Enough of the CPA talk...They are NOT a SUPER team

nebuntyn

I wonder how many "transfers" DCA had when they won their title a few years ago? How is that pipeline a certain minster set up from Donelson Middle school working out over there. This guy is a clown arguing about other schools bringing kids in when your school is doing. I'm sure the coach at Goodpasture is not your friend or you wouldn't be on here making comments about him.

Talent follows talent and maybe kids want a coach who knows what they are doing and can help them achieve their goals, however big or small they are.

I completely agree why argue about transfers? It happens everywhere. Kids want a new school, coach, or change of scenery sometimes.

I've not made one negative comment about that coach. I like him, always have. He's a good guy and a good coach. He's trying to build a great program there and he's well on his way. He's also clearly using parts of the CPA model, which means focused involvement in the lower programs and getting kids excited about his program where they want to play for him.

I'm not really sure what your point is about DCA? All schools get transfers whether they are public or private. It's why the complaints about CPA are misguided IMHO.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many "transfers" DCA had when they won their title a few years ago? How is that pipeline a certain minster set up from Donelson Middle school working out over there. This guy is a clown arguing about other schools bringing kids in when your school is doing. I'm sure the coach at Goodpasture is not your friend or you wouldn't be on here making comments about him.

Talent follows talent and maybe kids want a coach who knows what they are doing and can help them achieve their goals, however big or small they are.

I completely agree why argue about transfers? It happens everywhere. Kids want a new school, coach, or change of scenery sometimes.

I've not made one negative comment about that coach. I like him, always have. He's a good guy and a good coach. He's trying to build a great program there and he's well on his way. He's also clearly using parts of the CPA model, which means focused involvement in the lower programs and getting kids excited about his program where they want to play for him.

I'm not really sure what your point is about DCA? All schools get transfers whether they are public or private. It's why the complaints about CPA are misguided IMHO.

The problem is that the "CPA model" you talk about is non-existant. He doesn't develop any talent through their early years programs. He simply identifies talent that other people have developed and then brings it together at a later date. None of the standout players he has had have been at CPA throughout their school years. EVERY SINGLE ONE of the standouts have been brought in later, many times through VERY questionable ways. Now granted, the role players around these standouts have been at CPA their whole lives, but not the stars. That hasn't happened since the Stone/Sykes days and that was under someone else's watch. That is the argument that bothers most people.

The resemblance to the Calipari/UK system of gathering players and out-athleting teams in uncanny. And also, like UK it can make you look really bad when you don't finish the job.

Plenty of athletic programs at CPA have had success. Only one program has NOT  followed the "CPA model" you refer to. Boys basketball.

And just a reminder, the state tournament team that your buddy had at GCS last year had only one starter that had not been at GCS since elementary school. Fact.

As far as DCA goes, that was obviously the same type deal as the Friendship Christian one big year in basketball. What did they have in common?

You are literally the ONLY person I've ever heard say that CPA model doesn't develop talent or isn't impressive. Their lower programs are outstanding.

For the record is our friend :

Heavily involved in the MS and lower programs?

Having those kids trained by good trainers?

Benefitting from impact transfers?

Those my friend are all facts. They are a testament to his talent and hard work. There's nothing wrong with any of it. BTW this is the "model" you deny exists.

You can't blast CPA and then ignore the obvious. If this were a lawsuit I would have just won on summary judgment. Lol

Tell me what did they have in common? I'm curious as to what you're referring to? If you'd rather call me that's fine. You know I'm a fan of yours and respect you. We go back a long time. :)

Edited by Playerscoach

If this were a lawsuit, there would be a lot of subpoenas issued!

Some of the questions would be; when you qualify for full financial aid at a DII school, who helped you with finances and allowed you to stay at CPA?

When and where was your first contact with Drew Maddux or any representative of CPA? I seriously doubt many if any "initial contacts" took place in the administrative offices at CPA. Initial contact rule Doug S, look that one up on the TSSAA website.

The big joke of the year is Drew Maddux falling all over himself making the real CPA kids feel good about themselves for hanging on the shirt tails of all the high profile players that have been brought in the last few years! What is it, 140 wins for this year's senior class? How many will it be for next year's seniors? Well at least Blackwell will be a senior next year.

Why doesn't Lipscomb play them in basketball anymore?

CPA is good, don't get me wrong, but the fact of the matter is West TN is the hot bed of basketball in Tennessee. It's a lifestyle in this part of the state, just like football is in Middle and East TN. You look back at all of the state champs and runner-ups the past 10 years and they are a majority West TN teams. Just like if you look back at football, they would be Middle and East. What separates West TN from CPA is they have 8 or 9 deep that play at a very high level, and CPA has 2-4 like that. Just my opinion.

You are literally the ONLY person I've ever heard say that CPA model doesn't develop talent or isn't impressive. Their lower programs are outstanding.

For the record is our friend :

Heavily involved in the MS and lower programs?

Having those kids trained by good trainers?

Benefitting from impact transfers?

Those my friend are all facts. They are a testament to his talent and hard work. There's nothing wrong with any of it. BTW this is the "model" you deny exists.

You can't blast CPA and then ignore the obvious. If this were a lawsuit I would have just won on summary judgment. Lol

Tell me what did they have in common? I'm curious as to what you're referring to? If you'd rather call me that's fine. You know I'm a fan of yours and respect you. We go back a long time. :)

For the record:

You can be heavily involved with the younger age groups all you want, but the fact remains that none of those kids are the reason they have won. The "transfers" have made the teams. Take Lindsey, Blackwell, Bonds, Mason, Alsmiller, Richard, Wharton, Campbell etc off those teams and they hardly strike fear in anyone.

Some of these "trainers" you talk about are a joke. One in particular lies so much in his little speech that it is laughable. I guess he figures nobody will remember the truth from 6-7 years ago.

You are spot on about benefiting from transfers. The difference is there was an entire starting line up at one school and one kid at the other.

There is plenty wrong with this if you are in Division 1. Go to D.2 and everyone will forget all about you. The trouble with that is that they will then be on an even playing field. Heck, they wouldn't play BA this year as it is. Why is that?

Your case has more holes than swiss cheese. I do not deny that he has a definite M.O. However, that is not a model in the sense that you think it is. Model of corruption? Maybe.

And to remind you. All cases can be appealed. Good to see you still try to use some of that Criminal Justice background. :popcorneater: However, you need to have more background on your case before you make a final argument. :rolleyes:

For the record:

You can be heavily involved with the younger age groups all you want, but the fact remains that none of those kids are the reason they have won. The "transfers" have made the teams. Take Lindsey, Blackwell, Bonds, Mason, Alsmiller, Richard, Wharton, Campbell etc off those teams and they hardly strike fear in anyone.

Some of these "trainers" you talk about are a joke. One in particular lies so much in his little speech that it is laughable. I guess he figures nobody will remember the truth from 6-7 years ago.

You are spot on about benefiting from transfers. The difference is there was an entire starting line up at one school and one kid at the other.

There is plenty wrong with this if you are in Division 1. Go to D.2 and everyone will forget all about you. The trouble with that is that they will then be on an even playing field. Heck, they wouldn't play BA this year as it is. Why is that?

Your case has more holes than swiss cheese. I do not deny that he has a definite M.O. However, that is not a model in the sense that you think it is. Model of corruption? Maybe.

And to remind you. All cases can be appealed. Good to see you still try to use some of that Criminal Justice background. :popcorneater: However, you need to have more background on your case before you make a final argument. :rolleyes:

It's a JD not a BS. :)

You're much older than me so I'll defer and agree to disagree. I have no dog in this hunt, just an informed opinion. Take care. See you soon.

It's a JD not a BS. :)

You're much older than me so I'll defer and agree to disagree. I have no dog in this hunt, just an informed opinion. Take care. See you soon.

Well, you might want to check your sources if someone is telling you that Maddux is developing talent from the current student body at CPA.  

That is what all other sports do, but Basketball is it's only little program, and does not follow the same pattern.  He is constantly on the hunt for new and upcoming talent through all the various AAU/Nike Elite/3 on 3 leagues, etc.  All other coaches focus on current students.  Other sports, when accused of recruiting can produce a roster, that shows the majority of Varsity players are long time CPA students.  BB cannot do that.  

There is a long history of talent coming into the school for BB over the years that Maddux has been there, Lindsey, Blackwell, Bonds, Mason, Alsmiller, Richard, Wharton, Campbell, Bradshaw, Ragsdale---all came in 8th grade or later.  Current and upcoming players know there are always plans for kids to come in.  There is already talk of a couple from BA  (they were actually invited to sit the bench for an inside look at one game) and possibly a kid from AZ.

He is known for his recruiting all over, and applauded for it by many.  Often that is the argument given when people talk about why he should be hired for various college coaching positions that open up.  UT being the most recent.  

KG, playerscoach, shouldn't you be on the girls soccer page instead of the boys basketball page? That way you would have a dog in the hunt. Still never answered my question about that Donelson Middle school pipeline a certain minister/coach set up over at DCA. Where did that model come from?