Winless team in playoffs possible, Thoughts?

hardtackle

All I am saying is that your enrollment should not dictate whether or not you get a post season. Your play during the season should. If you have a competitive region/district then you know what you have to do to get in at the beginning of the season as well. If you play in one that is not as competitive then that is what out of region/district games are for, to prepare for the post season and guage where you are at. Handing out trophies NEVER helped anybody. It's a joke and everybody knows it! It's all about money plain and simple. Sick of the T$$AA!!

The problem is regions aren't equal in difficulty. So you have teams that would be good enough to make the playoffs out of other regions missing the playoffs because their region is so tough. WB was a perfect example of this in the old district 4 AAA. We never qualified for the playoffs because the competition was so fierce in the district but we beat several playoff teams in non-district games during those years. What does that tell you? No matter how you slice it some teams are going to be getting the short end of the stick. There is no perfect system.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I am saying is that your enrollment should not dictate whether or not you get a post season. Your play during the season should. If you have a competitive region/district then you know what you have to do to get in at the beginning of the season as well. If you play in one that is not as competitive then that is what out of region/district games are for, to prepare for the post season and guage where you are at. Handing out trophies NEVER helped anybody. It's a joke and everybody knows it! It's all about money plain and simple. Sick of the T$$AA!!

So should it be 5 classes or only the top 16 of the super 32 get in?

So should it be 5 classes or only the top 16 of the super 32 get in?

If it was me, I would have 5 classes. Because of a huge disparity in school sizes, 5-A would have the largest 32 with the top 16 going to the playoffs. Equally divide the other 4 classes. There should not be any trouble with travel concerns that way. You could even go to 16 districts with the top 2 qualifying. That would be my choice. However 5 classes evenly divided would be fine as well.

The problem is regions aren't equal in difficulty. So you have teams that would be good enough to make the playoffs out of other regions missing the playoffs because their region is so tough. WB was a perfect example of this in the old district 4 AAA. We never qualified for the playoffs because the competition was so fierce in the district but we beat several playoff teams in non-district games during those years. What does that tell you? No matter how you slice it some teams are going to be getting the short end of the stick. There is no perfect system.

Get better or don't get in. A whole lot better than Upwards football!!

Get better or don't get in. A whole lot better than Upwards football!!

But that still doesn't address the issue of some teams having a much tougher road to get into the playoffs. Guys like you ridicule the current plan but don't seem to realize this. Is the "upward 32" any less fair than teams like WB having to compete with Maryville, Knox West, Farragut, Knox Catholic, Bearden, and Lenoir City etc. for a playoff spot while teams like Oak Ridge and Sevier County had cupcake districts where sucky teams routinely made the playoffs because those districts were so weak? No, its not fair. I'm not saying this to gripe, I'm just trying to prove a point. No matter how you slice it there's always going to be teams getting the short end of the stick in every plan. But I agree..... People should man up and compete wherever they get put. I just find it ironic that you say "get better or don't get in" when you are one of the most vocal people griping about 6A teams being the only ones automatically making the playoffs. I could say "get better or don't get in" to the whiners in classes 1-5 too but I'm not going to do that. Edited by Governors91

But that still doesn't address the issue of some teams having a much tougher road to get into the playoffs. Guys like you ridicule the current plan but don't seem to realize this. Is the "upward 32" any less fair than teams like WB having to compete with Maryville, Knox West, Farragut, Knox Catholic, Bearden, and Lenoir City etc. for a playoff spot while teams like Oak Ridge and Sevier County had cupcake districts where sucky teams routinely made the playoffs because those districts were so weak? No, its not fair. I'm not saying this to gripe, I'm just trying to prove a point. No matter how you slice it there's always going to be teams getting the short end of the stick in every plan. But I agree..... People should man up and compete wherever they get put. I just find it ironic that you say "get better or don't get in" when you are one of the most vocal people griping about 6A teams being the only ones automatically making the playoffs. I could say "get better or don't get in" to the whiners in classes 1-5 too but I'm not going to do that.

You can petition to get out of any district, it has been done before. Not every year are all those teams you mentioned really good. So realistically if your team cannot compete, or any other team that feels the surrounding teams are that much better, maybe it's your team that needs to do better. Yeah, I am vocal about it because it is ridiculous that teams get in just because of their enrollment. It is no different than saying every team that has red in their color scheme gets in. Life isn't fair but c'mon man at least compete for a spot instead of it get handed to you!!

Right now Antioch and Siegel are staring at that possibility. For Antioch its a very real possibility.

Antioch has to go to Lebanon this week and if they lose then they are pretty much guaranteed to finish 0-11. Because after that they would have McGavock and Ravenwood and they won't even come close in those games. Then of course they would play the #1 seed from Region 4 in the playoffs.

Siegel has Blackman this week so that streak will continue for another week. But after that they have Warren County and Coffee County. They will most likely beat Warren County. Siegel might be 0-7 but they can put up points. They have put up alot more points than Warren County against a much harder schedule.

Siegel lost 27-47 to Ravenwood the second most points Ravenwood has allowed all year. Ravenwood beat Lebanon 52-7. Lebanon beat Warren County 28-14.

Siegel lost 29-46 to Wilson Central. Wilson Central beat Lebanon 30-7. Lebanon beat Warren County 28-14.

Siegel lost 42-21 to Riverdale. Riverdale beat Warren County 45-3.

Siegel lost 49-30 to Oakland. Oakland beat Warren County 48-7.

In non-region games Siegel has played Ravenwood, Hendersonville and Wilson Central. While Warren County has played Dekalb County, Lebanon and Sequatchie.

All these scenario's are possibilities...look at the small Memphis teams...it's a lock that at least one goes 0-11. Shameful that no matter how little effort some put into their season, a playoff game will be "awarded". The region that they will face is tough, with lots of teams who bust their tails trying to make the playoffs, and fans who will fill the stands if they do. Probably two Memphis doormats will split a huge gate (due to the other team's fans), and "mail the game in", going 0-11. Baseball is the same...most often the team from Memphis who has to travel will forfeit...without penalty from TSSAA. Not biased against Memphis, that's just where these teams are located.

You can petition to get out of any district, it has been done before. Not every year are all those teams you mentioned really good. So realistically if your team cannot compete, or any other team that feels the surrounding teams are that much better, maybe it's your team that needs to do better. Yeah, I am vocal about it because it is ridiculous that teams get in just because of their enrollment. It is no different than saying every team that has red in their color scheme gets in. Life isn't fair but c'mon man at least compete for a spot instead of it get handed to you!!

Not very good? Two of those team won state titles and most of those other teams had atleast one deep playoff run (atleast third round) during the time of that district. That district was easily one of the toughest in the state and the surrounding ones in East Tennessee were a joke in comparison. My point is not all districts are equal so all the teams in 6A getting a first round game isnt a huge advantage. Look at WB's rival Heritage. They are in 5A this year and are undefeated in region play thus far. Heritage hasn't been to the playoffs since 2000 and they haven't had a .500 record since then either. Well here they are in the new 5A class about to host a playoff game this year. What does that tell you about the level of competition in that district? So does WB really have it easier than Heritage because we get a gimme first round game to go get spanked by Oakland while Heritage gets to host a playoff game? I'd much rather compete in 5A and only have to win 2 region games to make the playoffs than be in 6A and automatically get a playoff spot.

All this is due to the T$$AA  being greedy and won't back down on the money their taking in so they refuse to do the right things to make the level of playing fair. I've heard many great suggestions from people on this board but it's a shame none of them set on the T$$AA. When you see that 75-80% of the games being played were run away's or blowouts then the system in place isn't working. Do you ever turn the TV on and say 70 channels and nothing is on , well the same with high school football. I look to go to a game within decent driving distance and say none are worth going to because you know what the outcome will be.

Not very good? Two of those team won state titles and most of those other teams had atleast one deep playoff run (atleast third round) during the time of that district. That district was easily one of the toughest in the state and the surrounding ones in East Tennessee were a joke in comparison. My point is not all districts are equal so all the teams in 6A getting a first round game isnt a huge advantage. Look at WB's rival Heritage. They are in 5A this year and are undefeated in region play thus far. Heritage hasn't been to the playoffs since 2000 and they haven't had a .500 record since then either. Well here they are in the new 5A class about to host a playoff game this year. What does that tell you about the level of competition in that district? So does WB really have it easier than Heritage because we get a gimme first round game to go get spanked by Oakland while Heritage gets to host a playoff game? I'd much rather compete in 5A and only have to win 2 region games to make the playoffs than be in 6A and automatically get a playoff spot.

different teams different years not consitantly every year. One thing that seems consistent in your argument is that WB wasn't good enough to make it. Not once have I said your region wasn't good. You seem to only want what benefits WB, by judging by your arguments, and not what is best for Tennessee football and the others involved as a whole. That is where you lose the argument. Nothing I said has been beneficial to the team I support more of a fair statement for all not involved in this "hand me an extra game" mentality. It's all about money. And just so nobody gets the wrong idea WB does not deserve to go the postseason right now and neither does Gallatin!!!