Week 0: Oakdale @ Oneida

crow

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking to each other is far better than to myself I guess. Oneida came out & laid an egg in the first half of this one last year. Oakdale was much improved & honestly I think last years Oneida team thought the eagles should've just phoned that game in. Well problem was Oakdale had other plans. That has really been etched into this teams mind since last season. I look for the usual week 0 (aka week 1) miscues for both teams but I expect to see a different mindset from the first horn this year. Got some hungry Indians on this squad!

I think last years game was that Oakdale had a better team across the Board than they ever had. I think their coaches had a good game plan and the kids fought their butts off enough to make this an interesting game for almost 3 quarters. Then Tony Lambert did what Tony Lambert does and they adjusted and the monster known as Oneida reared its ugly head. Oneida was no doubt the better team but it took an excellent coaching staff that Oneida has to make adjustments and get their kids motivated. That's what makes them good. Coaching is way more than planning practice and calling plays. The coaches at Oneida know how to adjust, motivate and most importantly, they know how to WIN. Oneida was not focused due the full week of homecoming activities and the fact that they watched Rockwood beat Oakdale really bad the week before.

Rudy you are correct about a lot of things in your post. However the biggest thing was the players mentality on both teams. Oakdale was a much better team than years past and they showed up to win. Oneida was a solid team but they thought they could half heartedly roll over Oakdale. I watched a coaching staff try all week to keep them focused and I saw the majority of the players walk around playing grab butt like they thought they were rock stars. I'm seeing a little different attitude from this group, got a few kids turning into leaders on this team that have the attitude to come to work every play, it's spread rapidly this off season also. They may not be world beaters but I expect them to come to work every play this week & every game for that matter. I like watching angry injuns play American rules tackle football :thumb:

Rudy you are correct about a lot of things in your post. However the biggest thing was the players mentality on both teams. Oakdale was a much better team than years past and they showed up to win. Oneida was a solid team but they thought they could half heartedly roll over Oakdale. I watched a coaching staff try all week to keep them focused and I saw the majority of the players walk around playing grab butt like they thought they were rock stars. I'm seeing a little different attitude from this group, got a few kids turning into leaders on this team that have the attitude to come to work every play, it's spread rapidly this off season also. They may not be world beaters but I expect them to come to work every play this week & every game for that matter. I like watching angry injuns play American rules tackle football :thumb:

Good post crow.I myself have seen this and it pays to be focused and ready or you will lose to those teams in which you should win.If Oneida,CHS,Harrimanand Greenback stay focused this yr we may see some of the best football in many many yrs.I am excited aboout the region.

Good post crow.I myself have seen this and it pays to be focused and ready or you will lose to those teams in which you should win.If Oneida,CHS,Harrimanand Greenback stay focused this yr we may see some of the best football in many many yrs.I am excited aboout the region.

Enjoy, I know you have a passion for great small town football. its gonna be a guantlet.

Coach Lambert won't leave anything to chance this week.  I expect the Tribe to roll because this early game sets the tone.  They will be workman-like in going after Oakdale.  If they get a big lead, which I anticipate happening, they will shut it down.  I don't think they have anything to gain by running it up, so they don't.  I'll predict this one early:   Oneida 38 Oakdale 7

Oakdale will score late on second unit.

Kazanity

5 for 5 and scoot a little field goal in there when Coach tries to work in the kicking game to build some confidence.  I'm flying blind going in Crow....I haven't been in attendance at any of the scrimmages or the Jamboree.  I'd like to think I got a feel for them but the truth is I'm going by what I believe is there.  Get my first gander of them Friday.  It will be an education.

Kazzy

You got me spooked Crow......DO WE EVEN HAVE A KICKER or are we gonna go for two every time.  :rolleyes:  Just one more of them "details" I'm going to have to explore.  Never thought to inquire with my sources because teams don't often go over parts of the kicking game in scrimmages.  I've always wondered why that is.....?  I KNOW WE GOT A HECK OF A PUNTER WHEN HE GETS THE BOOT ON IT....! :huh: 

Kaz