Winless team in playoffs possible, Thoughts?

hardtackle

I would think it kinda waters down the field, plus making the playoffs should be an earned reward IMO, not suggesting I am right or wrong, just how I see it.....

This is EXACTLY what i think!We have all missed because we werent good enough.Why should a terrible team be rewarded??Every kid would love to play an extra game and i understand that,but the playoffs are earned by winning!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will have to play in the playoffs if you are 6A. There will be no forfeiting. The T$$AA won't allow that and it wouldn't be fair to other teams that do have to play. My suggestion is that you put on your big boy panties and figure out what is wrong with your program, coaches, athletic department, etc. Consistent losing is no fun for anyone. Everyone (except Maryville) goes through a losing season once in a while.

Do your best and go down in flames. BUT NEVER GIVE UP! Best of luck to every team the rest of the year. 

I'm in the heavy minority, but I really don't think this is a big deal.

Everyone already makes the playoffs in the other sports, The only difference here is that it's only in one classification, which magnifies the travel expense aspect of the whole deal (which I will admit is a significant issue at some places).

But these so called "purists" getting on their soap boxes on here about the competitive integrity of the system are doing more mouth breathing than anything.

This is a bad system of doing things when you hand out rewards for those who do not earn it. Like someone else said, it would have been better to have 48 teams. This whole mess of a losing team opting to not have the travel expense to play in a no competitive matchup has been discussed at least 2 other times on here. Reality comes with a 0-11 and a $1000+ price tag to travel for your beat down.

48 would have dropped it to Rossview at 1497. 1500+ schools shouldn't be outmatched just due to school size.

Another problem, this is the only one of 6 classes with this automatic playoff reward.

It would have helped out Bradley since McMinn, Rhea, and Walker Valley would be in their region. As it is now they are very isolated.

Edited by Indian

Even better, could have had an equal split of about 52 teams each in 6 classes, the highest class shouldn't get a break of an automatic playoff berth plus it makes it slightly tougher with more teams in the 5 lower classes.

Exactly how I feel. To me the Z plan was a very exciting way and could have been tweaked. All this did was make the smaller classes way more competitive, especially when you give those that were in the top 32 an option to move down. Spread the classes out evenly or just switch back to 5 classes..

This thread is actually a fun interesting read.

There are complaints, opinions, perspectives, and stances that have a lot of merit and should be taken into consideration. You have opposing lines of thinking on a particular area of concern because the personalities that are voicing their thoughts on the matter are looking at things from a different perspective then others. Then you have those individuals who think that the game should be played a certain kind of way ... and anything that doesn't comply with the way they were brought up to think about the game, is wrong. There are points of view that come from one traditional background. There other points of view that come from other traditional backgrounds. One person thinks that their traditional background trumps another person's traditional background.

On and on it goes. As I read these POV's and interesting stances, and emphasis of dialogue on differing agenda's and beliefs ... ONE THING is abundantly clear.

There is no perfect system. There is no magic cut-off number when it comes to the size and population of student attendance. There is no plan that will appease the majority.

For every PRO ... there is a CON. And vice versa.

Quite frankly, I think the TSSAA will never WIN in this regard. Too many folks with differeing opinions ... there is no unity of thought on this topic. You would be doing good if you could get 35% agreement. 

I only have one area of concern. It is the one thing I focus upon when this topic is broached.

REMOVE SUBJECTIVITY when selecting who makes it into the playoffs. I don't care about anything else. If that means every teams makes it into the playoff ... then so be it.

NO SELCTION COMMITTEES WHATSOEVER!

Other then that ... I'm good.

Edited by kwc