Riverdale throwing game

ecu

No matter what way you spin this it's bad for BOTH teams, Smyrna and Riverdale.  BOTH teams were involved in trying to lose at some point during the game, and BOTH teams deserve an equal amount of scrutiny.  Anyone singling out Riverdale is wrong, BOTH teams participated equally in this mockery, and BOTH should be held accountable.

The thing that makes me shake my head is ultimately you have to beat Blackman along the way anyhow, so why does losing on purpose to avoid them in the second round benefit you?   Hoping someone else can knock them off for you?  The likelihood of that is slim to none.  Not that I would agree with blatantly losing like this, but atleast I could see the "STRATEGY" argument, if by losing you could avoid Blackman until the State Tournament, but you can't, can you???  

Lastly, I wonder what the administrations of BOTH schools think of all this.  In my experience, most schools administrations (even up to the college level), care less about winning and more about image.  Since this has become very public at this point, I'm sure administrators at both schools will be discussing it.  

The thing that makes me shake my head is ultimately you have to beat Blackman along the way anyhow, so why does losing on purpose to avoid them in the second round benefit you? Hoping someone else can knock them off for you? The likelihood of that is slim to none. Not that I would agree with blatantly losing like this, but atleast I could see the "STRATEGY" argument, if by losing you could avoid Blackman until the State Tournament, but you can't, can you??

Top 2 teams in each region advance. If Riverdale can stay alive in the Regional by beating Tullahoma and Oakland, Riverdale could lose to Blackman in the Regional finals and still move forward in diffetent brackets. If they advanced far enough, they could play Blackman then again in the state championship. That is the strategy. Not the coaches fault the system is flawed. It is ridiculous 4 teams can advance out of a district in the first place. Coaches just took advantage of the cards dealt. There is a huge advantage being in the opposite bracket. Edited by WarriorFan

No matter what way you spin this it's bad for BOTH teams, Smyrna and Riverdale.  BOTH teams were involved in trying to lose at some point during the game, and BOTH teams deserve an equal amount of scrutiny.  Anyone singling out Riverdale is wrong, BOTH teams participated equally in this mockery, and BOTH should be held accountable.

The thing that makes me shake my head is ultimately you have to beat Blackman along the way anyhow, so why does losing on purpose to avoid them in the second round benefit you?   Hoping someone else can knock them off for you?  The likelihood of that is slim to none.  Not that I would agree with blatantly losing like this, but atleast I could see the "STRATEGY" argument, if by losing you could avoid Blackman until the State Tournament, but you can't, can you???  

Lastly, I wonder what the administrations of BOTH schools think of all this.  In my experience, most schools administrations (even up to the college level), care less about winning and more about image.  Since this has become very public at this point, I'm sure administrators at both schools will be discussing it.  

If you "avoid" Blackman until the championship game (assuming that Blackman is unbeatable), you can get TO the state tournament, and be placed in the opposite bracket there...the potential difference of being eliminated in the regional round, or the silver ball is substantial. I agree that it sends the wrong message to the team, but let's not diminish the "sportsmanship" aspect by acting as if it really makes no difference in the competitive advantage to advance either.

It makes no difference if two or four advance. I didnt hear of any coaches losing intentionally to avoid Elizabethton or any other team.

"Not the coaches fault the system is flawed" is a very poor argument. Keep trying.

After looking at the scores of Elizabethtown playing Happy Valley and Unicoi Co who were 3rd and 4th seeds in District 1-A, it does not appear either match up with Elizabethtown.  All 4 games were blowouts.  Riverdale was in both games with Blackman to the end and actually won 3 of 8 quarters played between the two games.  This isn't even the same situation.

Edited by WarriorFan

After looking at the scores of Elizabethtown playing Happy Valley and Unicoi Co who were 3rd and 4th seeds in District 1-A, it does not appear either match up with Elizabethtown. All 4 games were blowouts. Riverdale was in both games with Blackman to the end and actually won 3 of 8 quarters played between the two games. This isn't even the same situation.

So why avoid them?

GC made a good point. There have been teams that have threw games without being so blatant and making a mockery of the game that even though it happend it would be hard for TSSAA to prove it because it was done full speed. I haven't seen the video but if it is as bad as some are making it out I wouldn't be surprised if there are punishment.

GC made a good point. There have been teams that have threw games without being so blatant and making a mockery of the game that even though it happend it would be hard for TSSAA to prove it because it was done full speed. I haven't seen the video but if it is as bad as some are making it out I wouldn't be surprised if there are punishment.

So running a clock out and controlling a score isn't done by coaches in most every game? It can be done when you have a lead as well as being behind. There are no rules that say you cant. If you punish these coaches you have to punish every coach that has run 4 corners to control the game time and score. There are no rules saying you have to win or that you have to play to win every game. Who even said that winning every game is an effective outcome? Both coaches did what they thought would advance their team the furthest in the long run. If Smyrna was losing, I can assure you they would have done exactly what Riverdale did....they just knew they weren't gonna get Riverdale to score so in the end they placed their starters back in the game and ran the score up with 4 minutes left. Edited by WarriorFan