Winless team in playoffs possible, Thoughts?

hardtackle

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One small group, 32 of about 310 in Division I, were helped by an automatic playoff berth. They already are helped enough.

If you read through this thread ... not everybody considers the automatic bid to be "help". There are those who actually think of it as a curse.

However, it is easy for a blind man to see that you have another agenda altogether.

Edited by kwc

Okay. Fair placement and class cut-offsand you would have had no chance for winless teams to make the postseason. Even if such a team would likely be smashed, it's an opportunity some 4-6, 5-5 teams in competitive regions in the 5 other classes may not get.

Edited by Indian

Okay. Fair placement and class cut-offsand you would have had no chance for winless teams to make the postseason. Even if such a team would likely be smashed, it's an opportunity some 4-6, 5-5 teams in competitive regions in the 5 other classes may not get.

As long as their placement isn't done subjectively ... which is something you can't measure. Who determines what a competitive region is? That's my big concern. That is WAY too subjective. You're "COMPETITVE" region could be my "CUPCAKE" region ... and vice versa.

There is no way to quantify that ... I don't care HOW you examine it. It's all subjective.

Just let the 0-11 teams play ... it removes ALL SUBJECTIVITY.

Edited by kwc

As long as their placement isn't done subjectively ... which is something you can't measure. Who determines what a competitive region is? That's my big concern. That is WAY too subjective. You're "COMPETITVE" region could be my "CUPCAKE" region ... and vice versa.

There is no way to quantify that ... I don't care HOW you examine it. It's all subjective.

Just let the 0-11 teams play ... it removes ALL SUBJECTIVITY.

If they are gonna let the 32 do it,then i agree let all the teams that dont deserve it all play!

This is really tricky. You can't let every team in all classifications in the playoffs or the season would be too long. As stated, no plan will ever make everyone happy. With that said, I believe this is about the best way to do it, other than perhaps going to 5 classes with the same format, but then you have the bottom of 5A stating they can't compete with 2000+ student schools.

I certainly see the point that an 0-10 team shouldn't be "awarded" an opportunity to get smashed and play 11 games, but can't the same be said for 3-7 or 4-6 team from a weak region playing a top seed from a strong region. I am CERTAIN there will be better teams sitting out the first week of the playoffs than some that get in. There's just not a perfect way to do it.

Everyone knows the requirements at the beginning of the season, so I suggest everyone just pull up their jocks and play ball.

Edited by eers

This is really tricky. You can't let every team in all classifications in the playoffs or the season would be too long. As stated, no plan will ever make everyone happy. With that said, I believe this is about the best way to do it, other than perhaps going to 5 classes with the same format, but then you have the bottom of 5A stating they can't compete with 2000+ student schools.

I certainly see the point that an 0-10 team shouldn't be "awarded" an opportunity to get smashed and play 11 games, but can't the same be said for 3-7 or 4-6 team from a weak region playing a top seed from a strong region. I am CERTAIN there will be better teams sitting out the first week of the playoffs than some that get in. There's just not a perfect way to do it.

Everyone knows the requirements at the beginning of the season, so I suggest everyone just pull up their jocks and play ball.

Co-sign.

Edited by kwc

All I am saying is that your enrollment should not dictate whether or not you get a post season. Your play during the season should. If you have a competitive region/district then you know what you have to do to get in at the beginning of the season as well. If you play in one that is not as competitive then that is what out of region/district games are for, to prepare for the post season and guage where you are at. Handing out trophies NEVER helped anybody. It's a joke and everybody knows it! It's all about money plain and simple. Sick of the T$$AA!!