Has Charge call gotten out of hand

Dragonmaster

This year there has been a drastic increase in the # of charges I have seen called in ball games.  I had an official actually tell me that the defender does not have to establish position to draw a charge. The airborne shooter has not been protected all year.  Several charges have been called with the defender sliding in at or behind the backboard.   Has this occurred in other parts of the state also.  I think we should change the offensive foul call from the punch signal.  Many guys seem to like to strike a pose when making the call.

• Upvote 2

This year there has been a drastic increase in the # of charges I have seen called in ball games.  I had an official actually tell me that the defender does not have to establish position to draw a charge. The airborne shooter has not been protected all year.  Several charges have been called with the defender sliding in at or behind the backboard.   Has this occurred in other parts of the state also.  I think we should change the offensive foul call from the punch signal.  Many guys seem to like to strike a pose when making the call.

I think part of the reason in the increase in charges is the emphasis on the dribble drive. A defender has to have position established but they do not have to be set. High school doesn't have the charge circle like college so there is no protected area around the backboard. Some officials like to get animated whether it is a block or charge (nothing like the opportunity to inject yourself into the game LOL). I tend to see more players out of control.

Don't know what part of the state you are in but it has been a problem in the Upper Cumberland as well.  Out of 5 calls we will get 3 charges when the defender was clearly not there.  You are right the air born player has no protection.  Officials need to go back to "class" on this as well as what is a blocked shot and a body foul.  We have had a few do a great job on calling the blocks but most miss the call.

And we have a winner!!!

Offensive players playing out of control should not be rewarded for bowling over someone playing good defense.

dont disagree with you.  players are out of control.  but the way it is called at least in our game athleticism is rewarded not good defense.  The official I talked to said that the offensive player must have his head and shoulders by the defense.  That is not in the rule book but it is what they have been told to call.

dont disagree with you. players are out of control. but the way it is called at least in our game athleticism is rewarded not good defense. The official I talked to said that the offensive player must have his head and shoulders by the defense. That is not in the rule book but it is what they have been told to call.

He is right about things coming down from bigger heads. One of the main points that came from the state this year to the officials is that a majority of your bang bang block/charge calls are charges. I tend to agree, for the most part at least.

I'm sort of inclined to agree with the ref's. Over the years there have been way too many "block" calls when the defense was clearly set, and the offensive player didn't contact the defensive player squarely. Yes...I've seen the defensive player use their torso and/or legs to lean into the path of the offensive player and initiate contact, but more often the offensive player tries at the last second to avoid contact, and is only successful in getting the ball and the arm/head past. The defender also has the right to adjust their position, as long as their movement doesn't initiate the contact. There also seems to be a big difference this season whether the offensive player posses the ball...as long as the player strikes the classic "crossed arms" pose, they're being allowed to pick the defensive player without establishing position at all. I'd like to see the deciding factor shifted more to which player initiates contact, rather than body position in relation to each other. Put a statue in the paint in the acceptable defensive position of feet shoulder width, arms raised, and knees slightly bent,  couple that with some of the showboat ref's and clever offensive players, and the statue finishes the game in foul trouble.

Edited by tradertwo