How do we control all the recruiting in public schools?

RonMexico3

Interesting, you seem to be contradicting the post right before yours. Just goes to show that all open zones need to have a multiplier added or they need to be in their own division.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, open zone schools can recruit students from the exact same footprint as private schools can.

Some people would make the arguement that since they can recruit from the same footprint they should be in the same division.

The student bodies as a whole are much different. Clearly there are exceptions on the high and low end of things but mutiplier schools shouldn't be winning over Division I publics at a 70 pct rate if that was not the case. That is bigger than open zoning public, unless it's a magnet the whole student body won't be open to come from wherever.

Some people would make the arguement that since they can recruit from the same footprint they should be in the same division.

Sounds good to me BigPurp, let's draw it up and submit it to the TSSAA. 

Full disclosure, I'm a private school guy so if we want the board to seriously consider this, it needs to come from a public school.

The student bodies as a whole are much different. Clearly there are exceptions on the high and low end of things but mutiplier schools shouldn't be winning over Division I publics at a 70 pct rate if that was not the case. That is bigger than open zoning public, unless it's a magnet the whole student body won't be open to come from wherever.

So your plan is to ignore all the advantages open zone schools have over closed zone schools?

What is the win percentage for open zone schools against closed zones?

Sounds good to me BigPurp, let's draw it up and submit it to the TSSAA.

Full disclosure, I'm a private school guy so if we want the board to seriously consider this, it needs to come from a public school.

I know you are a private school and I am not saying I agree or disagree. I have mixed feelings about all this stuff. Just playing devils advocate for a moment.

So your plan is to ignore all the advantages open zone schools have over closed zone schools?

What is the win percentage for open zone schools against closed zones?

Who knows. Whether a school is open zone or not would have to be submitted by each school to the TSSAA. We have seen what looked to be pretty easy solutions or redistricting turned out to be total messes so I wouldnt look for cut and dry results even if they did get the data. On top of that there are few Division I private schools that are not competitive. I am sure there is a wide range of success among Division I open zone publics.

Interesting, you seem to be contradicting the post right before yours. Just goes to show that all open zones need to have a multiplier added or they need to be in their own division.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again, open zone schools can recruit students from the exact same footprint as private schools can.

in theory but name a public school that has students from say 4 diffrent counties like say Knx Cath or CPA? Most open zone schools are like Macon. You have Macon County HS in Lafayette, RBS HS in Red Boiling Springs. Both have bus zones, but if you provide your own transperation, can go to either. Provided they have the space. With zoned kids getting the preference. You will never change how individual counties handle their school enrollments within their county. But we could use multipliers on schools bringing in student athletes from out of county. The private school issue is a bigger fish. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

we can debate this till we are blue in the face but facts are facts. TSSAA will never control what a county does within as far as open zoned or closed zoned of their schools. But raley will counties let other county residents come in and attend school much less multiple counties. Private schools playing the public schools, this is not the case at all. And makes a huge competitive advantage. I say let the private schools decide what they want and put them all together for the playoffs. I would go with 2 private divisions, a big and a small. Do some sort of multiplier to the ones that give schoolarships. In public, 4 classes. Do some sort of multiplier for the open zoned schools doing selective open zoning who have a above average precentage of athletes from out of zone. And in public, not allow out of county play unless parent is a teacher in that particular school. I would also do the one year sit for public schools just like the NCAA does to cut down on parents shopping their kids to the highest bidders.

The state of Tennessee will allow you to attend any county school of your choice  as long as you provide the transportation. The counties really don't have a choice in the matter as they are provided with state education money. If you look closely I think you will find that at some point Anderson County has had players from Scott Co, Knox Co, Campbell Co and Union Co. Oak Ridge as had players from Knox County, Roane Co, Claiborne Co etc. Maryville has had players from Knox Co, Loudon County, Sevier Co, etc.

"The state of Tennessee will allow you to attend any county school of your choice  as long as you provide the transportation. The counties really don't have a choice in the matter as they are provided with state education money". Not true at all! Its up to the county. Not all taxes for a school comes from the Feds or state, a big portion comes from the county themselves. Most counties don't let unapproved non-residents attend their schools.

The state of Tennessee will allow you to attend any county school of your choice  as long as you provide the transportation. The counties really don't have a choice in the matter as they are provided with state education money. If you look closely I think you will find that at some point Anderson County has had players from Scott Co, Knox Co, Campbell Co and Union Co. Oak Ridge as had players from Knox County, Roane Co, Claiborne Co etc. Maryville has had players from Knox Co, Loudon County, Sevier Co, etc.

You know not what you speak of.  Been many a kid sit out after transferring in Bedford County.  Even when everything was in order and TSSAA drug their feet approving kid.    Nick Batts back in 2008 transferred from Shelbyville to Cascade and sat out his whole senior season but got to play in the last playoff game.   Still would loved to of seen what he would of done.  He was a beast.