This was the kids 5th year at the same high school!!!! Hello they knew what they were doing. You insult our intelligence to act like this only happened once. Win at all cost is what you're about, cheat as long as you can get away with it and then act like someone else has a problem instead of placing blame where it belongs! I'm very up to date on the age rule and when you can hold someone back based on when their birthday is. If you hold them back before the 7th grade, no eligibility is lost you hold them back in the 7th or 8th grade and you lose your freshman year, but then they are allowed to play the remaining 3 years. As long as they turn 19 after September 1st they are eligible as long as they haven't exceeded the number of semesters given to a high school athlete.

UC IM with you on this one and I know little bit about the situation let's just say they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar

My question: Will the issues at Douglass, Manassas, and Hamilton stop the teams from going to state??? Its gonna be hard to win 7 road games.

Hamilton will not have a problem because they Will most.likely win district then be the 1 seed in regionals Manassas really misses Nesby he was the only returning starter from last season I don't see them going to the state Douglass has a little bit of a better but I don't think they make it either

I in no way am defending someone that has recruited or knowingly used athletes that should not be eligible.  If you do, suffer the punishment.  If a student has been at your school for 5 years you should know.  My comment was dealing with the continued comment abut 20 year olds playing.   A player that repeats a year in high school can not and should not play as a senior.  There is a difference in being too old and playing to many semesters.

• 2 weeks later...

All you do is act like its one isolated incident when in fact this is the 3rd one in as many years.  This was the kids 5th year at the same high school!!!! Hello they knew what they were doing.  You insult our intelligence to act like this only happened once.  Win at all cost is what you're about, cheat as long as you can get away with it and then act like someone else has a problem instead of placing blame where it belongs!  I'm very up to date on the age rule and when you can hold someone back based on when their birthday is.  If you hold them back before the 7th grade, no eligibility is lost you hold them back in the 7th or 8th grade and you lose your freshman year, but then they are allowed to play the remaining 3 years. As long as they turn 19 after September 1st they are eligible as long as they haven't exceeded the number of semesters given to a high school athlete.

UCSportsfan:

Everyone reading this agrees. If you are playing players that are ineligible, whether you knew they were ineligilbe or not, the team should suffer the consequences. IF you want to paint ALL Memphis teams as cheaters, or insinuate that the system here in the City of Memphis is corrupt because of these instances, that's your perrogative, and you have voiced your opinion about it thusly.

That being said, the Memphis basketball programs are strong and vibrant, and there are way more good quality programs then there are bad ones. The Memphis AAU programs are also getting stronger and stronger while increasing in number. The competition in this town is immense and it is thriving as never before. It will be the same this year as it has been in the past ... getting OUT of Memphis into the playoffs is the toughest thing to do. The two teams that do that (Large Schools) have a real good chance to win the title and bring it home because going through this crucible prepares you like no other.

Edited by kwc