TSSAA Proposal Changes?

mrbigster

The small number of DII schools now does limit the market but if you expanded that to all privates it would have a dramatic effect, particularly in and around the urban centers.  The privates would rule all but the rural areas and therefore the state as a whole. It wouldn't happen over night but it would happen.

And we still don't care, its not like any of us school's who are playing these privates are televised every week. They would have to change their mission and I'm not so sure many want to go that route. They just want to stay small and bully the small rural schools.  This is not a big school issue anyway.

This is what happens other places.  This is from a public private althletics study.  I am a public guy by the way.

"Let me paint the worst-case scenario for you: If it passes and the nonpublic schools are kicked out of the normal tournament structure and are just playing other private schools, private schools could certainly withdraw from the association and form their own association. We are worried that would happen, because there have already been many private schools that said they would support a new association. If the private schools Journal of Amateur Sport Volume One, Issue One Johnson et al., 2015 41 form their own association, they will have their own bylaws, their own regulations, their own everything. So then we're competing for officials, we're competing for tournament sites, we're competing for all kinds of things. Perhaps the deepest repercussion would be if that potential association of nonpublic schools establishes bylaws that allow for recruiting. We could do nothing about it, because they would have their own association... So, essentially, public school kids could be aggressively recruited by private schools." (Popke, 2012, para.19)

Edited by rikberry

This is what happens other places.  This is from a public private althletics study.  I am a public guy by the way.

"Let me paint the worst-case scenario for you: If it passes and the nonpublic schools are kicked out of the normal tournament structure and are just playing other private schools, private schools could certainly withdraw from the association and form their own association. We are worried that would happen, because there have already been many private schools that said they would support a new association. If the private schools Journal of Amateur Sport Volume One, Issue One Johnson et al., 2015 41 form their own association, they will have their own bylaws, their own regulations, their own everything. So then we're competing for officials, we're competing for tournament sites, we're competing for all kinds of things. Perhaps the deepest repercussion would be if that potential association of nonpublic schools establishes bylaws that allow for recruiting. We could do nothing about it, because they would have their own association... So, essentially, public school kids could be aggressively recruited by private schools." (Popke, 2012, para.19)

Wonder why this didn't happen when they split the big boys. They don't have room for all the kids,You only have 11 starters on both sides of the ball. Who wants to go to a powerhouse and sit the bench.

Wonder why this didn't happen when they split the big boys. They don't have room for all the kids,You only have 11 starters on both sides of the ball. Who wants to go to a powerhouse and sit the bench.

There aint enough of them to form a competing association yet.  If you put all the privates out they will.  Hey I really don't care myself my days are over but don't complain (like many are now other places) when you get what you want. Do your homework before you buy in.

There aint enough of them to form a competing association yet.  If you put all the privates out they will.  Hey I really don't care myself my days are over but don't complain (like many are now other places) when you get what you want. Do your homework before you buy in.

Why would they wait for someone to kick um out. If they wanted to do that,they would have already done it. These are small Christian schools,they DO NOT want to change that.

It would be their option. I'm sure they would.

When the publics and privates are in separate associations they many times don't play in the regular season.  Some states have or used to have a Public vs. Private championship but not so many anymore because it usually became a very one-side affair. Most studies find that the best way to maintain competitive balance is to keep the publics and privates together and use some type of multiplier or the latest trend is to move classification based on post season success.  I personally think this sort of idea should be applied to public and private alike. If you dominate one class then you are move up, if you can't compete you are moved down.  That would be interesting

Why would they wait for someone to kick um out. If they wanted to do that,they would have already done it. These are small Christian schools,they DO NOT want to change that.

Your probably right if the they are not forced they would remain as they are.  But if forced they would do something different in order to survive.  And once ambitious coaches and athletes in the public sector saw the "advantages" that private association making its own rules could offer you would see many jump.

Imagine if the SEC expanded to 30 teams and split from the NCAA, and allowed top players to be paid 6 figures (They could afford it), ignored NCAA transfer rules, and went after all the top athletes of the NCAA schools. They could probably compete with the NFL in a few years.

Edited by rikberry