Memphis basketball and why they win

UCSportsFan

BPM:

Even in both of those cases ... Hamilton and Ridgeway. Those weren't cases where the coaches/school 'cheated' knowingly. Case in point with Ridgeway a few years ago. That young man had graduated from school in Louisiana, moved to Memphis, forged documentation, had his WIFE act as his mother to get him enrolled. Had not the young man start flirting with a high school girl and his wife/mother not found out about his shinanigans ... he may have pulled it off. IT ... the young man's ileagal activity, fooled everybody. When the coach at Ridgeway got wind of what was going on ... they investigated and discoverd the transgression. The young man fooled the school board ... not just the school. The killer thing about it ... he was a bench rider, and Ridgeway was legitametly better the Southwind that year. THAT was a tough one for Ridgeway to swallow.

The Hamilton situation is different, but it follows a similar vein ... he, the young man playing ball, just slipped through the cracks. It can happen ... especially with the transferring issues. Now this player played a more significant role on Hamilton's team, then the young man that was on Ridgeway's team. However, when the coaches at Hamilton became apppearent of the situation, they sat him and waited for judgement from the TSSAA office.

I know the big Memphis schools win the championship more often then not and folks that are not from this area are going to think that there are integrity issues, when that's not the case. They, the big schools, DON'T HAVE TO CHEAT TO WIN. In almost every situation where you have a winning program, you have talent ON THE BENCH in bunches. Those teams are 10-12 deep easily ... and then some. In fact, if you read a Ridgeway boxscore in the paper, you can see where he plays 10, 11, even 12 players at times. Some of those games are tight. Some are blowouts. It doesn't matter to him. Most of the time on these teams, an underclassman will have to subdue his game/talent, for the team, and bide their time until later in their career.

I know ... folks are just goiong to think that they cheat. Truth is ... they don't have to and it is more damaging to try and cheat and get caught, then to just play by the rules. Too much talent in the city to do that. WAY TOO MUCH TALENT! The coaches at Ridgeway and Hamilton, in particular, are bigtime names in the industry. Moms and Dads who THINK their son can play basketball are trying to get their son at those schools, to just name those two. Not to mention that the Hamilton coach coaches for Team Penny during the summer in AAU basketball. (Team Penny is BIG TIME in AAU) Makes no sense to cheat because all of the ballers know him and his history in the game.

However ... I know what some will think. Go ahead and think that.

By the way, BPM, I know you aren't trying to cast aspersions on either school ... I just thought I'd throw that in for defending those programs sake. I know how you meant when you stated what you stated.

Isn't it against TSSAA rules to coach a Summer team if you are a High School coach? Maybe he coaches the younger kids and none of them attend Hamilton yet. That would probably be an exception. I know our HS coach has made the statement that he could not coach a Summer team of his own players. Just curious what the rule is? What about it Galilee? Edited by TCAIntense

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What better way to get a kid to come into your program than to coach him in AAU? I would be interested in how many kids he has coached in AAU have played high school ball for him afterwards...

Well, he coached on the 17 under team ... these are already high schoolers. When it come to AAU ball in Memphis ... it's a very serious thing. Especially Team Penny. You don't get on a Team Penny team if you can't play on a high level. This isn't rec legue.

Team Penny Roster from the summer of 2014

As you can see, there is a mix of High School players on this roster. Then there is the 16 under, and so on and so forth. AAU basketball determines who gets what scholarship to what college. NOT high school ball. AAU basketball.

Edited by kwc

Isn't it against TSSAA rules to coach a Summer team if you are a High School coach? Maybe he coaches the younger kids and none of them attend Hamilton yet. That would probably be an exception. I know our HS coach has made the statement that he could not coach a Summer team of his own players. Just curious what the rule is? What about it Galilee?

Penny Hardaway is the head coach (Team Penny). The Hamilton coach assists.

Edited by kwc

Well, he coached on the 17 under team ... these are already high schoolers. When it come to AAU ball in Memphis ... it's a very serious thing. Especially Team Penny. You don't get on a Team Penny team if you can't play on a high level. This isn't rec legue.

Team Penny Roster from the summer of 2014

As you can see, there is a mix of High School players on this roster. Then there is the 16 under, and so on and so forth. AAU basketball determines who gets what scholarship to what college. NOT high school ball. AAU basketball.

I know this isn't rec league! I was referring to HS players playing travel ball in the Summer. My son plays AAU and will be playing for a Memphis team this coming year. Now that I think about it, I think the rule is that a Summer team can't have more than 3 players from one HS team if the HS coach is coaching.

BPM:

Even in both of those cases ... Hamilton and Ridgeway. Those weren't cases where the coaches/school 'cheated' knowingly. Case in point with Ridgeway a few years ago. That young man had graduated from school in Louisiana, moved to Memphis, forged documentation, had his WIFE act as his mother to get him enrolled. Had not the young man start flirting with a high school girl and his wife/mother not found out about his shinanigans ... he may have pulled it off. IT ... the young man's ileagal activity, fooled everybody. When the coach at Ridgeway got wind of what was going on ... they investigated and discoverd the transgression. The young man fooled the school board ... not just the school. The killer thing about it ... he was a bench rider, and Ridgeway was legitametly better the Southwind that year. THAT was a tough one for Ridgeway to swallow.

The Hamilton situation is different, but it follows a similar vein ... he, the young man playing ball, just slipped through the cracks. It can happen ... especially with the transferring issues. Now this player played a more significant role on Hamilton's team, then the young man that was on Ridgeway's team. However, when the coaches at Hamilton became apppearent of the situation, they sat him and waited for judgement from the TSSAA office.

I know the big Memphis schools win the championship more often then not and folks that are not from this area are going to think that there are integrity issues, when that's not the case. They, the big schools, DON'T HAVE TO CHEAT TO WIN. In almost every situation where you have a winning program, you have talent ON THE BENCH in bunches. Those teams are 10-12 deep easily ... and then some. In fact, if you read a Ridgeway boxscore in the paper, you can see where he plays 10, 11, even 12 players at times. Some of those games are tight. Some are blowouts. It doesn't matter to him. Most of the time on these teams, an underclassman will have to subdue his game/talent, for the team, and bide their time until later in their career.

I know ... folks are just goiong to think that they cheat. Truth is ... they don't have to and it is more damaging to try and cheat and get caught, then to just play by the rules. Too much talent in the city to do that. WAY TOO MUCH TALENT! The coaches at Ridgeway and Hamilton, in particular, are bigtime names in the industry. Moms and Dads who THINK their son can play basketball are trying to get their son at those schools, to just name those two. Not to mention that the Hamilton coach coaches for Team Penny during the summer in AAU basketball. (Team Penny is BIG TIME in AAU) Makes no sense to cheat because all of the ballers know him and his history in the game.

However ... I know what some will think. Go ahead and think that.

By the way, BPM, I know you aren't trying to cast aspersions on either school ... I just thought I'd throw that in for defending those programs sake. I know how you meant when you stated what you stated.

KWC... I agree with everything you said. And my apologies if what I said could have been cast in a negative light towards Hamilton and Ridgeway. I certainly meant no disrespect. Lots of hard working plays and coaches in Memphis for sure.

Actually the rule is that you can only coach 15 days during the summer and 10 of those can be competition days after the start of June or end of school year(which ever comes first).   You are not supposed to coach after the start of the summer dead period(Sunday last full week of June).  There is no exception.  In the bigger AAU organizations, High School coaches may coach but they can not coach players that are on their high school team.   They can coach younger kids or kids from other high schools.  Additionally there is spring practice that allows high school coaches to work with their their own players.   The 3 on a team rule is for after the start of school and can not be done by a high school coach(fall leagues) 

Most people don't care or don't know exactly what the rules(TSSAA) are in relation to summer coaching.  I have been involved in AAU ball and have seen what occurs.  The TSSAA is an organization that depends on the responsible adults doing what responsible adults should do.   We all make mistakes but never should they be intentional.  

I also have mixed feelings about the statement that AAU ball is where scholarships come from.  Players do get more exposure from AAU but if they don't perform in the classroom, it doesn't matter how well they do in the summer.  Few if any AAU coaches(confidentiality laws)  have the opportunities to monitor grades of students.  They could set up tutoring for them, but how many do.   How many players that are not performing at an academic institution and do not have a scholastic coaches recommendation actually receive a college scholarship at other than a junior college.

I am a high school coach and athletic director.  I may be overly cautious concerning rules, but feel confident that we can compete and follow the rules.  We encourage our players to participate in AAU.  We have lost players due to that participation because of the influence of coaches(high school) of those AAU teams, but feel overall it is very beneficial for our team and program.  

Pardon the soap box.

DM

Actually the rule is that you can only coach 15 days during the summer and 10 of those can be competition days after the start of June or end of school year(which ever comes first).   You are not supposed to coach after the start of the summer dead period(Sunday last full week of June).  There is no exception.  In the bigger AAU organizations, High School coaches may coach but they can not coach players that are on their high school team.   They can coach younger kids or kids from other high schools.  Additionally there is spring practice that allows high school coaches to work with their their own players.   The 3 on a team rule is for after the start of school and can not be done by a high school coach(fall leagues) 

Most people don't care or don't know exactly what the rules(TSSAA) are in relation to summer coaching.  I have been involved in AAU ball and have seen what occurs.  The TSSAA is an organization that depends on the responsible adults doing what responsible adults should do.   We all make mistakes but never should they be intentional.  

I also have mixed feelings about the statement that AAU ball is where scholarships come from.  Players do get more exposure from AAU but if they don't perform in the classroom, it doesn't matter how well they do in the summer.  Few if any AAU coaches(confidentiality laws)  have the opportunities to monitor grades of students.  They could set up tutoring for them, but how many do.   How many players that are not performing at an academic institution and do not have a scholastic coaches recommendation actually receive a college scholarship at other than a junior college.

I am a high school coach and athletic director.  I may be overly cautious concerning rules, but feel confident that we can compete and follow the rules.  We encourage our players to participate in AAU.  We have lost players due to that participation because of the influence of coaches(high school) of those AAU teams, but feel overall it is very beneficial for our team and program.  

Pardon the soap box.

DM

One of the few good rules we have here in Fl. is that any player that plays AAU and is coached by any coach on the staff will not be eligible if he or she were to transfer to their school. So even if a person were to be an asst. coach for an AAU team and a player were to transfer to his school then that player would be ineligible for 1 year.

Pardon the soap box.

DM

DM, soapboxes are always welcomed.

My statement about AAU baskeball wasn't meant to be measured as an end all, be all. But you do have to recognize that it drives the bus, especially with the big college programs such as Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc. Nike and Addidas are very powerful in that regard.

Edited by kwc

Another Memphis school caught cheating..... Manassas is the 2nd of the year and i'm sure its just the tip of the iceberg. Like i said no wonder they win, they are playing 20+ year old men against boys. Not fair people! :popcorneater:

the kids in question are not 20+ Uc that was one incident and that kid was not 20+ he got a GED in Louisiana and enrolled in school here now yes it's wrong that a kid getting caught playing In his 5th YEAR of highschool is costing the other kids on the team who are working hard but it's not every school here that's doing it we have some.up standing coaches here

the kids in question are not 20+ Uc that was one incident and that kid was not 20+ he got a GED in Louisiana and enrolled in school here now yes it's wrong that a kid getting caught playing In his 5th YEAR of highschool is costing the other kids on the team who are working hard but it's not every school here that's doing it we have some.up standing coaches here

If he's in his 5th year he's pretty close to 20!  He certainly isn't 17 or 18 thats for sure!  I have no doubt that there are some great coaches there and we all know there are some phenomenal athletes there and I'm ok with that, beat us straight up and you deserve to win but don't cheat the kids that are doing it the right way and playing by the rules that they are suppose to, thats all i'm saying.

Edited by UCSportsFan

If he's in his 5th year he's pretty close to 20! He certainly isn't 17 or 18 thats for sure! I have no doubt that there are some great coaches there and we all know there are some phenomenal athletes there and I'm ok with that, beat us straight up and you deserve to win but don't cheat the kids that are doing it the right way and playing by the rules that they are suppose to, thats all i'm saying.

I can agree with you I'm all for fairness but just don't put a jacket on my whole city cause of a few cases that's all I'm saying cause we have some here doing it the right way also Edited by mcon50