Bradley Central 4-2 (1-2) @ the Fred. Dobyns-Bennett 4-2 (2-1)

Indian423

Yeah I was just tweaking the DB faithful a little. However her is a real solution:

There is talk about a new high school in Sullivan County, I think Kingsport should consider un-annexing some areas near that school to drop enough students to get DB down to 5A. That means they would have to drop about 600-700 students, but as long as they were regular students (non-athletes and non-band) then it would still work. DB would have a shot at the gold ball playing in 5A.

Maryville is a 5A school playing up right now.Alcoa is 3A, Fulton is 4A.At some point you just have to have the right system from the ground up to take the talent from Kingsport and be competitive like they were years gone by.DB has some fine players as well as coaches but if any part of that staff or the coaching from the little guys on up to high school is not up to par, then the results are what you just got.

Maryville is a 5A school playing up right now.Alcoa is 3A, Fulton is 4A.At some point you just have to have the right system from the ground up to take the talent from Kingsport and be competitive like they were years gone by.DB has some fine players as well as coaches but if any part of that staff or the coaching from the little guys on up to high school is not up to par, then the results are what you just got.

Very well put Batman.    It's just that I do not see DB beating Maryville EVER.    And nobody else on this end of the state is going to do it either.    In 5A DB could be very competitive.      Just went back and looked at the numbers, DB is the 8th largest high school in the state, but would only have to drop a little over 400 students to move down to 5A.   Surely there are 400 expendable pawns who would take the hit for the good of the whole.    BTW, Science Hill is in the same boat, they are the 7th largest school, but would still only need to drop a little over 400 to move down.

That's my point.DB needs to start with the peewee program and fix it from the ground up.Put in a weight training program in middle school like one of the coaches wants.Not have any smart remarks by any high school staff members about it either.That way you don't have 9th graders that know nothing when they get to high school.Turn some coaches loose that actually know what they are doing in the weight room.I'd like to see four or five of the DB staff with some adjustments take this team and turn it into something like that Halls team several years ago.Almost forgot on a personal note.NO, everything is right where it needs to be and you can thank a couple of coaches for me.

Edited by BatmanDB

That's my point.DB needs to start with the peewee program and fix it from the ground up.Put in a weight training program in middle school like one of the coaches wants.Not have any smart remarks by any high school staff members about it either.That way you don't have 9th graders that know nothing when they get to high school.Turn some coaches loose that actually know what they are doing in the weight room.I'd like to see four or five of the DB staff with some adjustments take this team and turn it into something like that Halls team several years ago.Almost forgot on a personal note.NO, everything is right where it needs to be and you can thank a couple of coaches for me.

Just what people have been saying for the past 10 years. It will never happen in Kingsport. Even after getting waxed by Maryville (could of been 100-0) they still think their doing everything right.

You're right, Kingsport has become complacent over the years, happy as a clam to stomp all the Tri-cities teams and reel off the 9-1 or 10-0 seasons.     But on the other hand, DB is nowhere near Maryville's level but they have gotten some quality wins this year over non-Tri-cities opponents, so they are headed in the right direction.

Very well put Batman. It's just that I do not see DB beating Maryville EVER. And nobody else on this end of the state is going to do it either. In 5A DB could be very competitive. Just went back and looked at the numbers, DB is the 8th largest high school in the state, but would only have to drop a little over 400 students to move down to 5A. Surely there are 400 expendable pawns who would take the hit for the good of the whole. BTW, Science Hill is in the same boat, they are the 7th largest school, but would still only need to drop a little over 400 to move down.

There are around 300 "pawns" who are city residents now going to North and South. If the rezoning from the new high school construction forces them into city schools then DB gets bigger and bigger.

DB might score some serious points, but don't be too sure this is a complete runaway.  You'd think after being beat down by Maryville like everybody else, DB might realize they're not so special.  49-0 in the second quarter? UGH! You'll have your hands full with BC's QB if it's a dry night.  After what I saw on TV the other night, it won't be too hard to run by those defensive backs. DB has a late score and wins 41-20.

Bradley has a first year DC who has really done well for the most part. Friday Night is the first time we have seen busts like that. So don't depend on that, as I heard him on the sidelines Friday night. He is not a quiet guy. lolol

Offensively, Bradley HAS to get aggressive and STAY that way. Copeland is a very good QB, and can run and throw. But we can't keep trying to live on what we did Friday night. Bubble Screen and sideline passes are now being jumped on by everyone at every level. We have to go down the field and play to our strength's: Strong Arm and ability to run out of trouble. When that happens our backs become weapons and the receivers are dangerous.

Bradley is no doubt the underdog in this, but the Bears will show up and play hard. IF you do that there is a chance... except maybe against Maryville. :)

Now my biggest question of the week... Do I make the 7 hour round trip or not.....

Bradley has a first year DC who has really done well for the most part. Friday Night is the first time we have seen busts like that. So don't depend on that, as I heard him on the sidelines Friday night. He is not a quiet guy. lolol

Offensively, Bradley HAS to get aggressive and STAY that way. Copeland is a very good QB, and can run and throw. But we can't keep trying to live on what we did Friday night. Bubble Screen and sideline passes are now being jumped on by everyone at every level. We have to go down the field and play to our strength's: Strong Arm and ability to run out of trouble. When that happens our backs become weapons and the receivers are dangerous.

Bradley is no doubt the underdog in this, but the Bears will show up and play hard. IF you do that there is a chance... except maybe against Maryville. :)

Now my biggest question of the week... Do I make the 7 hour round trip or not.....

beautiful stadium and 400 member band, make the trip, support Da Bears! 😀

Very well put Batman.    It's just that I do not see DB beating Maryville EVER.    And nobody else on this end of the state is going to do it either.    In 5A DB could be very competitive.      Just went back and looked at the numbers, DB is the 8th largest high school in the state, but would only have to drop a little over 400 students to move down to 5A.   Surely there are 400 expendable pawns who would take the hit for the good of the whole.    BTW, Science Hill is in the same boat, they are the 7th largest school, but would still only need to drop a little over 400 to move down.

Geessh. We are the only school within 80 miles in the Super 32 and I think were ranked 17th largest. Even if we dropped in population,  students would just move to Walker Valley or Cleveland, and if Walker Valley they would just move to the Super 32 with us. Cleveland might stay 5A.

The rest of the schools in our region are in better shape, but we are screwed on travel. Science Hill only brought probably 500 and no band. Bearden, (and I understand about the weather) maybe 100. Neither brought bands. I have no clue about how Hardin Valley travels, but I don't expect a big crowd there, nor with William Blount. The years we were in the Knoxville Region in 5A none of those teams we played brought big crowds, except maybe Oak Ridge and Farragut.

I don't mind the competition, because I think we are competitive with everyone except maybe Maryville. (But then who really is?) I just hate have to make decisions about taking off work and such arrangements to support my team because of simply ridiculous travel distance. The TSSAA was trying to satisfy the smaller schools (so they don't have to compete with larger schools), so they basically hung us out to dry.

Geessh. We are the only school within 80 miles in the Super 32 and I think were ranked 17th largest. Even if we dropped in population, students would just move to Walker Valley or Cleveland, and if Walker Valley they would just move to the Super 32 with us. Cleveland might stay 5A.

The rest of the schools in our region are in better shape, but we are screwed on travel. Science Hill only brought probably 500 and no band. Bearden, (and I understand about the weather) maybe 100. Neither brought bands. I have no clue about how Hardin Valley travels, but I don't expect a big crowd there, nor with William Blount. The years we were in the Knoxville Region in 5A none of those teams we played brought big crowds, except maybe Oak Ridge and Farragut.

I don't mind the competition, because I think we are competitive with everyone except maybe Maryville. (But then who really is?) I just hate have to make decisions about taking off work and such arrangements to support my team because of simply ridiculous travel distance. The TSSAA was trying to satisfy the smaller schools (so they don't have to compete with larger schools), so they basically hung us out to dry.

Walker Valley might have to if it stays like it is. It's a border school and draws kids from Calhoun and Meigs county. Plus their band continues to grow. But that doesn't help them athletically. It is a very good school all around though.