GREENBACK FOOTBALL

cherokean

Why are people even saying greenback will represent the east. Greenback hasn't been past the third round since the early 90s. What makes everyone think this year will be different?

Correct to a degree...some know the tradition and capability...There's been I know probably 6-7 years that Greenback could've/should've represented the East since 1987, our luck just runs out. An there's two of the current coaches on staff that were players and as for myself personally I was a manager the last time in Semifinals. Sometimes I think the Quarterfinal opponent in '92, Davidson Academy, put some sort of hex on us...haha

Yes, I did. I thought they would win by 3 TDs minimum, but as I said the entire time. It was nothing more than a formality with that beast waiting from the west.

I don't have a clue about the 2 new guys but 2 studs on a 1a school can be a huge difference maker. Either way I wish them the best, 

new coach might have a new offense and d

Especially when they are joining a few more studs, lol! Only preseason will tell but the future is looking pretty bright in G nation! Watched these kids for years and trust me there is plenty of talent. Now what is that talent gonna do? Stay tuned for the 2015 season! Sometimes you just gotta feeling.

OK now that it has been written in stone that no team from the East will compete for a Gold ball this year why go through the motions? cancel the season and wait until you know you have a team to compete for the best team in your class in TN! I don't think so. There is so much more to a football season than winning a gold ball. The love of the game, the brotherhood, the wins, the losses and achieving to go as far as you can with and for your team, school, fans, and community. It is a wild ride that not winning a gold ball can't take away from you. So to every East TN team I say work your butts off, have a successful season, and go be Daniel and face those West TN Giants and come away with some color of ball! Ask someone from Coalfield if they don't feel the same way!

OK now that it has been written in stone that no team from the East will compete for a Gold ball this year why go through the motions? cancel the season and wait until you know you have a team to compete for the best team in your class in TN! I don't think so. There is so much more to a football season than winning a gold ball. The love of the game, the brotherhood, the wins, the losses and achieving to go as far as you can with and for your team, school, fans, and community. It is a wild ride that not winning a gold ball can't take away from you. So to every East TN team I say work your butts off, have a successful season, and go be Daniel and face those West TN Giants and come away with some color of ball! Ask someone from Coalfield if they don't feel the same way!

I agree with you on what you said. Winning the silver ball is a great accomplishment as well. Ma'am I have played the game so I understand about the ups and downs,brotherhood, life lessons, the crying with your teammates, etc that the game teaches. My response was totally dealing with winning a gold ball. I'm an east supporter. I hope the east wins another gold one soon, but I know the west is just head and shoulders better than us right now.

Why are people even saying greenback will represent the east. Greenback hasn't been past the third round since the early 90s. What makes everyone think this year will be different?

You hit the nail on the head!This talk is nonsense.GB has been out coached and out played the past three yrs until that beast is conquered i dont see anything other than a good season this yr.Great seasons are hard to come by for these 190 student schools and its not going to change anytime soon.I would love to see GB in cookeville but face it Oneida and Coalfield both outplayed us and out coached us last yr and its the same old same old every yr here lately.I do want to see what the 2015 Cherokees can do but from what i see returning and other than a couple very good players returning the jury is out.I know we return 3 or 4 starting lineman but face it we where not good up front so i am very curious to see what we can do to make them better.We return an average fullback and some promising young guys and got a "stud" in from Seq but if you cant block you cant run.Our recieving corp will be down also.QB should be alot better but we havnt seen him at the Varsity level in a regular season game yet to see how he handles the pressure and adversity,i do think he has the potential to be one of our best tho.Pujo i agree i dont know if we can win the region.Then we have to figure in a new coaching staff that alone will be a learning curve.Coalfield sould be the front runner a team that can throw and run is very tough come playoff time.The QB from Coalfield is the best ayer from the East side i saw play last yr and only got better as the season went on,HE was the difference maker in the playoff game against us at home PERIOD!Without him they dont beat us he is a special player.Peabody moving down and NCS returning practically their whole team does make it almsot impossible for anyone on the side to bring home a Gold ball but that can change in an instant with key injuries in 1A.Oneida and Harriman(if they can figure out how to coach for 4 quarters)will both be very tough to beat next yr.I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer but we have had some very good football teams the past three yrs and we still have nothing to show from it and i am very disappointed in our postseason play,after last yrs lost to Coalfield in the playoffs i have put the Orange colored glasses up (for now)But we still play the games and anything can happen.So hurry up football season!Good luck to all! Edited by orngnblk

Nice post.If as a player you write yourself off then you shouldnt even put the pads on,this site is fun to do our predicting as has beens and sitting behind the keyboard(the players do read this even tho they probably shouldnt lol) but the kids have to battle for their place in history.I remember in 1987 we went into the season just playin ball and taking one week at a time,then all the sudden its week 15 and we win the Gold ball!I dont think anyone was expecting to go 15 weeks as the #1 team and actually prove it at the end.Great memories of a great football team and an awesome time.That will never be taken away.Same as you girls who won the Gold the previous basketball season in 86-87. Edited by orngnblk

Orngnblk is always fun to talk with. You are knowledgeable, love your team and community, but practical at the same time. I know about The Nation very well. Again, Greenback will be a good team for east standards next season along with Coalfield, Oneida and Columbia Academy. Those should be the best teams in the east. As I said earlier, I've never seen the west in 1A quite so loaded as it will be in 2015. I wouldn't be surprised if the top 4-5 teams in 1A are from the west.