Winless team in playoffs possible, Thoughts?

hardtackle

If it was me, I would have 5 classes. Because of a huge disparity in school sizes, 5-A would have the largest 32 with the top 16 going to the playoffs. Equally divide the other 4 classes. There should not be any trouble with travel concerns that way. You could even go to 16 districts with the top 2 qualifying. That would be my choice. However 5 classes evenly divided would be fine as well.

If you drop to 5 classifications, and keep the Super 32 as 5A ball you still have the exact same travel issue for them, as there is now. Changing the number of teams in the playoffs only lets the worst teams off the hook in the playoffs, not regular season.

For Example the student population does not change and Bradley's closest Region opponent would still be 75 miles away to the furthest at 190 Miles (one way distance).

The only way to fix the travel is go back to 5 classes, and set districts by reasonable location boundaries, and not be so worried about the "biggest". I know none of the 5A schools around us now would worry about playing us because of our student populations.

Then cut back the playoff teams to the District winner and maybe runner up. If you want a chance at the Gold Ball, just win. When Bradley won in 1976, that was what we did. Only teams that went into the playoff was the District Champion back then.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you drop to 5 classifications, and keep the Super 32 as 5A ball you still have the exact same travel issue for them, as there is now. Changing the number of teams in the playoffs only lets the worst teams off the hook in the playoffs, not regular season.

For Example the student population does not change and Bradley's closest Region opponent would still be 75 miles away to the furthest at 190 Miles (one way distance).

The only way to fix the travel is go back to 5 classes, and set districts by reasonable location boundaries, and not be so worried about the "biggest". I know none of the 5A schools around us now would worry about playing us because of our student populations.

Then cut back the playoff teams to the District winner and maybe runner up. If you want a chance at the Gold Ball, just win. When Bradley won in 1976, that was what we did. Only teams that went into the playoff was the District Champion back then.

Agree however, travel for large schools was never an issue. It was the smaller schools with less money that complained about the travel costs. Unfortunately Bradley is just in an unfortunate location just like Henry Co. Things you have no control over but have to deal with.

Would you feel that way if you had Maryville in your district?

different teams different years not consitantly every year. One thing that seems consistent in your argument is that WB wasn't good enough to make it. Not once have I said your region wasn't good. You seem to only want what benefits WB, by judging by your arguments, and not what is best for Tennessee football and the others involved as a whole. That is where you lose the argument. Nothing I said has been beneficial to the team I support more of a fair statement for all not involved in this "hand me an extra game" mentality. It's all about money. And just so nobody gets the wrong idea WB does not deserve to go the postseason right now and neither does Gallatin!!!

No you are wrong. I am not only thinking about WB. I'm making a point that no matter how you do a system its never going to be fair for everyone involved. Frankly, I don't care what the TSSAA does.

I think it's funny that the older guys think they had a harder time making the playoffs. Back in those days unathletic white guys were all-stars. You didn't have everyone in weight training, going to training camps, taking supplements etc. Kids today are alot more athletic than they were back then. Plus you have to remember that there are more kids and teams competing these days so that old system of one team making the playoffs just wouldn't be fair today.

All these scenario's are possibilities...look at the small Memphis teams...it's a lock that at least one goes 0-11. Shameful that no matter how little effort some put into their season, a playoff game will be "awarded". The region that they will face is tough, with lots of teams who bust their tails trying to make the playoffs, and fans who will fill the stands if they do. Probably two Memphis doormats will split a huge gate (due to the other team's fans), and "mail the game in", going 0-11. Baseball is the same...most often the team from Memphis who has to travel will forfeit...without penalty from TSSAA. Not biased against Memphis, that's just where these teams are located.

I have issues with what I highlighted above. So, I'm going to come to the defense of these small schools in Memphis because no one else will and the majority of the people who read these posts who deal with these small schools from Memphis may or may not view things from the same colored glasses to which you view them.

The men that coach these teams are heros in my book. The young men that make up those teams have far more grit and determination them most folks. Plain and simple.

It's easy to disparage the effort and fortitude that goes into what these men do. I can tell from your perspective that you think that little to no effort goes into what these men do. I on the other hand do not. They face gargantuan odds with little to no budget ... dealing with young men who have little to no support from classmates or parents and are closer to ending up being a statistic then being a high school graduate in a lot of cases. Yet, and still, they come back every week, after being ridiculed and castigated by everybody, trying to win a game when the odds are stacked so far against them, most folks would quit.

I doubt that anyone that has anything to do with any of those programs will read what I'm typing. That's not the point.

Those coaches and those young men BUST THEIR BUTTS everyday just to field a team. If they win a game ... that's monumental, to say the least.

It's real easy to throw stones and to piously denegrate another man's effort ... or what is deemed as 'lack of effort' from afar.

I don't think that most of the people who are reading this could do what these people do ... not consistently. Most if not all would quit.

I'm going to take a different approach. I'm going to give these men a great big kudos ... keep up the good work.

Yet in still ... you seem to think they are being rewarded for getting a playoff game.

S ... M ... H

Edited by kwc

Agree however, travel for large schools was never an issue. It was the smaller schools with less money that complained about the travel costs. Unfortunately Bradley is just in an unfortunate location just like Henry Co. Things you have no control over but have to deal with.

Not an issue? Gate pays the freight. With this year's long distance visitors we are seeing barely a few hundred visitors show up as opposed to the counts we used to get. Gate is down, and expenses are up. And it costs far more to take a big team traveling as well. Just because you are a bigger school does not mean they are flush with cash and can just do whatever.

Edited by alt1958

I think it's funny that the older guys think they had a harder time making the playoffs. Back in those days unathletic white guys were all-stars. You didn't have everyone in weight training, going to training camps, taking supplements etc. Kids today are alot more athletic than they were back then. Plus you have to remember that there are more kids and teams competing these days so that old system of one team making the playoffs just wouldn't be fair today.

It's quite simple really. Win the District to advance, or stay home and get ready for the next season coming up. Actually we had some pretty athletic guys.

Why wouldn't it be fair. Everyone knows what the  odds were then and would be now.

Oh BTW, We used to play Baylor regularly and even beat them at times. Actually did the year we won state. We would have no trouble with Maryville in our district. We would say if we want to advance we gotta beat them. If not, so be it.

Its gonna happen in region 8 in 2a probably. Oakhaven hasn't won a game, but only 4 teams eligible for post season.

I think they ought to come up with a ratio to figure out how many teams get in the playoffs from each region based on the size of the region.

Why should 4 get in from a 9 team region and 4 get in from a 5 team region.

Not an issue? Gate pays the freight. With this year's long distance visitors we are seeing barely a few hundred visitors show up as opposed to the counts we used to get. Gate is down, and expenses are up. And it costs far more to take a big team traveling as well. Just because you are a bigger school does not mean they are flush with cash and can just do whatever.

What I was saying was that when travel became such a hot topic 8 or so years ago, the big schools were not the ones voicing that opinion very loudly. It was the smaller schools. Generally the larger schools have more ability to travel more in spite of a larger team or band etc. Yes it does still cost. I understand gate very well having to once again play the metro Nashville schools with very few fans compared to the county /city schools.