R'dale vs Hillsboro.....

Lost Old Dad

Maybe their all is just not enough. Number of the players during Rankin that played college ball, number of players that played college ball during Aydelott. Is there a difference? Players go to college and play from winning teams and losing teams. Coaches get way too much credit and blame. Rankin - credit, Aydelott- blame.

A lot has to do with building a rapport with your players also. Rankin, as hardcore as he is, he has always seemed to have players that would run through a brick wall for him. Whereas Aydelott just tries to be hardcore and his players would rather push him into that brick wall. Not to mention what the parents of the players would like to do or say to him, but then that would be taken out on their son and cost him playing time. I've seen this first hand.

Runtheball you are correct. As a defensive coach I am going into Week 4 (4 different teams)and basically defending the same formations and sets of plays. The 4 teams we play call themselves spread but they are really just I teams. They run Power, counter, zone, trap, sweep. The advantage to the spread over the I is they have athletic QB to run read stuff off the plays. Everyone is in love with the spread right now but it kind of makes my job easier seeing it every week our kids get better at defending it by seeing it EVERY week.

Well I love it when we play against a WingT team . The only WingT teams to give Maryville a good game are the ones with a lot more Talent / Athleticism than Maryville has . Teams have to be versatile in 6A Ball , I know you'll say you can Pass out of the WingT , but most teams running the WingT are pretty one dimensional . 

Pepvol, just because you are spread doesn't mean you are versitale. Again will tell you many of the spread teams we play do not scare you throwing the football and are just spreading you to try and create running lanes. Look at the state champions last year and see the number of times each three the football compared to the number of times they ran in. Even Maryville is a run dominate team.

A lot has to do with building a rapport with your players also. Rankin, as hardcore as he is, he has always seemed to have players that would run through a brick wall for him. Whereas Aydelott just tries to be hardcore and his players would rather push him into that brick wall. Not to mention what the parents of the players would like to do or say to him, but then that would be taken out on their son and cost him playing time. I've seen this first hand.

If Riverdale was winning no one would care how coach A coached or how he is said to treat players. weight room,off season, spring drills, or anything else would matter if they were winning. Nobody will still answer the question. How many college players played under Rankin and how many under coach A. Talent is talent, regardless of weight room,scheme ,or anything else. Being in the weight room helps, but is one of many ingredients to make a player better. Just someone answer the question. Three different coaches have been to the state finals at Hillsboro and they were all different in coaching. What was the one thing they all had in common?

It always amazes me when people who have never seen this program play in years want to put in their two cents on this program. Those of us that have been there year after year fro the past 20 years have seen first hand the continual slide of this program. Yes, your going to have years when you have that special kid that can launch a program into the playoffs but in the days gone by this team didint have to rely on that. The delevoped their players year after year. Now we have gotten to the point where players dont even want to play for this coach. When you have players in the school not playing who are better than the kids on the field there is a deeper problem. Example, when your relying on a freshman kicker who cant kick the ball 20 yards on kick offs or fieldgoals when you have kids in the school who can kick from 40 you have to ask why? You cant blame the lack of depth on rezoning when youve got players who played in 9th and 10th but are now not playing for this coach. And contrary to popular belief its not about Rankin. Its about the program. The current coach cant seem to grasp the concept of building the program and wants to blame the players. if you want to hear his lack of concern, go to wgns radio website and listen to his coaches podcast from saturday morning and tell me that sounds like a coach whos taking responsiblity.

Edited by warrior82dad

If Riverdale was winning no one would care how coach A coached or how he is said to treat players. weight room,off season, spring drills, or anything else would matter if they were winning. Nobody will still answer the question. How many college players played under Rankin and how many under coach A. Talent is talent, regardless of weight room,scheme ,or anything else. Being in the weight room helps, but is one of many ingredients to make a player better. Just someone answer the question. Three different coaches have been to the state finals at Hillsboro and they were all different in coaching. What was the one thing they all had in common?

Rankin left Aydelott a team loaded with numbers and talent.  One of the early Aydelott years I think all five starting OL went on the the next level (If I recall, 3 of those went D1).  The players have just left the program and what's left is managed through some kind of caste system that doesn't put performance first.

Hardtackle, for the third time I'll ask...what was your impression of these games based on what you saw at the games?    

Rankin left Aydelott a team loaded with numbers and talent.  One of the early Aydelott years I think all five starting OL went on the the next level (If I recall, 3 of those went D1).  The players have just left the program and what's left is managed through some kind of caste system that doesn't put performance first.

Hardtackle, for the third time I'll ask...what was your impression of these games based on what you saw at the games?

Its hard to give an impression when all you saw was undisciplined, undersized, lack of depth, unconditioned warn out players. But I also have a question. Why if you were down by 4 touchdowns and the only real way you had to get back in the game was to pass would you take out a passer who had two deep balls for TD's in the last game and who is a proven pro style passing QB and replace him with a back up who is not a good passer? What point was he trying to prove? When your on the 5 with two minutes to go and you wont call time out to give these kids an opportunity to score for at least their self respect something is very wrong.

If Riverdale was winning no one would care how coach A coached or how he is said to treat players. weight room,off season, spring drills, or anything else would matter if they were winning.

This shows your lack of knowledge on the subject. In 2009, when Riverdale played in the semi finals and "winning", people couldn't stand the way he ran the program then as well as his whole demeanor and lack of people skills. This was also a time in which there were still 80-100 kids on the team, but he's gonna play 6-8 kids both ways and the 2's would only see the field in the last 3 minutes if lucky. Failure to get the backups ready to play. He only needs a roster of about 25 kids anyway, since that's the most he'll ever play in a season.

This shows your lack of knowledge on the subject. In 2009, when Riverdale played in the semi finals and "winning", people couldn't stand the way he ran the program then as well as his whole demeanor and lack of people skills. This was also a time in which there were still 80-100 kids on the team, but he's gonna play 6-8 kids both ways and the 2's would only see the field in the last 3 minutes if lucky. Failure to get the backups ready to play. He only needs a roster of about 25 kids anyway, since that's the most he'll ever play in a season.

It is obvious to me that nothing can be said on here to change opinions on coach A. As I said earlier ,I do not know him or have I seen a game. My first question was what does negative talk on this message board do to help Riverdale football. I have only made comments to get you to think. I could care less if coach A gets fired,runoff or quits. Nothing is going to change your minds so I suggest you get him fired and get a coach who fits what you want. I have not seen a game and will not see a game. Only then will you realize things. I am sure that many on here would also think Nick Saben could take the present Vanderbilt team and win the SEC. As one poster said earlier there are many IF's. So you can only hope and think that Rankin would do better,that is a huge if. He did leave for reasons other than talent was fixing to go down and the addition of more schools. 

It is obvious to me that nothing can be said on here to change opinions on coach A. As I said earlier ,I do not know him or have I seen a game. My first question was what does negative talk on this message board do to help Riverdale football. I have only made comments to get you to think. I could care less if coach A gets fired,runoff or quits. Nothing is going to change your minds so I suggest you get him fired and get a coach who fits what you want. I have not seen a game and will not see a game. Only then will you realize things. I am sure that many on here would also think Nick Saben could take the present Vanderbilt team and win the SEC. As one poster said earlier there are many IF's. So you can only hope and think that Rankin would do better,that is a huge if. He did leave for reasons other than talent was fixing to go down and the addition of more schools. 

No Saban could not do that! But they would be a better team if he was at the helm! I watched a program where I lived that had 7 d-1 players on it and that under achieved. Coaching and I mean good coaching means more then most people think or assume. The table was set but the next coach threw it all out the window and did his own thing and it had negative results. Instead of throwing his ego out the window and slowing making the changes it has cost him. One thing I always remember coach Rankin saying to the players "you stick with me i will stick with you"GO WARRIORS! Best wishes the rest of the way!!

Edited by warhawks