Oak Ridge at Dobyns-Bennett

hincke2000

Without football the band has no reason for being, not being unkind to any banders out there but that's just the fact.      Batman has a lot of insight into Kingsport and DB politics, and yes some of his statements are hard to believe but that doesn't change the facts.     With that being said though, you OR fans who have never seen DB's band are in for a treat.

One other thing, SweetScience keeps reminding me of Science Hill, it's hard to remember you're an OR fan

Actually, that is false.  Absurdly so.  Google "Benefits of Music Education" and in less than a minute you will find enough studies to fill an airport hangar documenting how students in music programs (not just band) perform significantly better in academics and or more prepared for life after high school.  Not to mention the all of those who make a career in music, either as a performer, teacher, or otherwise.  

I'm not saying music is the only extra-curricular that does this (athletics have their own benefits, as well), nor am I trying to hijack the thread.  But to say that football is the only reason that band exists is pure foolishness.

I'm biased in speaking anything about Dobyns-Bennett and also biased on any conversation relating to most of the football coaches.  I don't think state titles or any other trophy truly relate to whether or not a H.S. coach is doing their job.  I'd like to see a state title brought back to Kingsport, but I'm proud of all the kids that go out and try to do their best not just on Fridays, not just at practice, but in the hallways of their schools.  I believe the coaching staff try and ensure their players are doing what is right all the time. 

I'll preface my next statement by saying "sometimes you can't change stupid", but I believe our HC at DB does everything he can to mold these young men into being contributors not only to the football team, but to the school, their community as well as society in general.  You will rarely hear about most of the great things that Dobyns-Bennett football players do after H.S.  About how many of them are great fathers, excellent employees, supporters of the community.  You will however here about most of the bad things that happen to former players, just the fact that "bad news sells papers". 

I'm a believer in the football program, really I'm a believer in most any extra-curricular activity that gets young people doing something other than sitting at home or getting into trouble because they are bored.  I think that most extra-curricular activities not only coach/teach a skill, but I think they instill discipline, help to teach morals and honesty, and hardwork as well.

So to answer the question in short- I would not have made a H.C. change at DB if I were one of the Kingsport Powers that be solely based upon the playoff record over the last ten years. 

Edited by hincke2000

Actually, that is false.  Absurdly so.  Google "Benefits of Music Education" and in less than a minute you will find enough studies to fill an airport hangar documenting how students in music programs (not just band) perform significantly better in academics and or more prepared for life after high school.  Not to mention the all of those who make a career in music, either as a performer, teacher, or otherwise.  

I'm not saying music is the only extra-curricular that does this (athletics have their own benefits, as well), nor am I trying to hijack the thread.  But to say that football is the only reason that band exists is pure foolishness.

Vol, I totally see your point, basically I was just saying that you can have a football team without a band but not too many high schools have a band but no football team.       I sometimes wish I had played in the HS band in some capacity though, I love HS band music.         DB plays a very cool little diddy after evey score.     Sevier County plays the school song (???) after every first down, some think that's annoying but I kinda like it.      Does that help?

Last Friday DB played a flawless game in relation to penalties and TO's

And that was having to contend with first game jitters. They should have at least had a few false starts but they didn't, I was very impressed with the team discipline in that regard.

I can't see why penalties would be a problem against the Wild Atomic Cats

This is one of the most impressive stats to me for a D-B team. Discipline like this has almost been unheard of for the Indians and if they can keep it up consistently will serve them very well.

Actually, that is false. Absurdly so. Google "Benefits of Music Education" and in less than a minute you will find enough studies to fill an airport hangar documenting how students in music programs (not just band) perform significantly better in academics and or more prepared for life after high school. Not to mention the all of those who make a career in music, either as a performer, teacher, or otherwise.

I'm not saying music is the only extra-curricular that does this (athletics have their own benefits, as well), nor am I trying to hijack the thread. But to say that football is the only reason that band exists is pure foolishness.

Uh oh you pi$$ed off a band parent. Lol

Without football the band has no reason for being, not being unkind to any banders out there but that's just the fact. Batman has a lot of insight into Kingsport and DB politics, and yes some of his statements are hard to believe but that doesn't change the facts. With that being said though, you OR fans who have never seen DB's band are in for a treat.

One other thing, SweetScience keeps reminding me of Science Hill, it's hard to remember you're an OR fan

That's one of the most foolish statements I've ever seen on the T - and I'm not a band parent. Football Friday nights are fun for the bands but it is far from being the central focus of their existence.

Well aware of why your biased but it wouldn't take much to figure out that some adjustments need to be made if DB wants to win a championship.They are weak as a team and the staff is not on board from the top down to correct it.A weak team will get their azz handed to them if all else is the same.

" Powers that be".If you were in a position to hire and fire DB's AD and coaching staff for the sole purpose of winning a football championship because it was first and foremost to the city of Kingsport.Would you have made any changes looking at the last ten years.6 -3-1 in the playoffs.6 first round defeats,3 second round defeats and 2012 third round loss.. My meaning about the OR coaches wanting it more was not because they care more but because of less job security.DB has some great coaches and if three or four had been given a chance they could lead their own program very well.The staff is not perfect however .Nomatter how hard some try in things like weight training,an anchor or two will pull them back.You can't have a coach on your staff that says football is not a squating or benchpress competition and he would not let them bench if he were the head coach

Carey Daniels is an amazing AD for Dobyns-Bennett - if anyone thinks differently, their ignorant of the Job and work put in and the results of the Sports Programs 

That's one of the most foolish statements I've ever seen on the T - and I'm not a band parent. Football Friday nights are fun for the bands but it is far from being the central focus of their existence.

No....  there are high schools with a football team and no band but not many with a  band but no football team.       I am not discounting learning music and all the stuff that goes with being in a band (discipline, working together, following a leader, etc.)        I actually love HS bands, they are a part of the whole game experience.       Went to a NFL game once, there was no band and I missed that aspect of football.

The point is in the first sentence, HS bands don't generally exist apart from football

No....  there are high schools with a football team and no band but not many with a  band but no football team.       I am not discounting learning music and all the stuff that goes with being in a band (discipline, working together, following a leader, etc.)        I actually love HS bands, they are a part of the whole game experience.       Went to a NFL game once, there was no band and I missed that aspect of football.

The point is in the first sentence, HS bands don't generally exist apart from football

Blazer,at that NFL game you went to.What seats were the cheapest.Was it the ones down close to the field where you could see the players and game real good or the ones way the hail up in the upper deck.I just wonder if it's the same as high school.